• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stallholders in row with Workers Party town council

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very good statement again by Mr Pritam Singh, again showing that while the AHPETC is out to resolve issues, the NEA and the Ministry is only out to slander the TC with falsified information.

Vivian Balakrishnan pretty much just made a fool out of himself with his own statement demanding the AHPETC to cooperate with the NEA. Obviously he hasn't been keeping up with the news that the issues have all been resolved back in 6th June.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nicely done. They have cornered VB.

If VB does not attend, he will appear to be weak and afraid.

If VB attends, he cannot afford to be disruptive.

His only option is to attend and be a happy camper, giving WP the victory.

No way he will have round table talk with WP. His ilk do not deem WP fit to sit with them on equal footing.

More likely he will deflect and continue to talk tough about how WP has sacred responsibility to hygiene, welfare, etc, while insinuating WP has not fulfilled requirements.

So thus far:

(A) WP has gotten clearer with each press release and consistently sought a reconciliation approach

(B) NEA on the other hand has obfuscated the issues including mixing up blk 511 n 538 and conveying the impression they are same incident. VB has completely politized the matter.

(C) to date no one has supplied proof that WP attempted to charge extra or failed to fulfil its statutory obligations.

(D) WP may have miscommunicated or misunderstood certain matters but they have resolved at the outset to resolve it amicably. It is NEA that is obstructing this amicable approach.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally, I don't think the AHPETC is completely faultless in this issue. In all likelihood, it's probably a miscommunication between the various minions of the various entities, and they are all jointly responsible to some extend. Exactly how much we will probably never know because there are no records of what happened... except for that email. It is completely ludicrous that the NEA allowed themselves to be used by the government to attack the AHPETC and trying to pin 100% of the blame on them when the only retrievable record (that email) shows that the screw up was on the NEA side.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do not fall into the pappy's trap -MP's are not condo/housing estate or hawker centre managers.
They are elected to represent their constituents in PARLIAMENT.

What we have is a situation where the Bureaucracy(NEA) is setting the policies and telling the legislature ( Members of Parliament) what to do-thereby turning parliamentary democracy on its head.
Civil servants (the NEA here) are supposed to serve the people (as represented by their MP's).

Are the hawkers in question even residents of Bedok?-if not , they should not have a say in the running of Bedok- just as the Pappy's do not allow foreigners to participate in politics here. Whoever wants to do business in Bedok must comply with the wishes of the people there(as represented by their MP from WP)-not the other way around.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Very good statement again by Mr Pritam Singh, again showing that while the AHPETC is out to resolve issues, the NEA and the Ministry is only out to slander the TC with falsified information.

did VB just book a ticket to Aljunied GRC team in GE16? bloody hell! the Aljunied team is bursting at its seams! try East Coast GRC instead! :p:p:p

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally, I don't think the AHPETC is completely faultless in this issue. In all likelihood, it's probably a miscommunication between the various minions of the various entities, and they are all jointly responsible to some extend. Exactly how much we will probably never know because there are no records of what happened... except for that email. It is completely ludicrous that the NEA allowed themselves to be used by the government to attack the AHPETC and trying to pin 100% of the blame on them when the only retrievable record (that email) shows that the screw up was on the NEA side.

The PAP's new strategy is to paint the WP as incompetents in the running of township ...thus their claims that WP TC was overpaying for the management contract and then this petty item on cleaning of hawker centre. What's next? PAP cronies bringing in thousand of rats at night to release in the WP wards?

You can expect the PAP to stoop to that low to cling on to power. The PAP is under siege ...it can't change the import of foreigners policy as it would hurt the property market but knows that the big stone hanging over its neck is the foreign invasion. What else can it do since it can't reverse policy?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agreed. But always remember that the PAPzis paid several millions for a town council management software that they (by KBW's own mouth) could have got off the shelf at one month's notice. This was reported in both the Braddell Broadshit and Caldec**k C**ts.

So who overpaid?

The PAP's new strategy is to paint the WP as incompetents in the running of township ...thus their claims that WP TC was overpaying for the management contract and then this petty item on cleaning of hawker centre. What's next? PAP cronies bringing in thousand of rats at night to release in the WP wards?

You can expect the PAP to stoop to that low to cling on to power. The PAP is under siege ...it can't change the import of foreigners policy as it would hurt the property market but knows that the big stone hanging over its neck is the foreign invasion. What else can it do since it can't reverse policy?

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
VB now wants to lim kopi with Low Thia Khiang :eek:

Dr Balakrishnan calls on WP to clean hawker centre and apologise to hawkers

hawker%20center1106e.jpg

A hawker centre at Block 538 in Bedok North. Minister for the Environment and Water Resources Vivian Balakrishnan has said that the Workers' Party (WP) should clean up the hawker centres under their charge and apologise to the hawkers involved in a long-running dispute over the cleaning of hawker centres in Aljunied GRC. -- ST FILE PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

By Andrea Ong

Minister for the Environment and Water Resources Vivian Balakrishnan has said that the Workers' Party (WP) should clean up the hawker centres under their charge and apologise to the hawkers involved in a long-running dispute over the cleaning of hawker centres in Aljunied GRC.

Only once the cleaned hawker centres have been inspected would he sit down for a meeting with WP chief Low Thia Khiang, said Dr Balakrishnan on Tuesday.

"At that point, I will be happy to invite Mr Low Thia Khiang for a cup of coffee with me," he said to reporters, adding that the meeting would also have to involve the hawkers.

Dr Balakrishnan was responding to the statement by the WP-run Aljunied-Hougang-Punggol East Town Council (AHPETC) on Monday, where town council vice-chairman Pritam Singh invited the minister to a dialogue with the WP MPs "to settle any outstanding matters".

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agreed. But always remember that the PAPzis paid several millions for a town council management software that they (by KBW's own mouth) could have got off the shelf at one month's notice. This was reported in both the Braddell Broadshit and Caldec**k C**ts.

So who overpaid?

As you noticed, the PAP has managed to change the channel with this NEA-led attack on WP TC.

I hope the WP are adding this episode into their electioneering leaflet ...the list of PAP-dirty tricks.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vivian wants WP to apologise to the hawkers.

Up till now, NEA is unable to show any proof that WP had asked the hawkers for additional $$$ to erect scaffolding. All they have is a quotation and that quotation was requested by a PAP PMB grassroot leader.

So what is there to apologise?

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
nkk.jpg

The revelation that the person who started this, Ng Kok Khim, is a long standing PAP member is strong empirical evidence in support of the claims that the two hawker petitions published by NEA are "kei" (fake).

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/docs/default...awkers-petition-letters-to-press.pdf?sfvrsn=0

G02YiVP.png

There is a thread in Hardware zone discussing this. You can check it out here:

http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/e...-press-got-no-name-signatory-one-4246985.html

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vivian wants WP to apologise to the hawkers.

Up till now, NEA is unable to show any proof that WP had asked the hawkers for additional $$$ to erect scaffolding. All they have is a quotation and that quotation was requested by a PAP PMB grassroot leader.

So what is there to apologise?

It's just a trick to avoid meeting WP. Come up with something non-existent to comply to.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More likely he will deflect and continue to talk tough about how WP has sacred responsibility to hygiene, welfare, etc, while insinuating WP has not fulfilled requirements.

You really chun, predicted exactly what VB will do. This is better that the predictions made by some other political gurus.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You know, looking at how dirty the hawker center will become once it opens due to the local and foreign pigs going there, the level of cleanliness is a joke issue to hawkers. Only 68 million dollar ministers and related dogs make such noise. You mean you never shit in toilet after you clean arh? When GMS go to hawker center, it is an environmental disaster each time so are you going to clean every time you have environmental disaster? Hawker center will eventually be clean and as all hawker bankrupt. Your ceiling pipers also clean as no more cooking. How?

Simple, did the hawkers ask for the quotation for their own extra cleaning or did an NKK kelong?

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
They all looked half clean or dirty.. makes me wonder none of those hawkers are ka kee nan..

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the exposure of who Ng Kok Khim is:

nkk.jpg

and increasing awareness that the hawker petitions were probably faked:

G02YiVP.png

our msm is now in full retreat. The following is their latest "let's move on" piece:

These are debates the public can do without

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20130612-429208.html

How can I be sure that when I hand a $50-note over to a shopkeeper, that shopkeeper will, five seconds later, acknowledge the fact and hand back the correct amount of change?

Is it not possible that, with no third party looking on, the shopkeeper might claim that you had only paid $10 or $5?

Of course, it is.

Just as the inverse is possible - that the shopkeeper receives a $5 note from me, just to hear me claim, a moment after he has tucked it away, that it was actually $50.

But in most societies, a basic level of trust has developed between members of the society. Trust is that vital lubricant without which no exchange or activity is feasible. We know that instinctively, and we try our best therefore not to erode that trust.

And so we might argue over principles or how best to do something or which values are more important, but we, as a general rule, don't argue over basic facts such as the denomination of the note I have just handed you.

That is why I find deeply troubling what appears to be a trend in Singapore's political arena: our leaders and politicians - those we should be looking up to - are arguing not over the real questions of politics (i.e. what kind of country we want to build) but over the most basic of facts.

I use the word "trend" loosely here, since I can really only cite two incidents. I would be the first to applaud if these turn out to be isolated cases.

But the quick succession of and the stark similarities between the two spats surely give cause for concern, and I make no apology therefore for erring on the side of alarmism here by saying: Let's arrest this trend before it gets out of hand.

I am referring of course to two recent clashes between the Workers' Party and the People's Action Party-led government.

In the first instance, WP and the Government disagreed over the rates charged by the managing agent for the WP-led town council in Aljunied.

In another dispute that began last month and is still ongoing as I write, WP and the National Environment Agency waged a war of words over whether or not the other side had said that hawkers would pay for scaffolding needed to clean the high areas of a few hawker centres in Bedok.

I do not want to get into the relative merits of each side's case in either of those incidents.

Indeed, my point is that I can't. I am simply unable to. When two sides choose to argue over basic facts, I have no basis on which to comment because I wasn't there or because I am not privy to the information I need to make a reasonable assessment.

I suspect many members of the public who have tried - in vain, surely - to follow some of these arguments would have felt the same frustration.

Just as somebody who wasn't there cannot possibly say anything authoritative about whether or not you had handed over a $50-note to the shopkeeper, there are parts of these PAP-WP debates - particularly the parts that involve judging whether or not X had said Y to Z - that are inscrutable to the public.

There are two possibilities on what has led to the disputes. One, it was a pure misunderstanding between two sides which engaged each other in good faith. Two, it was not a pure misunderstanding, but that one side or both were being mischievous.

Whichever is the case, let's stop it now.

These are debates that the public can do without. These are news events that even the news hound in me is quite happy to see less of.

In the long run, more of such debates will simply wear the people down and breed deep mistrust of their politicians - to the detriment of all political parties.

It will also make it harder for cooperation between political leaders to take place and for public goods to be delivered - to the detriment of the people.

And so, it is in the interest of all sides to take these fact-centred quarrels behind closed doors, and to allow public space and newspaper columns to be dominated by issues of more import, such as: How do we narrow the income gap even as we sustain our economic competitiveness? Or, how can we maintain social harmony even as we allow free expression?

For the sake of this country and of decency, let's raise our public debates above the level of banalities and trivialities.

Let's stop it now.

[email protected]

Last edited:

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, my point is that I can't. I am simply unable to. When two sides choose to argue over basic facts, I have no basis on which to comment because I wasn't there or because I am not privy to the information I need to make a reasonable assessment.

Let's stop it now.

[email protected]

How true is his words. A lot of comments were made here but none of these people were privy to the information.