• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Squid game

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Watched 25 minutes of the first episode and fell asleep in the process.

Does it get any better or is it more of the same?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Yes it gets better. First 2 episodes are very slow. They had to set up the characterization.

But from 3rd episode it got very interesting. My wife and I watched like episodes 3 ,4 and 5 one go. Quite gripping.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Yes it gets better. First 2 episodes are very slow. They had to set up the characterization.

But from 3rd episode it got very interesting. My wife and I watched like episodes 3 ,4 and 5 one go. Quite gripping.

OK will persevere.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Just finished Episode 4 and that's more than enough time for the paint to dry.

Cliche plots and story lines in every single episode so far.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
squid game is quite good. over-rated to some extent though. overall exciting but predictable story plot. 7.5/10. similar drama - alice in borderland ( 2020 ). it is also good. i liked it more.

ChaoKuan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Have you tried this?

Liar_Game_Season1-p1.jpg

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It's garbage.

My Name is a far better Korean TV series.

My Name has its moments. But they made it too obvious from the start who the killer was. The selection of that actor as the chief of the narcotics team was wrong. That guy always act good guy.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Squid Game's appeal is actually not the so called games themselves, lots of Japanese and Korean dramas have had similar themes in the past. There are only so many ways you can play this sort of storyline.

I think it's appeal is really the ability to resonate with a lot of lower / middle class' predicament. If you minus the dramatic game elements, the characters you see and the desperation and helplessness they encounter are really just caricatures of what many people who have unsuccessful or mediocre lives will encounter.

My personal anecdotal observation is the more successful a person is (in financial and non-financial sense), the less likely they are impressed with Squid Game. They might still watch as it's not a bad show, but it's just a normal entertaining show to pass time. The really obsessed ones generally are not doing so well.

Just my personal observation, no offence intended.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Squid Game's appeal is actually not the so called games themselves, lots of Japanese and Korean dramas have had similar themes in the past. There are only so many ways you can play this sort of storyline.

I think it's appeal is really the ability to resonate with a lot of lower / middle class' predicament. If you minus the dramatic game elements, the characters you see and the desperation and helplessness they encounter are really just caricatures of what many people who have unsuccessful or mediocre lives will encounter.

My personal anecdotal observation is the more successful a person is (in financial and non-financial sense), the less likely they are impressed with Squid Game. They might still watch as it's not a bad show, but it's just a normal entertaining show to pass time. The really obsessed ones generally are not doing so well.

Just my personal observation, no offence intended.
I really loved the show and it resonated a lot with my wife and me.
I totally agree your points.
The way I see it is those people who are working hard and struggling buy lottery in the hopes they can win and no longer have to work so hard, sometimes wish they could die and no longer have to suffer (depressed or burnt out from work) will be able to much better relate to the characters.
You are right. Thats why comfortable retirees who dont have to worry about money no longer stressed about work and paying bills and supporting children will find the show boring.