• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taxi / Cabs In Singapore Fall In Here

hochiminhcity

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like to share my experience of being a part time taxi driver 6years ago.
I took up driving during the difficult SAR period when I was in transition ,looking for Job.
I once pick up an AH Beng, dealing with Gold auction from pawn shop.
He will buy those unredeemed Gold from pawn shop.
I send him to his destination in Jurong Town hall, after dropping him off I proceed to city to look for customer.
on the way I hear a phone ring at the back seat, I pick it up and answer the phone.
I realised he has forgotten his phone and proceed back with empty cab to returned it to him.
I think it the right thing to do and dont expect anything from the favor.

If i want to keep the Nokia phone I would have left it unanswer and switch it off.

What i am saying,is that there are some honest taxi driver out there making an honest living.
Driving taxi is also hard work ,is an occupation hazard as well.
Now , I appreciate those taxi driver who fetch me,and i enjoy chatting with them.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
may i ask which trade are you in now? gold smuggling:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I like to share my experience of being a part time taxi driver 6years ago.
I took up driving during the difficult SAR period when I was in transition ,looking for Job.
I once pick up an AH Beng, dealing with Gold auction from pawn shop.
He will buy those unredeemed Gold from pawn shop.
I send him to his destination in Jurong Town hall, after dropping him off I proceed to city to look for customer.
on the way I hear a phone ring at the back seat, I pick it up and answer the phone.
I realised he has forgotten his phone and proceed back with empty cab to returned it to him.
I think it the right thing to do and dont expect anything from the favor.

If i want to keep the Nokia phone I would have left it unanswer and switch it off.

What i am saying,is that there are some honest taxi driver out there making an honest living.
Driving taxi is also hard work ,is an occupation hazard as well.
Now , I appreciate those taxi driver who fetch me,and i enjoy chatting with them.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is something i want to share with you all, when i told my colleagues that i used to drive a cab, they actually laughed at me.:(
on top of that, as i have suffered a mental breakdown before due to the tekaning and harrassing by ISD, mr H_O and his cronies, i now a bit weird in my emotions and how i interact with my colleagues. My boss quite smart, when he looked at me and i think he can sense that, he hinted to me that they plan to list the company in few years time and cannot afford to offend people in power.:(
Although he didn't probe, i think he can see it in my eyes what shit i went thru. pple laughed and make fun of me, i can tahan!
on the other hand, I have been praying day and nite for karma to strike the pple who put me thru this shit.

hochiminhcity

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont worry about what other people say or think.

what go around will come back to them.

I am now posted oversea for the last 4 years plus.

I have a friend who still drive taxi after he was release from prison.
He has turn over a new leaf , and is earning a decent living supporting his family.He is much a happy man now,finding peace and enjoying his time with family.life is too short ,just be yourself .

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Need to open taxi licence to PRC talent to improve the standard of service. I have a regular taxi driver for my staff to run errands, he is now citizen of S'pore after 11 years here, initially from Shandong. Superb service. We need more PRCs here

Y

Yip Hon

>

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_599564.html

FIRST WORLD TRANSPORT SYSTEM

BUT THIRD WORLD MINDSET ( OF TAXI DRIVERS )

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ST Forum

Home > ST Forum > Story

Nov 5, 2010

CHOOSY TAXI DRIVERS

Possible abuses

LIKE Mr Daniel Tan ('So many empty taxis, none available'; Oct 16), I too see many empty cabs cruising on the roads during peak hours, ignoring people queueing at taxi stands.

I suspect some of these cabbies do not depend on the trade for their livelihood. Once they have earned enough to cover their daily taxi rental, they are likely to use the vehicles for their personal errands.

Some others also serve only passengers who make a booking.

I hope taxi operators will consider the possibility of such abuses and have a process to weed out the culprits.

Another unprofessional practice among taxi drivers is their habit of asking a passenger which route he wishes to take.

Singapore is a tiny island and taxi drivers should know the best route to different destinations.

Eric Chia

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Latest comments
ST_Reader7 - People want to get rich at the shortest possible time with least effort. Don't blame them. Nobody wants to be left grappling at the bottom all the time. Don't forget some of the taxi drivers are not there because they love the job, they have no choice. We easily have the best educated taxi drivers in the world. They know how to run their business profitably.
Posted by: Misnomer at Fri Nov 05 14:54:52 SGT 2010

in all my travels, this is the worst place to hail cab" - a comment from a tourist that will always stay in my mind. Unfortunatley this comment is shared by many locals too.
I am amazed that this level of service is tolerated by a govt that stresses excellence.
Posted by: careconnect at Fri Nov 05 14:52:51 SGT 2010

The numerous feedback on the state of our taxi service must have indicated that our taxi service is not where it should be. I really would like to see our transport authorities come out and address this. It is one of the worst service in the developed world both to locals & tourists, unless of course you want to compare with the 3rd world.
Posted by: careconnect at Fri Nov 05 14:49:41 SGT 2010

The numerous feedback on the state of our taxi service must have indicated that our taxi service is not where it should be. I really would like to see our transport authorities come out and address this. It is one of the worst service in the developed world both to locals & tourists, unless of course you want to compare this with the 3rd world.
Posted by: careconnect at Fri Nov 05 14:48:24 SGT 2010

Misnomer. Just a side note. I do think something is really wrong with the taxi service now. I believe this system of surcharges is causing the problems. A review needs to be in place. I hardly take taxis but when I did take them this week 3 days in a row I notice many 3rd world practices which are not right. Harmful to citizens. Harmful to the nation. Wonder what the govt is thinking?
Posted by: ST_Reader7 at Fri Nov 05 14:44:27 SGT 2010

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_599574.html

Nov 5, 2010

Uniquely Singapore

'Nowhere else have I seen so many uninterested taxi drivers cruising past.'

MR KENSON KWOK: 'As a daily taxi user, I fully empathise with Mr Daniel Tan's frustration ('So many empty taxis, none available'; Oct 16). Not only do taxi drivers shun passengers outside the restricted zone, those leaving such zones often do not stop either. Equally baffling are those drivers who switch their signs to 'hired' as soon as they see you hailing them. Could it be that our taxi drivers are not 'hungry' enough? Nowhere else have I seen so many uninterested taxi drivers cruising past. Does this 'uniquely Singapore' problem have to do with a lack of service mentality? Must we be compelled to book a taxi in order to even get near one?'

Cost issue

'Has LTA been measuring the effectiveness of surcharges?'

MR TAN KOK YONG: 'I have been a regular taxi user during both peak and non-peak hours in Orchard Road. It is not easy to hail a taxi during peak hours despite the surcharges in place. Taxis are meant to be a form of public transport, but with the surcharge system in place, I feel it has become more a private means of transport for the more affluent. Some taxi drivers will also take advantage of surcharges to boost their income. They choose their passengers, waiting for bookings rather than picking up people along the street. Has the Land Transport Authority (LTA) been measuring the effectiveness of such surcharges?'

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Y

Yip Hon

To : NUS / NTU Professors Of
Business & Economics

Dear Sirs ,

RE : WHAT IS THE ACTUAL / FAIR

TAXI CHARGES BASED ON CURRENT

INFLATION RATE AND COST OF LIVING INDEX IN

SINGAPORE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Kindly provide a Economic Model and Paper on what
should be the FAIR TAXI charges in Singapore .

2. Our current starting meter fare starts from S$2.80
to S$3.00 to S$5.00 .

3. My own estimate is that Singapore Passengers are
paying at least 2 to 3 times cheaper that other
1st world country.

4. Recently there was a report that Singaporean are
2nd richest in Asia .

5. But is our taxi fare the 2nd highest in Asia ?

6. Your report and paper will help to put some
common sense to people before they write their
next complaint letter to the ST Forum !!!

7. Many Thanks .

Bro Yip Hon

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Y

Yip Hon

>

http://www.tokyotopia.com/tokyo-taxi.html

>

Tokyo Taxi

When you need a Tokyo taxi, the first rule of thumb is to have the address of your destination written down in Japanese if at all possible. Exceptions to this would be major Tokyo hotels and companies, although even then there's no guarantee that your driver will know the exact location.

Tokyo is a maze of both major and minor roads. The taxi drivers need all the help they can get!

How Much is a Tokyo Taxi? So how much will you need to spend if you want to take a cab in Tokyo?

It's pretty straight forward - it's just not the cheapest option. From the beginning of your journey, until you get to the 2km mark, the initial fare is usually ¥710. From then on, for every 274m traveled, add on another ¥80. If you get stuck in traffic, not an unheard of eventuality in Tokyo - you can add on another ¥80 for approximately every 2 minutes of being stationary.

At night, between the hours of 11pm and 5am there's an additional surcharge of around 30% added to the above. You can tell when a taxi has altered it's meter to the extra fare as it will show a green light in the window.

If you are coming into Tokyo International Airport, make sure you plan your route into the city.

A taxi will cost in the region of ¥30,000. Want to convert these prices? See the converter at the bottom of our Tokyo Prices page.

>

Y

Yip Hon

>

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/transport_i...nsport/taxi/taxi_fare_of_hong_kong/index.html

Taxi Fare In Hong Kong

Urban Taxi
New Territories Taxi
Lantau Taxi
Notes to Passengers

Fare Table- Urban Taxi
Fare (HK$)
First 2 kilometres or any part thereof $ 18

Every subsequent 200 metres or part thereof /
Every period of 1 minute waiting time or part thereof
For meter fare below $70.5
For meter fare of $70.5 and above

$ 1.5
$ 1

Additional Charges
Every baggage (except light personal hand baggage carried inside vehicle compartment) $ 5
Wheelchairs and crutches carried by disabled passengers Free
Every animal or bird $ 5
Every hiring arranged through telephone booking $ 5
Surcharge for Using Toll Tunnel or Toll Road
Cross-Harbour Tunnel Amount of toll paid by driver + $10*(return toll)
Eastern Harbour Crossing Amount of toll paid by driver + $15*(return toll)
Western Harbour Crossing Amount of toll paid by driver + $15*(return toll)
* The return toll is not payable if -

the hiring begins from a cross-harbour taxi stand, or

the final destination is not on the opposite side of the harbour

Lantau Link $ 30
Other toll tunnels and toll roads Amount of toll paid by driver
Fare Table- New Territories Taxi (Since 16 January 2009)
Fare (HK$)
First 2 kilometres or any part thereof $ 14.5
For meter fare below $53.5
For meter fare of $53.5 and above

$ 1.3
$ 1

Additional Charges
Every baggage (except light personal hand baggage carried inside vehicle compartment) $ 4
Every animal or bird $ 4
Every hiring arranged through telephone booking $ 4
Surcharge for Using Toll Tunnel or Toll Road
Lantau Link $ 30
Other toll tunnels and toll roads Amount of toll paid by driver

Fare Table- Lantau Taxi
Fare (HK$)
First 2 kilometres or any part thereof $ 13

For meter fare below $130
For meter fare of $130 and above

$ 1.3
$ 1.2

Additional Charges
Every baggage (except light personal hand baggage carried inside vehicle compartment) $ 5
Every animal or bird $ 5
Every hiring arranged through telephone booking $ 5

Notes to passengers :

Baggage / animals and birds charge :

As a general rule, baggage charge may be levied on :
every piece of baggage that is carried inside the luggage compartment, and
every piece of baggage with total dimensions (length + width + height) exceeding 140 cm that is carried inside the passenger compartment
Wheelchairs and crutches of passengers with disabilities are carried free of charge.
The terms and conditions on the carriage of animals and birds are at the sole discretion of the taxi driver.
Fare receipt :

Passengers can ask for a fare receipt. In case the receipt printing device fails to operate or the taximeter has not yet been recalibrated after a fare increase, the taxi driver should issue a hand-written receipt or write the new fare on the printed receipt.
Change :

It is not an offence if a taxi driver cannot give change to HK$500 or HK$1,000 notes. However, the taxi driver should entertain the passenger¡¦s request for change as far as possible.

Y

Yip Hon

>>

http://www.asiaone.com/Travel/News/Story/A1Story20080108-44110.html

>>>

Year 2008

The Straits Times , Sat 5 Jan 2008

Taxi price check

Taxi fares in S'pore are up, but passengers here still pay lower fares than in some cities in Asia. Correspondents at Straits Times bureaus across Asia checked the price of a 10km ride.

Sat, Jan 05, 2008

The Straits Times

Taxi fares are up, but passengers here still pay lower fares than in some cities in Asia. Fare hikes last month raised the price of a cab ride by 5 to 35 per cent. Correspondents at Straits Times bureaus across Asia checked the price of a 10km ride (converted to US dollars). They also supplied the equivalent number of McDonald's Big Macs for comparison.

Bangkok

10km fare: 70 baht (US$2)

TAXI fares in Bangkok have remained unchanged for 14years but are likely to go up soon. For most cabbies, this will be a relief.

The flag-down rate will stay at 35baht but the metered fare is expected to rise slightly. Based on an average 14 trips a day, cabbies will earn 100 baht more a day - the price of two meals at a roadside stall.

Bangkok has 150,000 cabbies who earn about 1,400baht a day, or just over 40,000baht a month. There are no peak-hour, city-area or midnight surcharges.

For cabby Wichean Laetrong, 41, a large chunk of his earnings goes to paying off the loan he took to buy his taxi. He said he cannot afford a holiday or any sick days. 'I have to take care of my health and not do anything stupid.'

NIRMAL GHOSH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beijing

10km fare: 25 yuan (US$3.40)

MORE farmers from the city's outskirts are choosing to drive taxis. There are about 67,000 taxis in Beijing, a city of 14million people. Competition for passengers is stiff.

An experienced taxi driver can earn 4,000 yuan to 5,000yuan a month working 12 hours a day. But on average, cabbies make about 2,000 yuan a month, which is lower than the 3,000 yuan that the average Beijing worker earns.

Cabby Liang Junqi, 45, earns about 4,000 yuan a month and says his earnings have not increased since he started driving a taxi in 1991.

'It was a lot of money 10 years ago, but nowadays, it is not much for a family of three,' he said.

'I'm not satisfied with the quality of life. To make ends meet, I can't enjoy holidays or weekends, and I'm cooped up in a car all day with no chance to exercise.'

CLARISSA OON

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hong Kong

10km fare: HK$80 (US$10.20)

HONG KONG'S cabbies are feeling the positive effects of a rebounding economy.

Cabby Sun Yik Tak, 57, for example, earned about HK$100 a day on average two years ago. Now, he earns four or five times more. 'More people are taking taxis, and many times, the foreigners working here don't even wait for their change,' he said.

Taxi fares in Hong Kong start at HK$15 in the city centre and HK$13.50 in the suburban New Territories. There are no peak-hour or midnight surcharges.

Cabbies hope the Government will approve an application by the taxi trade to increase the starting fares by HK$1.

'Fuel increase is a fact and people these days won't bother with a HK$1 increase,' said cabby Chan Tsz Kee, 38.

VINCE CHONG

Singapore

10km fare: $8.90 (US$6.20) for non-peak and $12 (US$8.35) for peak hours. Various surcharges apply at the airport, in the CBD, after midnight, on weekends and public holidays, among others

BUSINESS has slowed down for taxi drivers since the recent fare increase. But the higher fares have helped offset having fewer passengers.

Cabby Ng Kian Tiong, 47, said his takings average $80 a day - largely unchanged.

'The number of trips has dropped slightly, but the higher fares mean our income is more or less stable,' said Mr Ng, who has been driving for 17 years.

Married with three children, aged 18 to 26, Mr Ng lives in a four-room HDB flat. Supplemented by what his wife makes in a tailor shop, household income is '$3,000 plus'.

Their last holiday together was three years ago, to Malacca and Kuala Lumpur.

'I can't afford to go on long trips,' he said. 'I have to drive almost every day.'

CHRISTOPHER TAN

Jakarta

10km fare: 20,000 rupiah (US$2.10) to 25,000 rupiah (US$2.65)

TAXI flag-down rates went up from 4,000 rupiah to 5,000 rupiah in 2005, but small cab companies implemented the change for only a week.

'Cabs were becoming too expensive with the new rate. We couldn't get enough fares to pay the daily rental (about 170,000 rupiah),' said cabby Rizki Teguh, 47.

His company reverted to the 4,000 rupiah flag-down rate.

Mr Rizki works an 18-hour shift and takes the next day off, handing the taxi over to another driver who works the same marathon shift.

His average income is two million rupiah a month.

He became a taxi driver after losing his job as a restaurant manager.

'It's difficult to get another job at my age. Hence, becoming a taxi driver is an obvious choice,' said the father of four.

Jakarta cabbies do not charge more during peak hours or after midnight.

Only at the airport is there a surcharge of between 6,000 rupiah and 10,000 rupiah, depending on the distance to the destination.

SALIM OSMAN

Kuala Lumpur

10km fare: RM13 (US$4) for non-peak and RM20 (US$6) for peak hours

CABBY Mohamad Jamal Salleh, 46, works 12 hours a day, five or six days a week, and earns between RM2,800 and RM3,000 a month.

It is a tough life as there is an abundance of taxis, he said.

Passengers can opt to take buses or Light Rapid Transit trains to get around. The express trains from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport to downtown KL, and buses which go to the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal, cost a lot less and are efficient too. A taxi ride costs RM75 to RM100 from the airport, whereas it is just RM8 by bus.

Said Mr Mohamad Jamal: 'I definitely cannot afford to go on overseas holidays.'

Fellow cabby Husin Suboh, 55, said: 'Being a taxi driver is not to be wealthy. It's simply to survive.'

HAZLIN HASSAN

Taipei

10km fare (late-night surcharge applies from 11pm): NT$300 (US$9.20)

IN TAIPEI city, passengers wait just two minutes on average for a taxi, even during peak hours. For a population of about 2.6million, there are 31,580 taxis - about one taxi for every 82 people. Singapore, with more than four million people and about 23,000 taxis, has one cab to 174 people.

Taxi fares in Taipei are among the lowest in Taiwan even after a fare adjustment last November - the first hike in seven years. Companies can review fares every two years but are reluctant to do so, for fear of driving away passengers.

Drivers work between 10 and 14hours a day and earn between NT$35,000 and NT$40,000 a month. Said cabby Yao Chung-ming, 55: 'I am against raising fares, it scares passengers away, especially when times are bad.'

ONG HWEE HWEE

Tokyo

10km fare: 4,040 yen (US$36.70)

THE average yearly income of a cabby in Tokyo is 4.31million yen, almost 2.5million yen lower than the average for all industries.

One reason for their lower income is that there is no limit on the number of cabs on the road. In March last year, there were 35,000 taxis, an increase of 2,000 since 1997.

Most cabbies own their taxis and work for themselves. But some, like Mr Takahiro Furusawa, 48, are hired by a cab company and receive a commission on their earnings, with no basic pay. Under company rules, they cannot work more than 21 hours at a stretch, including rest breaks, and not more than 252 hours a month - that means 8.4 hours a day.

Mr Furusawa is entitled to 20 paid holidays a year. 'Our income is based entirely on commissions, if we don't work, we don't get paid. So it's not a paid holiday,' he said.

KWAN WENG KIN

Y

Yip Hon

>>>

Year 2009

>>>>>>

Mixed views on whether taxi fares should come down

By Asha Popatlal/ Hetty Musfirah, Channel Newsasia |

Posted: 20 February 2009 2220 hrs

SINGAPORE: Taxi drivers are having tough times as a result of the economic downturn. And the impending cut in public transport fares has some of them even more worried.

One taxi driver said: "(We are) definitely affected, because everyone will take bus and train, which are cheaper, taxis (are) so expensive."

A second said: "If the buses cut their fares and the other agencies cut their fares, we also want our fares to be cut."

MPs like Lim Biow Chuan and Cynthia Phua have said with people less willing to hop into a cab now, fares should follow the market.

Ong Kian Min, the vice-chairman of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport, said taxi driver associations need to work as a group to engage their companies.

In Singapore, the taxi industry is deregulated and fares are set by taxi companies.

President of CityCab Operators' Association, Robin Ng, said: "If there are any fare cuts, that will be a direct hit on our drivers' income. We understand that our company is working with corporate clients to give away taxi vouchers. This is another way to help our drivers to increase demand."

President of Premier Taxi Operators' Association, Foo Chi Yong, said: "We are appealing to the companies not to increase the supply of taxis anymore. So if the company continues to increase the supply of taxis, it will definitely affect the drivers."

But for taxi drivers, the competition may well get more intense, as the number of taxi licences issued has been on the rise. It has increased 43 per cent over a four-month period from last September.

Industry insiders say, historically, more people tend to turn towards taxi driving when the economic situation worsens. But during such times, demand for cabs may not be strong.

Latest figures from the Land Transport Authority showed that while numbers have been creeping up slowly since the economic downturn, the average daily taxi ridership fell 5.4 per cent last December from the previous year.

A member of the public said: "For consumers, we have a wider option, so let's say in case of emergency, I will take a taxi."

TransCab said it is reviewing the situation and is in discussions with the union.

Prime Taxis, which has about 500 cabs on the road, said it will look at how the big companies are reacting.

Comfort DelGro, the largest player with more than 15,000 cabs, said the company never comments on fares until it has an announcement to make.

- CNA/yt