• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Suu Kyi arrives in Japan after 27 years

Chrome

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suu Kyi arrives in Japan after 27 years

AAP April 13, 201310:59PM

913809-suu-kyi-arrives-in-japan-after-27-years.jpg

Myanmar's democracy hero Aung San Suu Kyi has arrived in Japan after 27 years. Source: AAP

AUNG San Suu Kyi has arrived in Japan, her first visit to the country where she spent time as a university researcher nearly three decades ago.

A group of well-wishers including Burmese gathered at Tokyo's Narita airport to greet Ms Suu Kyi, now her country's opposition leader, but were denied the chance to meet her as she left through a backdoor.

"I respect her like my mother," one of Burmese women said in an interview with public broadcaster NHK.

"I want to tell her that I support her strongly."

During her six-day trip, the Nobel laureate is expected to have meetings with some of the approximately 10,000 Burmese who live in Japan, as well as with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida.

It is Ms Suu Kyi's first visit to Japan since spending time as a researcher at Kyoto University in 1985-86.

But a leader of about 200 of Burma's Muslim minority Rohingya in Japan has expressed disappointment after being told his community was not wanted at events welcoming Ms Suu Kyi.

The Rohingya have been described by the UN as one of the world's most persecuted minorities.