• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ST Report: Inflation rate is reflection of gahmen's own policies

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The new normal?

THEREIN lies the dilemma for MAS.

Much of today's and tomorrow's inflation can be attributed to the Government's own policies, such as the low numbers of COEs and a tight foreign worker policy.

The most obvious solution is for the Government to relax the foreign worker policy. But that would be politically unpalatable, given the great unhappiness Singaporeans have against over-crowding as well as the Government's overriding objective to reduce reliance on foreign workers.

In fact, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam has consistently maintained that there will be no U-turn on this particular policy.

Monetary policy, in this case, plays only a limited role in directly affecting inflation. It can compensate for domestic inflation by reducing imported inflation further - but since imported inflation is already muted, this would be at best an indirect solution.

Another way it can lower inflation is through dampening economic activity, so that the economy does not overheat.

DBS economist Irvin Seah thinks that MAS is sacrificing growth to combat inflation.

"What's worrying is that Singapore is fast losing its competitiveness in the export sector, with costs rising rapidly. A stronger Sing dollar hardly helps," he said.

if left unchecked, could spiral into runaway inflation.

CIMB economist Song Seng Wun believes that the recent monetary policy statement is meant more as a signal than to be used as a direct tool. "They are telling bosses and people, hey we are concerned about inflation and you should be too. In so doing they hope to anchor inflation expectations," he said.

Indeed, it was instructive that MAS itself said in its statement that its policy stance "is assessed to be appropriate in containing inflationary pressures and keeping the economy on a path of restructuring towards sustainable growth" (emphasis added).

In layman terms, what this all means is that people should be prepared for higher inflation for the next few years as the economy restructures. There will be pain as prices rise to reflect higher wages of people in the services industry and other sectors where companies are unable to find foreign workers to fill positions.

- http://www.singapolitics.sg/views/new-norm-tepid-growth-and-inflation

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
It means, they will not control hot money. They will let foreign funds wreck havoc to domestic prices through investments in speculative assets. While inflation balloons, private businesses will increase prices in tandem. If wages increase in tandem, domestic prices will spiral out of control. So what to do? Suppress your wages! Import more FTs! And prices will increase anyway. Indeed, the government is caught between a rock and a hard place by choosing to use the labour supply valve to manage inflation, thereby screwing workers' well-being.

What to do? Matland did it once. Too heavy-handed? There is always the Hongkie approach. Unfortunately Tartman is a free market fundamentalist. The sooner we clear the cabinet of these misguided fools, the better off we will all be.

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
Inflation is the direct result of inflated HDB flat prices, inflated COE prices, inflated gahmen expenditures, affecting commercial building & transportation costs and finally translated into higher business rentals and expenses, inclusive of privatised hawker stalls.

The whole pricing system in Singapore is out of control and waiting for the bubble to burst. A lot of people are going to be hurt.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In layman terms, what this all means is that people should be prepared for higher inflation for the next few years as the economy restructures. There will be pain as prices rise to reflect higher wages of people in the services industry and other sectors where companies are unable to find foreign workers to fill positions.

This is exactly what U guys demanded during the last GE so don't complain too much

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So is this report saying that the higher inflation to be expected was caused by those previously gabernment policies prior to these new policies?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Much of today's and tomorrow's inflation can be attributed to the Government's own policies, such as the low numbers of COEs and a tight foreign worker policy.

The most obvious solution is for the Government to relax the foreign worker policy. But that would be politically unpalatable, given the great unhappiness Singaporeans have against over-crowding as well as the Government's overriding objective to reduce reliance on foreign workers.
Lies! LIES!!!

CPI rises because of foreign labour supply constraint?

Cheebye SPH dog! You know how the CPI is derived or not?

Curse your kid born no asshole!

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is exactly what U guys demanded during the last GE so don't complain too much

Hello Bro Char, nobody asked for higher inflation during the last GE. Please get that correct.

Higher inflation is not simply a result of curbing wanton import of foreign workers. Wage push inflation is just but one of the many form of inflation. Do we have wage push inflation? No!! But we do have inflation.

It is more to do with 超级白 policy that resulted in inflation. Eg - the ever increasing HDB prices. The increase in transport fare and COE prices (wait a minute, don't try to give me that crap that COE prices is a result of buyers bidding for it), increase in town council fee etc All these drive up prices. More than just wage push as foreigners continue to flood our little island and wages remain suppressed.

Just wish one thing, Bro Char, I hope you will not be a victim of being replaced by a foreigner one day. Perhaps when that day arrives, then you may want to reflect on your statement you made today. Think of the many replaced Singaporeans who have to put food on the table for their family. Have a heart please, my friend.

If you still don't understand the above para, please refer to posting #7.

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lies! LIES!!!

CPI rises because of foreign labour supply constraint?

Cheebye SPH dog! You know how the CPI is derived or not?

Curse your kid born no asshole!

Bro mojito, what is upsetting you so much? Relax my friend. This is not the 1st time the prostitutes at Braddel Road churn out rubbish. They are simply the mouthpiece of the 超级白. :mad:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So is this report saying that the higher inflation to be expected was caused by those previously gabernment policies prior to these new policies?

Bro IHP, my idol, you are very smart! :smile:

Thought you are only loud, bold, colourful and full of vulgarities. Now I know you are also smart. :biggrin:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Inflation is the direct result of inflated HDB flat prices, inflated COE prices, inflated gahmen expenditures, affecting commercial building & transportation costs and finally translated into higher business rentals and expenses, inclusive of privatised hawker stalls.

The whole pricing system in Singapore is out of control and waiting for the bubble to burst. A lot of people are going to be hurt.

Spot on Bro prancku! :smile:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It means, they will not control hot money. They will let foreign funds wreck havoc to domestic prices through investments in speculative assets.

Bro mojito, ever since when 超级白 control hot money? 超级白 has always been blinded by greed. All they see is $$$. :mad:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just wish one thing, Bro Char, I hope you will not be a victim of being replaced by a foreigner one day. Perhaps when that day arrives, then you may want to reflect on your statement you made today. Think of the many replaced Singaporeans who have to put food on the table for their family. Have a heart please, my friend.

At this point I'm more likely to lose my job to foreigners in their own countries than FTs here. Many of my peers have loss jobs to Foreigners because their companies/department are moving to hotspots like China and India. If getting a few FTs here is going to stop this trend, I'm all for it. I have a heart, I also need to do reality checks

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What to do? Matland did it once. Too heavy-handed? There is always the Hongkie approach. Unfortunately Tartman is a free market fundamentalist. The sooner we clear the cabinet of these misguided fools, the better off we will all be.

Tartman is more than just a 'free market fundamentalists'. He's also a believer in 'trickle down' economics, and a stooge for IMF and the global banksters.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In fact that is key. I would venture to say, it is mostly self-inflicted.

Last edited:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At this point I'm more likely to lose my job to foreigners in their own countries than FTs here. Many of my peers have loss jobs to Foreigners because their companies/department are moving to hotspots like China and India. If getting a few FTs here is going to stop this trend, I'm all for it. I have a heart, I also need to do reality checks

Thanks Bro Char :smile:

All the very best to you. Cheers. :smile:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fook Gor, hurt so good huh??? ha ha :biggrin: :biggrin:

You waiting patiently at the sideline for durians to drop? :confused::rolleyes::p

There are no durians. If there are durians, I would pick them up and eat them. Nothing personal happened to me with govt policies (maybe I bypassed these bad policies early), so no personal hurt. Just supporting a forummer who was speaking the truth.

Last edited: