• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sudhir Thomas Vadaketh : Sinkies dancing on the graves of shitskins

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why are some Singaporeans dancing on the graves of Indians?
Over the past few days, as I’ve been nervously watching WhatsApp for updates from friends and family in India, I’ve also had to listen to horrendous comments, some downright racist and xenophobic, from different people.
I’ll reproduce a few at the bottom because I think it’s important to call out these people.
But first, why are many Singaporeans irritated with Indians?
This has been building for many years and has to do primarily with our extremely high immigration rate coupled with a lack of proper integration and a shortage of public discourse and engagement around the kind of Singapore that we want.
Citizens of any democracy must have the right to collectively decide who they want to welcome. This often happens in some way at the ballot box.
Unfortunately, Singaporeans have never been given much of a say by a political leadership that, egged on by large corporate interests, has for decades suggested that growth-at-all-costs is the only way that this “small, vulnerable” country can survive.
Singaporeans must be given full access to immigration and population data (who, from where, how many, etc.); and more of a voice in decisions around population growth.
This is necessary to help ease tensions between groups. There is really a quite toxic environment in Singapore today, with prejudices and discrimination against almost every group, depending on your own position and lived experiences.
But why Indians in particular?
Of course there are many racist, illegitimate reasons why anti-Indian sentiment has risen. But there are also legitimate complaints that need to be explored (and dealt with, or debunked).
The main legitimate complaints have to do with immigration preferences, caste prejudices and employment discrimination.
With immigration—whether work permits, residencies or new citizens—there is a suggestion that over the past few decades, preference has been given to Indians, as opposed to being just purely meritocratic. And some blame a trade agreement, CECA, for it.
I am not sure how true this is, especially given Singapore’s historic Chinese majoritarianism policies. Nevertheless, with better data, we can test it. (Related: with immigration, Singapore should really consider enacting some transparent points system thingy, which many countries are doing.)
Meanwhile, there is anecdotal evidence that some new Indian migrants—some, not all, of course— have brought to Singapore casteist attitudes. To a society that is, for all intents and purposes, post caste. There are also North vs South; Hindi vs Tamil lines.
“What do you expect? These people [Singapore Indians] are descendants of convicts and prisoners,” a new migrant told the team of sociologist Laavanya Kathiravelu, as highlighted in her article, “ ‘What kind of Indian are you?’ Frictions and Fractures between Singaporean Indians and Foreign-Born NRIs”.
(To be sure, there is also discrimination from Singaporean Indians towards NRIs, as she highlights. Read it, link to book in comment below.)
And finally, anecdotal evidence that in the workplace Indian migrants have been giving preferences to fellow Indian migrants.
Casteism and employment discrimination can make for a potent mix—see what’s happening with Cisco in the US now. (Link in comment.)
Racist, illegitimate anti-Indian sentiment should be ignored or called out.
But legitimate complaints need to be explored and dealt with. The Singapore government has always failed to do so. That is why, at a structural level, I blame the government for the toxic anti-Indian xenophobia today.
So, to all my Singaporean friends: I understand there are legitimate complaints around the behaviour of some Indian migrants. But while we sort through them, please don’t take it out on individuals you meet. The vast majority are just honest, decent people trying to make a living.
And please don’t dance on the graves of Indians who are suffering. The country deserves our concern and help.
And now, last and most certainly least, let me leave you with three delightful comments from my readers. Not sharing for sympathy. I, for better or worse, have grown a very thick skin over the years.
More just so you know.
Email from Albert Tan:
“…Btw, if you look at what happen to India to day where your great grand father comes from. You should write to PM of India to apologize. You should agree with me that India is screw up country…”
YouTube comment from “tripple9”:
“FACT…Chinese are better than Indians…take a look at the situation now during Covid era.”
And the last one is on attached image, a conversation in response to my plea for Covid donations last week.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the Ah Nehs themselves dug their own graves....making themselves hated for being cheats, abusive & arrogant.

Annunaki

Alfrescian
Loyal
God bless sudhir and darling Kokila for calling out all the racist sinkie chinks!

C5FD505D-C0EC-4BE7-B220-D0B8B0AAE4C8.jpeg
C77F2172-27A6-4472-A43D-5612EAC577F9.jpeg
C203B921-538E-48A2-AED1-1F32CB0AC06E.gif

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They really love to depict themselves as victims eh? :rolleyes:

Yes, the pandemic has devastated India, but there will always be people who just don't give a fuck, just like the Sichuan earthquake, the Asian tsunami, Fukushima nuclear disaster, fight MH370, terrorist attacks, train derailments etc.

You Indians are not special... welcome to the club.

Stop barking up the wrong tree and go after the origin of the virus. :cool:

Ez8zT0IWQAU8xtX.jpg

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why are some Singaporeans dancing on the graves of Indians?
Over the past few days, as I’ve been nervously watching WhatsApp for updates from friends and family in India, I’ve also had to listen to horrendous comments, some downright racist and xenophobic, from different people.
I’ll reproduce a few at the bottom because I think it’s important to call out these people.
But first, why are many Singaporeans irritated with Indians?
This has been building for many years and has to do primarily with our extremely high immigration rate coupled with a lack of proper integration and a shortage of public discourse and engagement around the kind of Singapore that we want.
Citizens of any democracy must have the right to collectively decide who they want to welcome. This often happens in some way at the ballot box.
Unfortunately, Singaporeans have never been given much of a say by a political leadership that, egged on by large corporate interests, has for decades suggested that growth-at-all-costs is the only way that this “small, vulnerable” country can survive.
Singaporeans must be given full access to immigration and population data (who, from where, how many, etc.); and more of a voice in decisions around population growth.
This is necessary to help ease tensions between groups. There is really a quite toxic environment in Singapore today, with prejudices and discrimination against almost every group, depending on your own position and lived experiences.
But why Indians in particular?
Of course there are many racist, illegitimate reasons why anti-Indian sentiment has risen. But there are also legitimate complaints that need to be explored (and dealt with, or debunked).
The main legitimate complaints have to do with immigration preferences, caste prejudices and employment discrimination.
With immigration—whether work permits, residencies or new citizens—there is a suggestion that over the past few decades, preference has been given to Indians, as opposed to being just purely meritocratic. And some blame a trade agreement, CECA, for it.
I am not sure how true this is, especially given Singapore’s historic Chinese majoritarianism policies. Nevertheless, with better data, we can test it. (Related: with immigration, Singapore should really consider enacting some transparent points system thingy, which many countries are doing.)
Meanwhile, there is anecdotal evidence that some new Indian migrants—some, not all, of course— have brought to Singapore casteist attitudes. To a society that is, for all intents and purposes, post caste. There are also North vs South; Hindi vs Tamil lines.
“What do you expect? These people [Singapore Indians] are descendants of convicts and prisoners,” a new migrant told the team of sociologist Laavanya Kathiravelu, as highlighted in her article, “ ‘What kind of Indian are you?’ Frictions and Fractures between Singaporean Indians and Foreign-Born NRIs”.
(To be sure, there is also discrimination from Singaporean Indians towards NRIs, as she highlights. Read it, link to book in comment below.)
And finally, anecdotal evidence that in the workplace Indian migrants have been giving preferences to fellow Indian migrants.
Casteism and employment discrimination can make for a potent mix—see what’s happening with Cisco in the US now. (Link in comment.)
Racist, illegitimate anti-Indian sentiment should be ignored or called out.
But legitimate complaints need to be explored and dealt with. The Singapore government has always failed to do so. That is why, at a structural level, I blame the government for the toxic anti-Indian xenophobia today.
So, to all my Singaporean friends: I understand there are legitimate complaints around the behaviour of some Indian migrants. But while we sort through them, please don’t take it out on individuals you meet. The vast majority are just honest, decent people trying to make a living.
And please don’t dance on the graves of Indians who are suffering. The country deserves our concern and help.
And now, last and most certainly least, let me leave you with three delightful comments from my readers. Not sharing for sympathy. I, for better or worse, have grown a very thick skin over the years.
More just so you know.
Email from Albert Tan:
“…Btw, if you look at what happen to India to day where your great grand father comes from. You should write to PM of India to apologize. You should agree with me that India is screw up country…”
YouTube comment from “tripple9”:
“FACT…Chinese are better than Indians…take a look at the situation now during Covid era.”
And the last one is on attached image, a conversation in response to my plea for Covid donations last week.
I don't dance but I pee on it