• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sylvia Lim has suggested 25% income tax for those earning above $1 million.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
do all rich view paying their taxes as punishment? the more enlightened ones see it as their duty to return to society for giving them the opportunity to prosper.
Of course it's punishment. The rich owe society nothing. It is society who owe the rich for the opportunities the wealthy create.

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'll be the first to vote her out. KNN I work all my life to reach that stage so I can fulfill my dreams to own a big car and big house, and she wants to tax me gao gao for it? To hell with his bitch. She can suck my dog's furry balls.:oIo:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course it's punishment. The rich owe society nothing. It is society who owe the rich for the opportunities the wealthy create.

Yes, and people like you masturbate to Ayn Rand's writings.

http://www.alternet.org/print/econo...-and-billionaire-empowerment-plaguing-america

But to Ayn Rand, a government that taxed billionaires to help pay for healthcare and education for impoverished children was not just unwise economically, it was also immoral.

Which explains why Corporate America paid an average tax rate of just 12% in 2011 – the lowest rate in 40 years. It explains why 400 billionaires in America now own more wealth than 150 million other Americans combined. And it explains why fewer impoverished Americans are getting less federal assistance than at any time in the last half-century.

Ayn Rand envisioned a world without governments – a world where the super-rich are free to do as they wish.

We tried that during the so-called Gilded Age of the late 19th Century – before Ayn Rand was alive. If she'd watched the ruthlessness of the Robber Barons like she did the Bolsheviks, she may have reached different conclusions.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
she wants us all to move towards communism
take from the rich and give some to the poor, while the majority of the booty goes into don't know whose coffer.
There are two extremes on this scale, one is communism and the other is capitalism.

Unchecked capitalism will simply lead to eventual chaos as the rich gather sufficient wealth to crush and corrupt the system to gather even more wealth for themselves, and to ensure that their untalented offsprings continue to rule the world.

Nothing wrong in wanting singapore to shift away from current extreme capitalism policy. What Sylvia proposed is no where near communism.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All this Mps or I say law makers are fuck up... The ministers earn more than 1 million per year.. so they increase a little for those above 1 million..

Sylvia Lim currently earn less than a million a year, so she suggested to increase the tax of those above 1 million... Next time when she earn more than a million a year.. She will suggest to reduce the tax above a million... All only think of themselves...

She should suggest on the increase of tax which she is in.. maybe increase to tax 50% of those who earn 120K per year... since MPs are paid above 10K per month..:biggrin::biggrin:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal

If the rich paid for their own police, civil defence, fire brigade, hospitals, army, roads, trafiic lights, drainage system, sewage, water and electrical systems, schools and judiciary they would be poorer than the poor we have today. The rich leech on the rest of SG society.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the rich paid for their own police, civil defence, fire brigade, hospitals, army, roads, trafiic lights, drainage system, sewage, water and electrical systems, schools and judiciary they would be poorer than the poor we have today. The rich leech on the rest of SG society.
Haha. Best reply. Yeah, if ah Sam thinks that the rich owes nobody anything, then can the rich please self deport to dubai or a deserted pacific island like NZ and live on their own without paying any tax.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A better system would be zero income tax for all.
20% tax for corporates with 5 year tax shelter for start ups.
All revenues should come from GST, import tax, COE, alcohol, cigarettes etc.

Honey,
This is the first time I truly agree with you from the bottom of my heart
Not forgetting those summonses throughout the carparks in Singapore
We had quite a substantial tickets in the opposition wards.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
We should go back to the original intention of taxation - to pay for public goods i.e. goods that cannot be consumed to the exclusion of others. By that measure, there is very little basis for progressive tax since the utility from the public good is generally equal for a poor man or a rich man. Perhaps the rich man should pay a little more since he enjoys more utility from the security services like the police and the regulatory services like the central bank.

Then taxes started to become used to fund welfare. At the absolute necessity level I have no qualms. Unfortunately, welfare creep has caused taxes to be used to fund welfare for people beyond the absolute necessity level.

So, you believe the poor & lower income should pay higher taxes proportionately?

Can you stop bolding?

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

60% of Singaporeans pay no income tax so I don't know what you're on about.

On the other hand, 0.4% of the taxpayers who earn a million or more a year pay TWENTY FIVE PERCENT of the total income tax take which amounts to a whopping 1.4 BILLION DOLLARS.

Those who earned between $30,000 to $40,000 a year paid a paltry combined sum of $38 million dollars... a far cry from the $1.4 billion that the rich contributed.

If you look at the figures, it shows that the rich are pretty much paying the bulk of all public services.

You should get your facts straight before you shoot your mouth off. :rolleyes:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
We should go back to the original intention of taxation - to pay for public goods i.e. goods that cannot be consumed to the exclusion of others. By that measure, there is very little basis for progressive tax since the utility from the public good is generally equal for a poor man or a rich man. Perhaps the rich man should pay a little more since he enjoys more utility from the security services like the police and the regulatory services like the central bank.

Then taxes started to become used to fund welfare. At the absolute necessity level I have no qualms. Unfortunately, welfare creep has caused taxes to be used to fund welfare for people beyond the absolute necessity level.

Maybe taxes should be tagged to carbon tax. I am sure a rich man will utilise more of the earth resources than a poor man. A rich man may have a big house or many big houses vs a poor man, has many cars..., fly more, in biz or first class...etc. Therefore he uses more of the earth resources than a poor man...and by virtue of that, he should be taxed more since he consumed more of the earth resources. Of course he can avoid that by living a poor man's lifestyle and avoid paying the taxes. That would be great...because what gets us ...is how the rich like to flaunt their vulgar lifestyles in our face!!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
he should be taxed more since he consumed more of the earth resources. Of course he can avoid that by living a poor man's lifestyle and avoid paying the taxes. That would be great...because what gets us ...is how the rich like to flaunt their vulgar lifestyles in our face!!

The rich do get taxed more you twit. Are you ignorant, dumb, stupid, moronic or a combination all 4.

A 5 litre range rover pays a whopping 10 times more in road taxes than a honda civic.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck off. I think her $500k level is okay for this year. Next year it may have to be $1 million. :biggrin:

She should suggest on the increase of tax which she is in.. maybe increase to tax 50% of those who earn 120K per year... since MPs are paid above 10K per month..:biggrin::biggrin:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You may be right but considering the fact that the poor are the one who built the roads, houses, schools, hospitals etc to serve them
Isn't it ungrateful to claim it is a punishment when asked to contribute a little more which is made affordable to them?
Why didn't PAP compare our rich man tax rates with other countries when they do so in comparing transport fares?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You may be right but considering the fact that the poor are the one who built the roads, houses, schools, hospitals etc to serve them
Isn't it ungrateful to claim it is a punishment when asked to contribute a little more which is made affordable to them?
Why didn't PAP compare our rich man tax rates with other countries when they do so in comparing transport fares?

In the Singapore context, it's the foreigners who built the infrastructure and they've been doing it for the last 30 years after the last Samsui woman kicked the bucket.

These foreigners are now wealthy land owners after having gone back to their motherlands thanks in part to strong SGD and the relatively generous salaries that they earned while working in Singapore.

Without the wealth that Singapore generates, they would not have been presented with this opportunity.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why punish the successful because of the losers?

Because in today's society, the successful owe their success to the rank and file. Unless u r a top lawyer where u can be successful under your own steam, the rest owe their success to the team and not to individual effort alone. Eg even in soccer, yes u need a Ronaldo to do his special thing to break down the Utd defence, but he couldn't do it without the team. Should he be paid more...Yes but not so much more that it dwalfed the other's contribution.
In Singapore, it is worse. The rich are getting richer just because they got money to roll. If these monies were re-distributed downwards, I am sure soceity will be better off as the multipier effect will be greater. At least we dont fund the lambos and the Porches ...etc

tyudm

Alfrescian
Loyal

In the Singapore context, it's the foreigners who built the infrastructure and they've been doing it for the last 30 years after the last Samsui woman kicked the bucket.

These foreigners are now wealthy land owners after having gone back to their motherlands thanks in part to strong SGD and the relatively generous salaries that they earned while working in Singapore.

Without the wealth that Singapore generates, they would not have been presented with this opportunity.

you have no answer to his second part?

Last edited: