• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Tan Chuan Jin Promoted To Become Speaker of Parliament! Congratulations!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, the speaker of Parliament does not even have to be an elected MP. 3 of our previous speakers were not even MP.

We also operate the Westminster model where the Executive must come from the legislature. There is no separation of power between the legislature and the executive.

In the US model where there is a clear separation of power, it's the institution and not the individual except the Executive branch headed by the President. Both the majority leaders of House and Senate are similar to whips only. There is no leader of legislature.

The Speaker is the head of the legislature, one of the 3 branches of government, the others being: the executive (led by LHL), and the judiciary (CJ Sundaresh Menon). So, technically, it is not a demotion.

It's good to see TCJ hit his potential so young.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Junior Minister abt $1.1m a year. Speaker abt $0.5m a year.

Minister has a ministry to manage. Speaker easy job. Severe demotion. Next step is out of politics.

This demotion can be due to either one of two reasons:
1. Severe bad performance
2. Sickness.

Tan c j , can opt to stay in the Command House.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaker is a dumping ground with no executive power. This spell the end of the road for tcj as far as leadership succession is concerns. In other words he was kicked out of cabinet and offer a consolation post.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When someone says i hope I have fought the good fight , kept the faith and finished the race, he means he is coming to the end.

Given a choice , TCH will not want to be the speaker. It is against his wish. But this is TOP down .

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Speaker of Parliament is just like a moderator in the forum.

So now he gets paid as Minister ? If not, how much is a Speaker of Parliament paid ? And Speaker of Parliament is not a full-time job, apparently.

Meaning Tan does not hold a full time job ?

Speaker of PArliament is $550K a year salary plus MP pay of $16K a month. TCJ was making over $1.5 million as Ministar, plus $16K as MP, plus SAF Pension based on his last rank of BG, plus salary as President of SNOC. So his salary as Ministar was easily over $2 million. I would say he took a haircut for the Speaker job.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are a Christian who actually practices what the bible teaches, it will be hard to support many of the positions taken by cabinet. The move to Speaker might seem to be demotion to many. It however might be welcome relief for him as he no longer has to compromise his personal principles and beliefs.

TCJ has disagreed with a number of positions taken by the cabinet.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speaker of PArliament is $550K a year salary plus MP pay of $16K a month. TCJ was making over $1.5 million as Ministar, plus $16K as MP, plus SAF Pension based on his last rank of BG, plus salary as President of SNOC. So his salary as Ministar was easily over $2 million. I would say he took a haircut for the Speaker job.

Well he could always complain and they might slot him a mayor post. That's easily another 1 mill per year.
Now I hope PE no walkover..... so Halimah lose elections and jobless

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rightfully, in line with our splendid gahmen's move towards racial equality in the public service...it is time for an Ah Neh Speaker.

So far we have Cina, 1 Melayu and 1 Chap Cheng Kia, so it is time for a keling.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
parliament speaker. high pay and stress-free cushy job. can be next president. congratulations to him. huat ah !

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The only reason I can think of for TCJ taking the Speaker job is that he is promised the President job after Halimah .

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

can easily make up on loss of pay by collecting director's fees and earning dividends on 69 boards. as speaker can find much time to just sit around, talk cock, and kiau kar. better and more relac than a ministar.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only reason I can think of for TCJ taking the Speaker job is that he is promised the President job after Halimah .

LHL already said he will step down as PM after next GE. The man himself could be eyeing the President post after HY has finished serving her one term appointment.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
can easily make up on loss of pay by collecting director's fees and earning dividends on 69 boards. as speaker can find much time to just sit around, talk cock, and kiau kar. better and more relac than a ministar.

Please la, if u want to sit on the board, then u better have some power. Not a minister? They will tell him to fuck off!

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are a Christian who actually practices what the bible teaches, it will be hard to support many of the positions taken by cabinet. The move to Speaker might seem to be demotion to many. It however might be welcome relief for him as he no longer has to compromise his personal principles and beliefs.

It would have been better for him to quit altogether like Lui Tuck Yew....Even as Speaker he is still part of the establishment.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"May God continue to grant me wisdom, courage and love in all that I do. However inadequate as I may be, I hope that I can fight the good fight, finish the race and keep the faith."

These words are usually reserved for the obituary pages - he has just admitted his political death.

He can be our first Cardboard Speaker.