• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Strange-coloured China broccoli safe ?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffee Shop Talk - Strange-coloured China broccoli safe ?</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">BadNews0 <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">Nov-13 6:29 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 10) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>13018.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Strange-coloured China broccoli safe to eat?

Cho Choon wonders this, as he was intrigued by this broccoli offered to him for sale at a Bukit Batok market.

He said, in an email on Nov 14:

"This morning while I was at the wet market at Bukit Batok East Ave 4, the vegetable -seller greeted me and asked me to buy the latest "broccoli" from China.

"I was surprised as the latest broccoli from China looked different from the usual broccoli (dark green in colour) that I had been buying. This new species appeared to be light green in colour and looked more like sea corals . I decided the buy the usual broccoli which is dark green in colour as I am wary of new products from China.

"I hope AVA can assure us that the new species of broccoli from China is safe to eat. "

STOMP has contacted the AVA for a response.

getArticlePhoto.do

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doesn't even look like brocolli.

B4 I clicked on this thread, I imagined some orange or purple cauliflower which I've seen and thought it novel. But this, this is the first time I've seen this. Anyone knows what this is?

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doesn't even look like brocolli.

Romanesco broccoli is an edible flower of the species Brassica oleracea and a variant form of cauliflower. Romanesco broccoli was first documented in Italy (as broccolo romanesco) in the sixteenth century. It is sometimes called broccoflower, but that name is also applied to green-curded cauliflower cultivars. It is also known as coral broccoli.

Part brocoli, part cauliflower.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think is broccoli flower. Always saw this in the wet market. It is edible is you know how to cook it. Those who find this thing strange to look obviously have never stepped into wet market before.

Brocolli can be eaten raw, doesn't have to be cooked. Of course one can always steam, boil, throw it onto pizzas and bake, etc.

Cheers!