• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Swakoo STOMPer: Gay World sounds unnatural

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My mother brought me along once to catch a rat dancing with these girls. My late father!

Ha ha ha ha...those where the fun & innocent days...!!wasn't it!!, life was simple, uncomplicated..men were naughty!!...:p

Did your mother catchhe 'rat'?, or when he sighted the 'rat catcher' he hid behind those girls..and slinked away? & what happened, when the "RAT" was caught?, his allowance suspended?, and every pay day, he has to empty his pay to the 'rat ctacher'?:biggrin: and be given enough to survive for a month...:wink:

btw... in case you guys out there don't know:

there was

1. Great World - Kim Seng Rd
2. New World - Jalan Besar
3. Gay world - Geylang Rd

any where elses?

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
halsey02
;191966]Ha ha ha ha...those where the fun & innocent days...!!wasn't it!!, life was simple, uncomplicated..men were naughty!!...:p

Did your mother catchhe 'rat'?, or when he sighted the 'rat catcher' he hid behind those girls..and slinked away? & what happened, when the "RAT" was caught?, his allowance suspended?, and every pay day, he has to empty his pay to the 'rat ctacher'?:biggrin: and be given enough to survive for a month...:wink:

btw... in case you guys out there don't know:

there was

1. Great World - Kim Seng Rd
2. New World - Jalan Besar
3. Gay world - Geylang Rd

LOL...No recollections of that but I saw my Dad dancing the joget with a Malay lady. You know in those days they actually wear flowers in their hair!
But anyway here's some of recollection of those easy days...

So many memories I have of the place...

Remember the basketball stadium right smack in the middle of Gay World? The first Western Wrestling matches brought to Singapore were held there. And the wrestlers actually got into fights with bouncers of brothels they visited. I witnessed a few and I tell you it was hilariously comical, they just walk away while the shorter built bouncers were raining punches on the wrestlers' bodies and they apparently did not feel a thing! They were so muscular and big sized.

So too in the same stadium I watched the world famous "Sphere of Death" show where up to three or four motorcycles riders rode their bikes within the sphere. I was too young to get excited over it , just suffering the discomfort from the screaming engines and roars of the audience.

And too were early overseas Chinese concerts. I met the legendary Teresa Teng one afternoon as an 11 year old kid when she went through a rehearsal. She walked out of the Stadium with her rotund mum who was in a cheongsum. I followed by Teresa's side as she walked out of Gay World to hail a cab. She had those tiny little pimples all over her face but she was a very pretty. 20 year old at the time. Uncomfortable with the way I was staring at her, she giggled at her mum and remarked, "Why is he staring at me like that?" while covering her face with one hand exaggeratedly. My last sight of her was her hailing a cab to a stop and getting into it with her mum. She looked so confident with herself.

Anybody remembered the Australian Funfair held in the Gay World carpark which was always mistakenly called Lorong 2 and stretched all the way back into Guillemard Road and the old Kallang Airport track field?

It had amusement features like the "Crazy House" seen in the movie "Grease" beside the usual food stalls and floating balloons. What I could never forget was the little Malay woman born without legs begging in the middle of the flow of people and receiving much donations of cash. It was rumoured that a Mercedes Benz will pick her up at the end of the evening.

Sin Wah Emporium, later to be part of Emporium Holdings was my favourite haunt. Air conditioned, spacious and not packed like warehouses for departmental stores of today. I bought my first aeroplane chess game as well as Airfix aeroplane models like the Hunter and MirageIIIc. I paid returning visits to with the largest model of them all, the Stirling bomber priced at $6.90, yes I remember the price, but could never accumulate enough pocket money to buy it.

And then there was the endless music from music stores, we called them record shops then,playing all the popular Chinese pop songs from Taiwan. And for the boys and men there was the games centre where we played coin operate table football, table basket ball and the first electronic arcade console games like Space Invaders! I remember adults shooting air rifles at rows of empty glass bottles.

My late beloved grandfather worked as a projector operator in the now long gone New Happy Theatre for more than thirty years. Either alone or with my cousin, we would always turn up at 3.45 in the afternoon either to get in for a free movie or to stand in front of the cinema and whistle our presence to our grand dad who could always be relied upon to be perched on his chair by the window of the projector room. He would wrap twenty or thirty cents in cigarette foil, the equivalent of $2 in today's currency, and threw them down to us.

I was brought into the projector room once to observe my grand dad at work. The projector was a huge and hot machine. It wasn't a bulb that produced the high intensity light needed to project images to the distant screen, it was carbon rods burning like welding rods. My grand dad allowed me to monitor the burn down and to compensate by pushing it tighter against the ignitor. It was exhilarating for a child!

A side privilege of having a grand dad working in a cinema is that we get first bite at tickets to watch the first run of the most popular movies of the day like Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon which were Saturday midnight shows, bypassing the ticket pirates who resell tickets to you at a premium.

Not surprisingly, secret society gangs fought for territorial rights in Gay World. Fights I've witnessed first hand but never the murders that happened occasionally.

Those were the days and the memories will stay with me until I leave for whatever that is waiting on the other side..

Last edited:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember got good food stalls at the entrance
from Mountbatten Road
and Datoh Rajah Bar entrance at Geylang Road
but it always caught fire.
Later it was converted into 24hrs hawker centre.
Business was good at the begining but later no more?
What happen? Land acquired by gahmen?
What i know is Gay World always caught fire.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
halsey02

LOL...No recollections of that but I saw my Dad dancing the joget with a Malay lady. You know in those days they actually wear flowers in their hair!
But anyway here's some of recollection of those easy days...

So many memories I have of the place...>

I won a ticket (very expensive one) from the radio, to watch the "Harlem Globetrobbers", when they were in Singapore, I think it was fron seat. Unfortunately I could not go..due to exams or something..regret, till this day.

If I am not mistaken, Gay world was the home of a TKD organization...anyway, the whatever amusement centres etc.. nowadays, is too sterile..and lack the ambience...really misses the ambience...:smile:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did he leave this world on that very night? :eek:

No lah!..usually 'cats' do not kill the 'rats' that they catch, they usually, 'toy' with the 'rats'...and slowly they die in their hands ( paws)...ha ha ha ha:biggrin:

But some 'rats' are very smart, they feign death and escape...and to joget, once again...

These days...no need to catch 'rats'....the 'cats' are into it also..times have really change...

It was hilarious & fun..those days..:biggrin:

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah!..usually 'cats' do not kill the 'rats' that they catch, they usually, 'toy' with the 'rats'...and slowly they die in their hands ( paws)...ha ha ha ha:biggrin:

But some 'rats' are very smart, they feign death and escape...and to joget, once again...

These days...no need to catch 'rats'....the 'cats' are into it also..times have really change...

It was hilarious & fun..those days..:biggrin:

The good old days! :biggrin: Where did we go wrong to mess it all up? :(

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good reminiscing, bro hakka tiow. Recall the occassional trade fairs at (perceived) more "atas" great world. Even my youthful but silly date with one njc pre-u gal on some ferris wheel (el cheapo precursor to sinkie flyer?). Unsuccesfully tried to get her on some ghost train (so can steal a close up):p. This was all before advent of uncle ringo's (sorry if I got it wrong) mobile amusement rides.

This was after catching a movie at globe cinema for princely sum $1. Back stalls, got water face not to pay for 50 cents front stalls mah. Few cinemas there with mainly 2nd runs after premium (premiere?) downtown halls. Just wait 1 week or 2.:wink:

Anybody remember wonderland at kallang (not far off from gay world)? Knew the guy manning the roller coaster, so repeat rides. And used to wonder (or envy) at the salesmen skiving at billiards room, all in haze of cigarrete smoke:biggrin:

And for that idiotic stomper, he doesn't know his left from right. Might as well ban tom jones song "green green grass of home" kns:cool::rolleyes:

Last edited:

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are right about times having changed. Now there are even cats and rats cosying up to each other. :p What has become of this world?

Things were more simple and straightforward in the yesteryears.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How were the repeat "rides" with the njc pre-u girl? :p
Alas, kena castaway:o... lowly me was just after O levels, and not so ""atas" (oops, excuse the pun).
Now there are even cats and rats cosying up to each other. What has become of this world?
Things were more simple and straightforward in the yesteryears
Take heart, one thing's constant though.. junior's GPS still straight forward:p:wink:

xtrocious

Alfrescian
Loyal
I vaguely remember Gay World - I was very young when my parents took me there for its amusement park...

I think my parents also held their wedding dinner at Gay World - Tai Thong Restaurant or something...

saf_ranger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stupid STOMPer and STOMP editor both do not know the history of their own country. Going by this STOMPer's logic, we should ban the number 69 and replace it with 68A.

"Is Gay World Hotel name legal?"

getMediumSizePhoto.do

A STOMPer spotted this hotel in Kallang and wonders if its name, 'Gay World Hotel', is a legally registered name.

He feels that the hotel’s name is odd and thus might not be legally permitted.

In an e-mail, the STOMPer says:

“I was just wondering how this name was allowed to register in Singapore as it is an unnatural name.

“I found this hotel near the Kallang MRT station.”

this stomper must be a FT.everyone know what is gay world

saf_ranger

Alfrescian
Loyal
I vaguely remember Gay World - I was very young when my parents took me there for its amusement park...

I think my parents also held their wedding dinner at Gay World - Tai Thong Restaurant or something...

ya me too... very fun place when i was a boy... only those born in singapore know gay world not like those whom are from other places ...esp india

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
You do have quite a point. "Gay" means "happy" actually and used in the old days, unlike now when it means "homosexual". Those of you in the 60s must have heard of the same word (ie "the company was gay") popping up in that Herman's Hermits song "No Milk Today".:smile: