• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Swiss ban mosque minarets in surprise vote

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Swiss ban mosque minarets in surprise vote

* AP
* Published: 10:57 November 29, 2009

Geneva: Swiss voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional ban on minarets on Sunday, barring construction of the iconic mosque towers in a surprise vote that put Switzerland at the forefront of a European backlash against a growing Muslim population.

Muslim groups in Switzerland and abroad condemned the vote as biased and anti-Islamic. Business groups said the decision hurt Switzerland's international standing and could damage relations with Muslim nations and wealthy investors who bank, travel and shop there.

"The Swiss have failed to give a clear signal for diversity, freedom of religion and human rights," said Omar Al Rawi, integration representative of the Islamic Denomination in Austria, which said its reaction was "grief and deep disappointment."

The referendum by the nationalist Swiss People's Party labelled minarets as symbols of rising Muslim political power that could one day transform Switzerland into an Islamic nation. The initiative was approved 57.5 to 42.5 percent by some 2.67 million voters. Only four of the 26 cantons or states opposed the initiative, granting the double approval that makes it part of the Swiss constitution.

Muslims comprise about 6 percent of Switzerland's 7.5 million people. Many are refugees from the Yugoslav wars of the 1990s and about one in 10 actively practices their religion, the government says.

The country's four standing minarets, which won't be affected by the ban, do not traditionally broadcast the call to prayer outside their own buildings.

The sponsors of the initiative provoked complaints of bias from local officials and human-rights group with campaign posters that showed minarets rising like missiles from the Swiss flag next to a fully veiled woman. Backers said the growing Muslim population was straining the country "because Muslims don't just practice religion."

"The minaret is a sign of political power and demand, comparable with whole-body covering by the burqa, tolerance of forced marriage and genital mutilation of girls," the sponsors said.

They noted that Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has compared mosques to Islam's military barracks and called "the minarets our bayonets."

Anxieties about growing Muslim minorities have rippled across Europe in recent years, leading to legal changes in some countries. There have been French moves to ban the full-length body covering known as the burqa. Some German states have introduced bans on head scarves for Muslim women teaching in public schools. Mosques and minaret construction projects in Sweden, France, Italy, Austria, Greece, Germany and Slovenia have been met by protests.

But the Swiss ban in minarets, sponsored by the country's largest political party, was one of the most extreme reactions.

"It's a sad day for freedom of religion," said Mohammed Shafiq, the chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, a British youth organisation. "A constitutional amendment that's targeted towards one religious community is discriminatory and abhorrent."

He said he was concerned the decision could have reverberations in other European countries.

Amnesty International said the vote violated freedom of religion and would probably be overturned by the Swiss supreme court or the European Court of Human Rights.

The seven-member Cabinet that heads the Swiss government had spoken out strongly against the initiative but the government said it accepted the vote and would impose an immediate ban on minaret construction.

It said that "Muslims in Switzerland are able to practice their religion alone or in community with others, and live according to their beliefs just as before." It took the unusual step of issuing its press release in Arabic as well as German, French, Italian and English.

Sunday's results stood in stark contrast to opinion polls, last taken 10 days ago, that showed 37 percent supporting the proposal. Experts said before the vote that they feared Swiss had pretended during the polling that they opposed the ban because they didn't want to appear intolerant.

"The sponsors of the ban have achieved something everyone wanted to prevent, and that is to influence and change the relations to Muslims and their social integration in a negative way," said Taner Hatipoglu, president of the Federation of Islamic Organizations in Zurich. "Muslims indeed will not feel safe anymore."

The People's Party has campaigned mainly unsuccessfully in previous years against immigrants with campaign posters showing white sheep kicking a black sheep off the Swiss flag and another with brown hands grabbing eagerly for Swiss passports.

Geneva's main mosque was vandalised Thursday when someone threw a pot of pink paint at the entrance. Earlier this month, a vehicle with a loudspeaker drove through the area imitating a muezzin's call to prayer, and vandals damaged a mosaic when they threw cobblestones at the building.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
swiss is a strange country is different from most european state.
a lot of things are ban in switzerland.

that why it is call a nanny state.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is Switzerland's effort in protecting itself from being turned into another SBF poisoned by a leetahbar!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
SVP%20anti-minaret%20poster.jpg
minarett_initiative1253787025.jpg
Not+just+about+the+mosque+The+Pro+K%C3%B6ln+movement+has+roots+in+the+German+far+right.jpg
mosque14_185530a.jpg
no-mosque-sign.jpg

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please goggle Switzerland before embarrassing yourself further. That's why I said don't go near leetahbar even if he ups your reputation points. His slime will rub off on you!:biggrin:

boundThunter

Alfrescian
Loyal

What are the other things that are banned by the Swiss that are different from most european states.

Care to elaborate ?:confused:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please goggle Switzerland before embarrassing yourself further. That's why I said don't go near leetahbar even if he ups your reputation points. His slime will rub off on you!:biggrin:

please lah, dun disgrace yourself like PAP.

the banner is very big and clear, KOLN - cologne in english. Germany.

i do not know leetahbar. I just exchange points with him once. I do not know the forum history with him. I exchange points with anyone with similar points. I do not have friends to increase my points like you. None of my business. Please do not associate me with him.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
please lah, dun disgrace yourself like PAP.

the banner is very big and clear, KOLN - cologne in english. Germany.

i do not know leetahbar. I just exchange points with him once. I do not know the forum history with him. I exchange points with anyone with similar points. I do not have friends to increase my points like you. None of my business. Please do not associate me with him.

Waaah!! your rep points were not given by friends like mine, those are your words. Then given by who and for what?:biggrin:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WSCru_2GtNo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WSCru_2GtNo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

boundThunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Swiss are just being prudent and no big money from the middle east is going to pull out in this climate. Time to plan city spires and no domed minarets...

There will be a bloodbath in the bigger markets later in the day.

From New Zealand 2 hours ago...Small market to set the mood for today and the outlook is not encouraging and it is trickling down, no big panic yet but I will bet they will lose their lunches later on.

The New Zealand stock market continued its downward trajectory today on the back of global jitters from the Dubai debacle.

Telecom shares lifted from seven-month lows in early trading today, as the broader market edged down.

After closing at 240 on Friday, having dropped as far as 238 during the day, Telecom shares were up 3c to 243 a few minutes after the sharemarket opened for the week.

Methven shares gained 5c to 154 after the company reported underlying half year net profit down 3.2 percent to $4.2 million.

The company said the result was better than forecast, with a solid reduction in debt levels by reducing working capital and generating creditable group profitability.

Around 10.15am, the benchmark NZX-50 index was down 0.77 points to 3093.67, having fallen 32.9 points on Friday after Dubai asked creditors of its Dubai World for a six-month standstill on debt repayments

Shares falling early included NZX down 4c to 784, Fletcher Building down 3c to 770, Fisher & Paykel Appliances down 2c to 58, and Guinness Peat Group down 2c to 80.

In the United States, stocks tumbled on Friday as concerns about the Dubai situation ripped through world markets and served as a reminder of how fragile the financial system remains a year after it nearly collapsed.

The Dow Jones industrial index fell 1.5 percent to 10,309.92, the broader Standard & Poor's 500 index fell 1.7 percent to 1091.49, and the Nasdaq composite index fell 1.7 percent to 2138.44.

For the week, the Dow slipped 0.1 percent, breaking a three-week winning streak. The S&P 500 index rose less than 0.1 percent and the Nasdaq fell 0.4 percent.

NZPA

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What are the other things that are banned by the Swiss that are different from most european states.

Care to elaborate ?:confused:

switzerland

if you live in apartment, you are not allow to use your washing machine after 10 pm and not on sunday too. because it is too noisy for your neigbour.

if you live in apartment, you are not allow to flush the toilet after 10, because the flushing noise is too noisy for your neigbour.

if you live in apartment, you cannot pee while standing, because the noise created will disturb your neigbour.

swiss is the super nanny state of european, you will not find such law in other part of europe, or any where in the world.

swiss is very famous for their strange laws, a frog in the bottom of well like you will not know.

also their law made it that gov cannot decide certain issues, it must be put up for view by citizen to vote (PAP nightmare). they have a lot of voting there.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Waaah!! your rep points were not given by friends like mine, those are your words. Then given by who and for what?:biggrin:

given by stranger. exchange of points.

not by gang of party members,giving each other points.

meaning i am in no party.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nyJZSuHsXbM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nyJZSuHsXbM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
given by stranger. exchange of points.

not by gang of party members,giving each other points.

meaning i am in no party.

Okay lah I won't argue with a teenager. If I do I'll have to display a screenshot rep point page of all my nics!:p

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal

What happens in Switzerland now on this issue could set the trend
in other European states. The next one could be Denmark where
the right wing politician Greet is rising fast in political popularity.

boundThunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
switzerland

if you live in apartment, you are not allow to use your washing machine after 10 pm and not on sunday too. because it is too noisy for your neigbour.

if you live in apartment, you are not allow to flush the toilet after 10, because the flushing noise is too noisy for your neigbour.

if you live in apartment, you cannot pee while standing, because the noise created will disturb your neigbour.

swiss is the super nanny state of european, you will not find such law in other part of europe, or any where in the world.

swiss is very famous for their strange laws, a frog in the bottom of well like you will not know.

also their law made it that gov cannot decide certain issues, it must be put up for view by citizen to vote (PAP nightmare). they have a lot of voting there.

It is called civic-consiousness. This is the virtue that most singaporeans are lacking. You don't have to give hell to your neighbours just because you are unhappy. This was written into law to make it black and white, but they will occasionally be broken without repercussions because when you are sick and need to use the toilet throughout the night, your neighbours will be very understanding and sympathetic. That is the making of a great society to live in.

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are the Muslims making so much noise?

In Islam countries, they forbid the worship of religions other than Islam and in many of these countries, non-Muslims are routinely murdered because of their religion.

The Swiss must be commended for their guts and wisdom to stand up against radicals. If the Muslims are not happy, they can migrate to Saudi Arabia or Iran, don't islamise other countries.

Churuya

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you've been to switzerland before, which I have, the one of the defining traits of their national culture is... silence. If you have been to one of their public libraries, or sat in one of their first class sections in their public transports, you will know what I mean.

Our libraries in comparison, is like a wet market (in the old days).