• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sport can unite S’poreans as one: DPM Teo

Hammerton

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teo Chee Hean has emphasised that sport will play an important role in Singapore's future.

Speaking at the Singapore Sports Awards 2011 ceremony held at the Orchard Hotel on Wednesday, DPM Teo said, "Living in a nation of many races and many cultures, we need to find a common ground. Sport is that common ground, the space we can all share and celebrate.

"Sport is our opportunity to unite as one, regardless of language, religion, race or age," added the Home Affairs Minister.

DPM Teo, who is also the President of the Singapore National Olympic Council, noted that sport, with its incredible ability to break down barriers and unify a diversified population, will certainly play a more prominent role in Singapore's constant strive for excellence.

He also reminded Team Singapore athletes and officials of their ability to "bring our nation to its feet," further illustrating the power of sport and the role it plays in nation building.

Yes, I agreed that sport definitely has great potential as a unifier. However, in order for it to release its potent energy, sport must be seem by our people, to be played by our players and for the enjoyment of our people.

This is not the case in the Singapore context ... somewhere along the ways, we lost it! We imported mercenaries, generously gave them our PR and citizenship with promise of big rewards for winning medals. Where and what glories are there to call ours?

A wise man once said “Winning isn’t everything but striving to win is.” I would rather we spent our time, effort and money to develop our local talents for each and every game we played! I'll be just as proud to see our Singapore's Color worn by our own talents ... truly representing us in competition. Win or lose ... I will stand proud!

Oh ... by the way, I would truly appreciate all the sport commentators, writers, etc to stop calling all the baboons and monkeys in our soccer league ... "Lions" for they don't deserved and a disgrace to our nation!

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this long face cheebye lang still trying to bullcrap about sport just becoz so many foreigners representing S'pore................

i always hope S'pore lose in all sports....................unless it's a pure S'pore team.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to have pride and unite as one when you have foreigners coming to play ? Pay them so much and in the end, married someone and go back to her native country.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How to have pride and unite as one when you have foreigners coming to play ? Pay them so much and in the end, married someone and go back to her native country.

hi there

1. another sheep pulling woold over sheep's eyes leh!
2. purchase here purchase there.
3. in a nutshell, it is plainly some medal chase.
4. what unity, my foot.

dankos

i agree. thats why in sleague its spore team vs FT team.

young lions whack beijing guoan
hougang fight with french team.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

you mean those PRC table tennis sluts ???

those bitches have no integrity or loyalty except for money........

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
But they lost sight of the objective and wanted shortcut to glory & fame. They got FTs in and it backfired. I did not feel proud whenever FTs win medal for us. We may not have many talents and people who want to choose sports as a career, but if the system can be packaged attractively without petty mindset, I think we can still groom our local pool of sportsmen, albeit it may be a slow process. We still can use money to get good quality foriegn coaches. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
But they lost sight of the objective and wanted shortcut to glory & fame. They got FTs in and it backfired. I did not feel proud whenever FTs win medal for us. We may not have many talents and people who want to choose sports as a career, but if the system can be packaged attractively without petty mindset, I think we can still groom our local pool of sportsmen, albeit it may be a slow process. We still can use money to get good quality foriegn coaches. :biggrin:

The problem is not simply getting FTs in, because some FTs especially if they are nurtured from young and loyal to SG, will be great assets in the sporting arena.

The problem extends to the lower tier of political leaders, who have started to use sport as their own personal glory hunting ground, so as to impress the higher tier leaders. Unfortunately, they are too impatient and ambitious, hence the adverse results that we see not only among the sportsmen, the results, but also the general public.