• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Straits Times' irritating use of the word "Varsity" to mean "University"

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Americans don't use the word in that way. Even the Brits no longer use the word in that way. In the entire world, the only ones still using "Varsity" to mean "University" is the Straits Times. Outdated and irritating to read.

Another similarly irritating example from Straits Times, is the use of the word "treble" instead of "triple".

While both are technically acceptable to mean the same thing, "triple" is by far the more commonly used word these days, and Straits Times just sounds annoying in always using "treble" instead of "triple".

Additionally so when the word "treble" is most often used these days in the context of music, ie. "bass vs treble".

There are quite a number of other examples from the Straits Times, but the 2 examples above are irritating enough.

On a related note, though not about the Straits Times, is the dual use of the word "concerning".

Eg. Concerning this concerning matter = Regarding this worrying matter.

When the exact same word is used to mean 2 totally different things, it becomes irritating syntax. But can't blame the Straits Times for this one.

Last edited:

wontonmee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies in general even worse... Everyday I hear other people in conversation, they like to say "BASICALLY, ..." ... Everything also Basically here Basically there. Haha.

The other phrase I hear is "After that, then.." Haha. Sounds weird.

"After that, then he take off his pants and show me his Cock!" Haha.

Last edited:

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Concerning the word varsity, use of it makes us seems exclusive and of high SES. Furthermore, Singaporeans have higher IQ than the Angs. We know Occam's razor; that which has the least number of letters is preferred.

Kee Chew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Concerning the word varsity, use of it makes us seems exclusive and of high SES. Furthermore, Singaporeans have higher IQ than the Angs. We know Occam's razor; that which has the least number of letters is preferred.

i like the words - "Kee Chiu "

hope Dictionary will embrace these 2 beautiful words which mean " hand up " :biggrin:

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
i like the words - "Kee Chiu "

hope Dictionary will embrace these 2 beautiful words which mean " hand up " :biggrin:
Beware! Even when the day comes when "kee chew" is officially listed in the Oxford Dictionary, never ever use it. The moment you say "kee chew", the whole world knows you come from a country where the words "democracy", "equality", "freedom of speech" are all false truth-in-a-hood.

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
My niece is obsessed with tuition for her prim 5 daughter and buys loads of nonsensical practice/revision books, etc.

One English revision book by local authors and publisher has title/description "high frequency words". Anyone know what is the value in Hertz?

jw5

Loyal
It is mainly the impressionable Sinkie Chinese Helicopters who like to use "big words". They think that it compensates for the years that they spent speaking and thinking in Mandarin. :biggrin:

My niece is obsessed with tuition for her prim 5 daughter and buys loads of nonsensical practice/revision books, etc.

One English revision book by local authors and publisher has title/description "high frequency words". Anyone know what is the value in Hertz?

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Americans don't use the word in that way. Even the Brits no longer use the word in that way. In the entire world, the only ones still using "Varsity" to mean "University" is the Straits Times. Outdated and irritating to read.

Another similarly irritating example from Straits Times, is the use of the word "treble" instead of "triple".

While both are technically acceptable to mean the same thing, "triple" is by far the more commonly used word these days, and Straits Times just sounds annoying in always using "treble" instead of "triple".

Additionally so when the word "treble" is most often used these days in the context of music, ie. "bass vs treble".

There are quite a number of other examples from the Straits Times, but the 2 examples above are irritating enough.

On a related note, though not about the Straits Times, is the dual use of the word "concerning".

Eg. Concerning this concerning matter = Regarding this worrying matter.

When the exact same word is used to mean 2 totally different things, it becomes irritating syntax. But can't blame the Straits Times for this one.
What you said is concerning...Has our ST's standard of English dropped over time ?