• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious SSD OR HDD?

WILL YOU USE SSD OR HDD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why would an ordinary mortal need such a robust backup? I have been using 256GB thumbdrive and its more than enough to rotate across 2 or 3 of them.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the amount of data today and 2T drives becoming the norm you're going to need a lot of DVDs and they aren't 100% reliable either.

you have an answer for everything, i have nothing more to say. see nowadays, ssds price drop so much almost on par with hdd, i know their days are almost over. invest in optane is a wiser move, just imagine your system running on 1TB of memory.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
you have an answer for everything, i have nothing more to say. see nowadays, ssds price drop so much almost on par with hdd, i know their days are almost over. invest in optane is a wiser move, just imagine your system running on 1TB of memory.

Price finally dropped to a more reasonable level so I decided to get 2 pcs of 1T Samsung T5 drives got them for 5,990 baht or $263 each, I think it used to be like $500-600 for this capacity.

Using 1 for backup and the other to store data. Will continue to use the older HDD for another backup.

Notice the photo below, its smaller than credit card (drive sitting on a credit card)

IMG_20190714_081651.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Price finally dropped to a more reasonable level so I decided to get 2 pcs of 1T Samsung T5 drives got them for 5,990 baht or $263 each, I think it used to be like $500-600 for this capacity.

Using 1 for backup and the other to store data. Will continue to use the older HDD for another backup.

Notice the photo below, its smaller than credit card (drive sitting on a credit card)

View attachment 61153

I've been using those for the last year.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I've been using those for the last year.

Playing with it over yesterday really like it. The backup disk to back up my Macbook Pro using Apple's Time Machine. Really like its portability and fast transfer rate.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal

View attachment 61153

I want to share a fucked up experience. I tried to be smart and bought a wireless HD backup device which was supposed to connect to my Apple or Andriod devices. The technology was shit and the connection always got interrupted so the file transfer was a frustrating experience.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I want to share a fucked up experience. I tried to be smart and bought a wireless HD backup device which was supposed to connect to my Apple or Andriod devices. The technology was shit and the connection always got interrupted so the file transfer was a frustrating experience.

Thank you for sharing I saw this device too but was afraid to get it as I prefer using a cable for now.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Interesting video explaining different types of SSD, what is in a SSD, how SSDs are gauged for life expectancy, how to maximize and care for your drive to make it last longer etc

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Playing with it over yesterday really like it. The backup disk to back up my Macbook Pro using Apple's Time Machine. Really like its portability and fast transfer rate.
do you mean time capsule? mine is 4tb, 2.9 tb short of 6.9tb. wireless backup no problem for the last 6.9 years.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nothing beats an apple time capsule backup. it's wireless and i leave it on for the last 6.9 years with no issue.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
do you mean time capsule? mine is 4tb, 2.9 tb short of 6.9tb. wireless backup no problem for the last 6.9 years.

No i did not have the Time Capsule instead I use what's already provided in the Macbook software or app you may call it Time Machine