• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Teachers here not as respected as those in China, Malaysia, Taiwan and even New Zealand

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
Do Singaporeans reckon teachers here are "very mediocre people" ?

"If teachers want to have high status they should work in classrooms in China, Malaysia or Taiwan, because an international survey suggests these are the countries where teaching is held in the highest public esteem."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46063947

Singapore ranks at number 10 only because money talks, bullshit walks? It would appear a person in our society is only entitled to an amount of respect commensurate with the size of his/her salary: https://www.todayonline.com/big-read/big-read-invisible-people-class-conscious-society

Top 10 for teacher status

1. China

2. Malaysia

3. Taiwan

4. Russia

5. Indonesia

6. South Korea

7. Turkey

8. India

9. New Zealand

10. Singapore

More at Teachers here not as respected as those in China, Malaysia, Taiwan and even New Zealand

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's no more held in high esteem, same like missy / nurses as in the past.
perhaps due to pay, parking issues and ft's filling these professions nowsadays :frown:

tun_dr_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teachers must to this to kids then they will respect.

My family late senior was headmaster in a school where most students were from farmer families. One day a pig farmer whose son was a notorious trouble maker and rebel came to school crying and brought with him a largest cane I ever saw. Long and thick and beg the headmaster. He said I had no education and don't know how to teach my kid that is way he is so bad disciplined. Pse help me headmaster educate my boy with this thick cane, so that he will not become a farmer like me. I beg you.

I was a student there also. Pee in my pants seeing that cane, if whacked my ass I Lao Sai instantly.

a_korusawa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have oledi returned my books more than 20 years ago, dunno if I'm considered the pioneer card . . . . .
during my time, teachers are all highly respected regardless of pay during my primary school days to early secondary
but i witnessed the transitions of attitude towards educators!
90s was the time when haolian parents surfaced; these are the ones who earned more and hence yaya papaya in demands
then major changes to MOE started thereafter, new nonsensical methods in the name of creative teachings begun all around the island
MOE teachers become very defensive towards parents-teachers relationships
gradually, MOE defends their reputation regardless by applying bad examples of abovementioned to cover all their teachers.

today, MOE has camouflaged their arrogance and screw-ups new systems that only to be discovered as flops when casualties become obvious - too late for many parents
put it this way, MOE is the main instrument that industrializes the continuous rise of thousands dollars tuition classes and private tuition.....

Approved text books have become rubbishes & useless these days, approved curriculum has become nonsensical to academic excellence these days

when such nonsensical directives, how would there turn up to be good respected good teachers these days?
Yes, there are . . . . but they are also struggling to join the 'dark side' or MOE gangs
MOE only promotes those sah kah or boot-lickers to become departmental heads
good teachers whom focused on educating only will be forced out by these sah-kah heads!
hence, can our teachers deserved the respects?

YES! they deserved but do be mindful . . . . .

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal
china? lots of the FL in gaylang are ex-teachers in china... pay too low some here for a few bang bucks

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in the past, teachers were more respected. they can anyhow slap and cane students, students were scared of teachers. siao ah.

Focus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect that our teachers are most highly paid. It shows how respectable they are.

2q2ra8h.jpg