• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Starhub's PayTV business no longer viable

Filloz

Alfrescian
Loyal
In what appeared to be an attrition-warfare among local TV companies, more Singaporeans are expected to take their eyes off local channels.

While Mediacorp had been a dominant local content creator, Mediacorp had been operating on massive losses like SPH in media business, only to be on life support with tonnes of COVID-related ads from local agencies.

At the expense of Mediacorp, the Free-to-Air channels (FTA) had benefited Starhub who included them in their last gen Fibre-TV set top boxes. Frustrated with this situation, the new management is now banking on generation income stream through pay-advertising on their streaming services, MEwatch.

Starhub PayTV Subscribers are now reporting that the new generation TV+ boxes are not user-friendly and Seniors are better off with a simple IMDA-issued Digital TV box + antenna. Starhub is also aiming to do away with the higher-cost Fibre-TV set top boxes (eventually) and convert itself into a streaming contents provider with their laggy TV+ boxes.

Behind the scene, Mediacorp may have imposed some streaming restrictions by disabling FTA channels on Starhub's TV+ boxes unless home user opted for Starhub's proprietary Nokia or Linksys routers which are likely to be programmed to pay tributes to Mediacorp. In short, recontracting Starhub users have to discard their powerful routers such as ASUS, alternative Mesh systems from other brands, just to enjoy Mediacorp's FTA channels on Starhub's streaming TV boxes. Otherwise, they will have turn to digital TV or MeWatch Apps which are senior-unfriendly.

With streaming competitors like Netflix, Vuu, or Disney+, young locals are moving away from local contents or seniors giving up on Starhub. With these self-inflicted wounds, StarhubTV business is now facing the biggest decline in PayTV subscription since founding.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pay tv is getting irrelevant. Content owners are doing it on their own started by Netflix. With WIFI so powerderful these days, who still need to be held ransom by stupid set top boxes?

Without premier league - starhub is less attractive despite having la liga and italian league. Same goes for Singtel, netflix can bid for that and Singtel TV is kaput.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While Mediacorp had been a dominant local content creator, Mediacorp had been operating on massive losses like SPH in media business, only to be on life support with tonnes of COVID-related ads from local agencies.

Govt propaganda lah.

At the expense of Mediacorp, the Free-to-Air channels (FTA) had benefited Starhub who included them in their last gen Fibre-TV set top boxes. Frustrated with this situation, the new management is now banking on generation income stream through pay-advertising on their streaming services, MEwatch.

Netflix wannabe. Featuring local trash.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pay tv is getting irrelevant. Content owners are doing it on their own started by Netflix. With WIFI so powerderful these days, who still need to be held ransom by stupid set top boxes?

Without premier league - starhub is less attractive despite having la liga and italian league. Same goes for Singtel, netflix can bid for that and Singtel TV is kaput.

Pay tv is not irrelevant. Sinkie PAP-controlled and MDA-restricted pay tv is irrelevant.

Totalitarian shitholes have no innovation or creativity.

By the way, only fools still pay money to the red telco for watching football games. Their pundits aren't even good.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i terminated my Starhub tv last year after being a customer for 20 years. SH is reducing content yet increasing charges. it's no surprise that there are much fewer new subscribers and existing ones decided to terminate their subscription after end of contract.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the 2 idiots Singtel and Starhub tried to outbid each other for the EPL broadcast tv rights. in the end Singtel paid the world highest for those rights, totally ludicrous for SG small population. the subscribers have to pay more to watch EPL.

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
i terminated my Starhub tv last year after being a customer for 20 years. SH is reducing content yet increasing charges. it's no surprise that there are much fewer new subscribers and existing ones decided to terminate their subscription after end of contract.
I only use starhub 1Gbps Internet.
Don't need to subscribe Netflix, Disney plus or apple tv
U can get free movies online.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mediacorp has witnessed a resurgence in popularity thanks to MeWatch and some hit shows like 'My Star Bride'. My family enjoys watching local productions on MeWatch, including their dramas and celebrity interviews by Quan Yi Fong.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These fucking telcos are still living in the dinosaur age. I still remember paying $50 a month for a bundle of channels where out of the 6 channels only 2 is what I want. Once those tiong made Android TV boxes became popular, I quickly jumped ship. Now it's so much easier with Google Chromecast.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the 2 idiots Singtel and Starhub tried to outbid each other for the EPL broadcast tv rights. in the end Singtel paid the world highest for those rights, totally ludicrous for SG small population. the subscribers have to pay more to watch EPL.

The biggest idiots are those who actually paid to watch the games.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These fucking telcos are still living in the dinosaur age. I still remember paying $50 a month for a bundle of channels where out of the 6 channels only 2 is what I want. Once those tiong made Android TV boxes became popular, I quickly jumped ship. Now it's so much easier with Google Chromecast.

This is typical of a totalitarian shithole run by a few family bloodlines.

bXEuJHc.jpg

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

I watch EPL and CL games from online streamers.

Why need set top box?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What they need is cricket matches and profits will soar to the stars. :cool:
true. disney+ tv signs up 69m for disney content and over 40m in shitdia for cricket games that are streamed online. over 36.9% subscriptions in shitdia for an american online media outlet is unheard of, until now.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I watch EPL and CL games from online streamers.

Why need set top box?
i returned all my cable modem boxes to my broadband provider over 6.9 years and never look back. all i have from my provider is fiber-cable hybrid connection to my home and a dual band wifi router. every tv is connected online via hdmi roku dongles. no more 369-channel cable tv, no more dvd player, no more tape player, no more set top boxes. my entertainment counter is so minimal, zen, and clean now. and no more multiple remotes as i use my iphone as a universal remote with the relevant apps. the roku remote app on ios is absolutely fantastic.
69E5AA2B-430F-46E5-A444-70F467C35039.jpeg

Filloz

Alfrescian
Loyal
i returned all my cable modem boxes to my broadband provider over 6.9 years and never look back. all i have from my provider is fiber-cable hybrid connection to my home and a dual band wifi router. every tv is connected online via hdmi roku dongles. no more 369-channel cable tv, no more dvd player, no more tape player, no more set top boxes. my entertainment counter is so minimal, zen, and clean now. and no more multiple remotes as i use my iphone as a universal remote with the relevant apps. the roku remote app on ios is absolutely fantastic.
View attachment 126625

Can get ROKU cheaply from Amazon.sg but need to have US IP with ISP (eg. Viewquest or MyRepublic). MyRepublic just got bought over by Starhub, so the service will not be offered anymore.