• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Subsidy Claims Backfires Badly - NUS / Forbes Article

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
All Singaporeans growing up in this country will know that they have been constantly bombarded with claims of subsidy the moment they were born. We receive "subsidies" for medical, housing and education amongst many other things as though we don't pay taxes. Finally it has come back to bite us in big way.

ASIAONE / NEWS / EDUCATION / STORY
Mon, Feb 16, 2009
AsiaOne

Most expensive University in Asia?

The National University of Singapore (NUS) is known as one of the best universities in the world, but does an education here come with a hefty price-tag to match?

A 2007 ranking of the world’s top 200 universities by British paper, The Times of London, placed NUS at No.33. This was a tumble from the previous year, where it made No. 19 on the paper’s list of top 20 tertiary institutions in the world.

In this year's Feb 3 issue of Forbes, a list of “The World’s Most Expensive Colleges” ranked NUS as the ninth most expensive college in the world, with an annual tuition fee of $36,000.

A paragraph in the article read: “...a total price tag of more than US$31,000 ($46,751 including living expenses), makes an NUS education one of the most expensive in Asia.”

NUS was ranked alongside other renown overseas colleges such as the University of Melbourne (annual fee $30,463) and Imperial College London ($41,925 for non-British and European Union students) in terms of college fees.

U.S. still remains the priciest place to obtain a university education

The top five places in Forbes’ list belonged to private universities in the US, with each commanding a minimum tuition fee of at least $55,000 to $66,000 per year.

These include D.C.'s George Washington University, with a price of $60,600 for the 2008-2009 school year. Others in the top five are Sarah Lawrence College ($60,500), Kenyon College ($60,300), Vassar college ($60,300) and Bucknell University ($55,000).

Fees at elite Ivy League universities are on the high end as well: University fees for a year at Harvard come up to $54,000, while those at Yale are about $53,000.

This excludes cost of living, books and travelling expenses. Factoring in those amounts, as well as miscellaneous expenses, their fees are comparable to those of private colleges among the top five.

University fees on the increase

Despite the recession, students are not seeing a decrease in university fees.

On the contrary, tuition fees are on the rise. Annual fees for the top five colleges in the US have increased by 4.8% from 2007. Some colleges have even hiked up their fees by up to 7%.

"Not the most expensive"

When contacted by local Chinese paper Lianhe Wanbao, a spokesperson for NUS said they were "honoured" to be on Forbes’ list of best universities in the world, but wished to refute its claim about NUS being one of the most expensive colleges in Asia.

According to the NUS’ spokesperson, all local students are awarded a tuition grant and subsidy by the S'pore government. After the subsidy, most students pay between $6,000 to $8,000.

However, foreign students pay a higher fee, which is about 50 per cent more. The amount ranges between $9,000 to $20,000. Even then, he said, this is much lower than the fees of other top universities.

Foreign students keen to study at NUS are also eligible for financial aid. NUS has a comprehensive subsidy scheme designed to provide financial aid for overseas students. These include, study loans, bursaries and scholarships, he said.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
All Singaporeans growing up in this country will know that they have been constantly bombarded with claims of subsidy the moment they were born. We receive "subsidies" for medical, housing and education amongst many other things as though we don't pay taxes. Finally it has come back to bite us in big way.

ASIAONE / NEWS / EDUCATION / STORY
Mon, Feb 16, 2009
AsiaOne

Most expensive University in Asia?

In this year's Feb 3 issue of Forbes, a list of “The World’s Most Expensive Colleges” ranked NUS as the ninth most expensive college in the world, with an annual tuition fee of $36,000.

"Not the most expensive"

According to the NUS’ spokesperson, all local students are awarded a tuition grant and subsidy by the S'pore government. After the subsidy, most students pay between $6,000 to $8,000.

However, foreign students pay a higher fee, which is about 50 per cent more. The amount ranges between $9,000 to $20,000. Even then, he said, this is much lower than the fees of other top universities.

Forbes listed NUS tuition fee at $36,000.

Local students pay between $6K and $8K.
Foreign student pay between $9K and $20K.

So, who pay $36K per year in NUS? Another lawsuit in the making?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forbes listed NUS tuition fee at $36,000.

Local students pay between $6K and $8K.
Foreign student pay between $9K and $20K.

So, who pay $36K per year in NUS? Another lawsuit in the making?

I don't think you got the message. Forbes mentioned the official fees as listed by NUS which is correct. This fee which is the full costs as stated by the govt looks ridiculously high when one compares with world renown institutions.

In essence, their subsidy is unrealistic or not true value.

Lucky the first world does not have a HDB equivalent or else we will know the the real truth and I am sure no one will be surprised that the markup is too high.

I bet you the education subsidy covers the scholraship given to foreign students.

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think you got the message. Forbes mentioned the official fees as listed by NUS which is correct. This fee which is the full costs as stated by the govt looks ridiculously high when one compares with world renown institutions.

In essence, their subsidy is unrealistic or not true value.

Lucky the first world does not have a HDB equivalent or else we will know the the real truth and I am sure no one will be surprised that the markup is too high.

I bet you the education subsidy covers the scholraship given to foreign students.
My mum went to government 4 years ago,the bill was $40,000,I paid $4,000 after all PAP calculation.with subsidy,what have you.I didnt bother to count.

The technical item that I sell to global market has a list prcie of US$3,000,I normally sell at U$1,000,sometimes,like bad time now,down to US$800.00 nett.

Do I make profit,?yes reasobale enough to have a reasonable life.

PAP accuse me of subsidising my customers,I didnt bother as they are a bunch of idiots.

chobolann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe our university is expensive because we pay our professors well. If so, we should be proud of this. How do you expect your children to get a quality world class education if you don't pay our professors well? Otherwise, they might become corrupt, (teach badly) and your daughters may become maids in foreign countries. I have heard of NUS/NUH professors, medical side, being paid million dollar annual salaries.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My mum went to government 4 years ago,the bill was $40,000,I paid $4,000 after all PAP calculation.with subsidy,what have you.I didnt bother to count.

The technical item that I sell to global market has a list prcie of US$3,000,I normally sell at U$1,000,sometimes,like bad time now,down to US$800.00 nett.

Do I make profit,?yes reasobale enough to have a reasonable life.

PAP accuse me of subsidising my customers,I didnt bother as they are a bunch of idiots.

Thats a good one bro.

I know a family where the grandfather who gos to home town in Johor every 3months to get his medicine all for the value of $R15. Obviously he has been subsidised but no one makes the claim of subsidy. Its is understood.

In this country, a huge figure will appear on the bill, then the notion and words of subsidy will be peppered all over as though you need to drop to your knees in gratitude, having forgotten that either you or someone in the family had served NS, paid taxes and contributed to the economy.

In the meantime, beautiful lobbies and well paid surgeons are aplenty not realising that the actual bill is quite substantial.

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
BULL SHiT ! What Professor, PhD Quli ? ALL BULL SHiT !

Most are FT taking care of their own countrymen !

DO you know How much of S$ tax money going down the drain ?? from this so call higher learning Place ??

I would only consider NTU a much better place to have a decent higher education for Singaporean !

UNITED ! UNITED ! UNITED ! MY FELLOW SINGAPOREAN !!

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats a good one bro.

I know a family where the grandfather who gos to home town in Johor every 3months to get his medicine all for the value of $R15. Obviously he has been subsidised but no one makes the claim of subsidy. Its is understood.

In this country, a huge figure will appear on the bill, then the notion and words of subsidy will be peppered all over as though you need to drop to your knees in gratitude, having forgotten that either you or someone in the family had served NS, paid taxes and contributed to the economy.

In the meantime, beautiful lobbies and well paid surgeons are aplenty not realising that the actual bill is quite substantial.

How about the so-called subsidized dialysis treatment which is way more expensive than a non-subsidized one in JB.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe our university is expensive because we pay our professors well. If so, we should be proud of this. How do you expect your children to get a quality world class education if you don't pay our professors well? Otherwise, they might become corrupt, (teach badly) and your daughters may become maids in foreign countries. I have heard of NUS/NUH professors, medical side, being paid million dollar annual salaries.

I assure you that 99% of professors in NUS are not paid well at all.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I assure you that 99% of professors in NUS are not paid well at all.

Spot on. The love affair with academia and PAP fell over after the 1st Vice Chancellor sometime in the 60s refused to listen to old man not to admit a certain students. He quit.

Remember tan Wah Piow, Jukiet Chin, Solidarity square, Democracy wall etc.

AvalanCh3

Alfrescian
Loyal
so the article is talking like other uni don have subsidized? but strange leh, the article claim that netizen blast forbes but i don see anyone doin it in the forums, wonder where did our state media get the facts. perhaps from pap forum?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sg-pm.jpg

Now u understand why I've no choice but to give out free scholarships to my FT pets? *chey*

tookara

Alfrescian
Loyal
the bottom line is that if there were NO subsidies nobody would want to PAy to study in NUS unlike Cambridge, oxford, harvard etc

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fake subsidies I believe!!!

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,193194,00.html?

Forbes flops over NUS
It fails to take into account uni's heavy subsidies
By Liew Hanqing and Pearly Tan

February 18, 2009

NP_IMAGES_HQNUSR2.jpg

TNP ILLUSTRATION: SIMON ANG

THE National University of Singapore (NUS) has been named by Forbes.com as one of the world's most expensive universities.

It ranks alongside US institutions like George Washington University in Washington DC, Kenyon College in Ohio, Canada's Quest University, and Imperial College in the UK.

Forbes reported that full annual fees at NUS comes to about US$24,000 ($36,000) on average.

A spokesman for NUS said, however, that the university does not consider itself one of the most expensive universities in the world.

'The tuition fee actually payable by students for the majority of courses at NUS is much lower because they receive tuition grants from the Government,' the spokesman said.

The spokesman is right - the Forbes rankings do not take into account any financial aid, such as subsidies and grants, that students may receive.

According to the NUS spokesman, all Singaporean students pay subsidised fees of between $6,000 and $8,000 per annum for undergraduate courses other than medicine.

The fees for international students range from $9,000 to $12,000 per year. Only those who do not receive the Ministry of Education's tuition grant pay the full fees.

The spokesman said: 'These fees are much less than what is charged by other top universities overseas.

'Imperial College London, which is also cited by Forbes as one of top universities outside the US, charges annual tuition fees that are in the $33,000 to $43,000 range. Top US universities charge even more.'

The spokesman explained that international students who take up the tuition grant sign a deed with the Singapore Government requiring them to work in Singapore for three years upon graduation from NUS.

In addition, NUS also offers financial assistance to students in the form of tuition fee loans, bursaries and scholarships.

These are available to both Singaporean and international students.

Most Singaporean students pay heavily subsidised fees.

Netizens bash article

The Forbes article, which reports Singaporean students pay just 'a few thousand' less than full tuition, has caused an uproar in cyberspace.

Many netizens criticised the article for not presenting an accurate picture of the fees most students pay to attend NUS.

One netizen wrote on blog aggregator Tomorrow.sg: 'If you ever apply to a local university in Singapore, you will immediately find that something is wrong with the figures.

'Given that almost all citizens qualify for a tuition grant, you end up paying about a quarter of the full fees.'

Another netizen added: 'I couldn't care less if the 'actual cost' was a million dollars a month - the fact is, I'm paying $6,110 a year after the subsidy. And $6,110 is dirt cheap, compared to Australia, the UK and the US.'

However, several netizens commented that tuition fees for non-Singapore residents were expensive compared to other universities.

One netizen wrote: 'The article is correct. This is the actual cost without grants... It is one of the most expensive colleges...'

But NUS students The New Paper spoke to - both local and foreign - mostly echoed netizens' sentiments that the article had somewhat misrepresented student fees.

Miss Rachel Tan, 21, a European Studies and Political Science student at NUS, said: 'As a Singaporean, I get subsidised school fees. I think the main thing people are unhappy about may be that foreign students on scholarships get the same subsidies.'

Foreign students, such as Miss Amitha Pagolu, 20, an NUS literature student from India, also benefit from lower fees.

'The fees are not an issue - I'm not Singaporean, and I pay about $4,500 every semester. The Ministry of Education has already subsidised (my education) quite a lot.'

However, students like Jaryl Kok, 22, a Medicine undergraduate at NUS, said he was concerned that tuition fees would get expensive.

He said: 'It is an issue. We pay about three times more (than non-medicine undergraduates) over five years, which is about six to seven times more in total.

'We still pay about $18,000 per year and $90,000 over five years - even after subsidies.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How the fees compare

NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE

Subsidised fees for:

Singapore citizens: $6,360 - $18,230

Singapore PRs: $7,000 - $20,060

Non-Singapore citizens: $9,540 - $27,350
NANYANG TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY

Subsidised fees for:

Singapore citizens: $6,360

Singapore PRs: $7,000

Non-Singapore citizens: $9,540
SINGAPORE MANAGEMENT UNIVERSITY

Subsidised fees for:

S'pore citizens: $9,130

Singapore PRs: $10,040

Non-S'pore citizens: $13,700
(For non-bachelor of law degrees)

Singapore citizens: $10,050

Singapore PRs: $11,060

Non-S'pore citizens: $15,080

(For bachelor of law)

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't tax us we don't need a damn help from the government !

Since government is non-wellfare !

May as well have a business entity to run our governant not government with good competition !
Since present government is like concrete and money face.
We have a competitive governor for a period no longer than 2 years !

We make them run our state with the crack of our whip !

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its actually a market subsidy.
Hey, where did I hear that before
The market rate for going to a University in Singapore
is $36000 per annum. PAP has decided to subsidise $30K
a year so the citizens enjoy a subsidy of $30K. It is
effectively putting $30K into the hands of families who has
children studying in NUS, NTU, SMU, etc etc.

I remembered in the 80's, my fees were about $550 per semester, or $1100 per annum.
I was really happy with PAP then for having such affordable tertiary
education for us citizens. Then again, Ah Tiongs were unheard of on
the campus and the occasional PR was a malayan or indonesian who
blended in very well with the rest of us. Unlike the current situation
where the fresh grads joining me nowadays are telling me.

I'm sure the education then was just as good as it is now.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
so the article is talking like other uni don have subsidized? but strange leh, the article claim that netizen blast forbes but i don see anyone doin it in the forums, wonder where did our state media get the facts. perhaps from pap forum?

sgforums.com, stomp.com.sg. This 2 forums is pretty much pro PAP. You might want to take a look and see the 'bashing' in action. :biggrin: