• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious SSD OR HDD?

WILL YOU USE SSD OR HDD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
HDD for storage, SSD for OS drive.

Technology is moving at a rapid pace, not too long ago we had floppy disks.

fyi, data on ssd nand chips can go missing. as for hdd, you can diy your own data recovery. now, with optane, probably, the guys at intel know about the flaw in ssd. and ssd is not the future storage, hdd is still the champ.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
fyi, data on ssd nand chips can go missing. as for hdd, you can diy your own data recovery. now, with optane, probably, the guys at intel know about the flaw in ssd. and ssd is not the future storage, hdd is still the champ.

I've converted to SSD for ALL my drives and never looked back.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've converted to SSD for ALL my drives and never looked back.

i do not know how important data is to you but i can say you are taking a big risk, backing up on cloud is also not a viable option. i have heard of disastrous stories of how people losing their precious moment pictures taken in the last decade. most foolproof plan till now, is to have three different backups, two local and one cloud based.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/205382-ssds-can-lose-data-in-as-little-as-7-days-without-power

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
i do not know how important data is to you but i can say you are taking a big risk, backing up on cloud is also not a viable option. i have heard of disastrous stories of how people losing their precious moment pictures taken in the last decade. most foolproof plan till now, is to have three different backups, two local and one cloud based.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/205382-ssds-can-lose-data-in-as-little-as-7-days-without-power

SSDs are super fast. I use Carbon Copy Cloner and schedule my automated backup so that I always have at least 3 backup copies ranging from 1 day to 1 week old.

The smart backup routine speeds things up even further.

All drives will fail at some point but this can be mitigated by running a physical check regularly to detect bad blocks.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SSDs are super fast. I use Carbon Copy Cloner and schedule my automated backup so that I always have at least 3 backup copies ranging from 1 day to 1 week old.

The smart backup routine speeds things up even further.

All drives will fail at some point but this can be mitigated by running a physical check regularly to detect bad blocks.

i am using macrium relfect for my windoze and also running scheduled backups. one local and other on cloud. my point is for data recovery on hdd, you can manage on your own. for ssd as it is made up of nand ic chips, no other ways except to bring it into the laboratory in the case of failure, and it's going to be very expensive.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
i am using macrium relfect for my windoze and also running scheduled backups. one local and other on cloud. my point is for data recovery on hdd, you can manage on your own. for ssd as it is made up of nand ic chips, no other ways except to bring it into the laboratory in the case of failure, and it's going to be very expensive.

When they fail I just throw the SSD away and buy a new one. Had two failures so far after more than 5 years of use.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When they fail I just throw the SSD away and buy a new one. Had two failures so far after more than 5 years of use.

that's because you have backups and most of the elderly pple i know doesn't know how to or bother about backup.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
i bet that you had lost some data on your previous ssds and got it cloned anyway but you haven't realised it.

That's the whole idea of a backup schedule with multiple copies and that is to minimise data loss.

There is no such thing as zero data loss if a disk fails. The trick is to minimise the impact.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's the whole idea of a backup schedule with multiple copies and that is to minimise data loss.

There is no such thing as zero data loss if a disk fails. The trick is to minimise the impact.

if you have your data on hdd and had it backed up, sudden or unknown loss of data on ssd wouldn't have happened. ideally, with new optane technology which speed things up.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
if you have your data on hdd and had it backed up, sudden or unknown loss of data on ssd wouldn't have happened. ideally, with new optane technology which speed things up.

Data loss can happen on any medium. The amount of data loss depends on the age of your latest backup. If you back up daily then you lose at most a day's data. If you back up weekly then you can lose up to a week.

If you don't monitor the health of your drives you can lose a ton of data if the back up copies corrupted data to your back up drives.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Data loss can happen on any medium. The amount of data loss depends on the age of your latest backup. If you back up daily then you lose at most a day's data. If you back up weekly then you can lose up to a week.

If you don't monitor the health of your drives you can lose a ton of data if the back up copies corrupted data to your back up drives.

is there any manual or automated way to check your ssds??:rolleyes:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

haha...i using a samsung evo and it comes with a samsung magician software, it says my ssd drive is in good condition but just couple of days ago, i noticed my windows download folder missing as many as five downloaded programs. i thought my eyes playing trick and i refer to my backup, indeed, the downloaded programs did a "david copperfield"

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I’m just a low end screw salesman can only afford hdd. Ssd is a luxury item.