• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore cannot be "winner takes all" society: PM Lee

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Singapore cannot be a society where the winner takes all, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. He was speaking to students receiving Edusave awards at his Teck Ghee ward in Ang Mo Kio GRC on Saturday.

SINGAPORE: Singapore cannot be a society where the winner takes all, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

He was speaking to students receiving Edusave awards at his Teck Ghee ward in Ang Mo Kio GRC on Saturday.

Mr Lee said they may have worked hard for their success, but since they also received help from the people around them, they have a responsibility to help others and to care for them.

It was a school trip to Japan which helped Secondary 4 student Soh Jing Zhi realise the importance of social responsibility.

When he returned to Singapore, he rallied his schoolmates to take charge of cleaning their own school.

Besides taking a leadership role in his co-curricular activity (Concert Band), Jing Zhi is also among the top three of his cohort last year - earning him the Edusave Scholarship, which is given to students who are in the top 10 per cent of their cohort.

Jing Zhi, who studies at Chong Boon Secondary School, said: “I enjoy what I do, so I do not find it a chore to keep up with my studies. To manage my time well, I have a schedule to keep to. Especially when I'm studying, I try to block out any distractions to keep myself on task.”

Giving out the awards, Mr Lee said he hopes these awards can encourage students to do better.

He said: "In Singapore, it doesn't matter what your starting point in life is. If you work hard, if you have the ability, you can rise. And we hope that our young people will work hard and study and do well. Of course, you shouldn't just work hard for awards or for academic grades. Ultimately, we hope you'll grow into good people and into responsible citizens and caring Singaporeans."

Mr Lee also commended students who have done well both academically and in their co-curricular activities, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

He said it takes courage to overcome difficult situations, but resilience makes this possible, and this determination to succeed is important for both the individual and the country.

Primary 6 student Ong Yong Jie has been receiving Edusave Awards, but this is his biggest haul with three awards - the Edusave Scholarship, Good Character Award and PCF Book Prize.

Yong Jie is not only in the top 10 per cent of his cohort, but he also juggles his time between taekwondo, art club, and helping his mother with household chores.

Last year, Yong Jie won a silver medal in the national taekwondo competition last year, and a bronze medal at the Maths Olympiad.

Yong Jie, who studies at Townsville Primary School, said: "She's very busy every day, and she has to take care of a lot more admin stuff, so I will help her do household chores like wiping the table after eating, washing the dishes and having to sweep the floor.”

Mr Lee commended students like Yong Jie for their resilience and urged them to care for those around them.

He said: “We’re not just doing well for ourselves, we also have to help others, and in particular, to help those who're not as fortunate as ourselves. We cannot be living in a society where the winner takes all.

“And when you succeed, you know that you worked hard, but friends helped you, parents helped you, teachers helped you, your colleagues helped you. Your classmates gave you friendly competition, shared homework with you. And so, you owe a responsibility to them to help them too, to care for them and to work together to give back to society, so that we can all progress together.”

Mr Lee added that the government will be introducing new policies to grow Singapore's economy while improving its social system.

The objective, he said, is to help young Singaporeans find good jobs with good opportunities in future.

- CNA/xq

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/s-pore-cannot-be-winner/951946.html

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is only 1 absolute winner in sinking land. and the answer is very obvious. psle one also know. Only the famiLEE can be winner. Sinkees can only be WHINERS!

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY and his family and relatives take all leaving peasants with the slimmest of crumbs to survive. Tell Ass Loon not to talk cock.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY and his family and relatives take all leaving peasants with the slimmest of crumbs to survive. Tell Ass Loon not to talk cock.

The only place fit for that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY to be buried under

Public-toilet-sign-in-Bei-009.jpg

20080225-public%20toilet%20perrochon.jpg

7830541.jpg

20071010119200281322880800.jpg

Bury that bastard LKY under a public toilet or in sewerage treatment plant.
Sinkies shit on him or flowing around him will purify that bastard LKY
The stink of our shit will smell a lot better than that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY

4384613-burning-joss-sticks-at-the-temple.jpg

China-DSC_6922.jpg

Above for smear of shit on sole of shoe to eat and enjoy now.
When that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY go die his long painful agonising death, the ghouls and demons will be raping and screwing him and not allow him time off to eat joss sticks and candle wax.

HE BETTER START EATING THOSE JOSS STICKS AND CANDLE WAX NOW NOW NOW

Tongkatali

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then why the fuck he himself is winner takes all? He got look at himself in the mirror before opening his mouth?

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fucking langjeow diarrhea from Ah Loonie.

He and his PAP gang of maggots cockroaches stole all our money into his father
smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY stinkapore sovereign funds of 700++ BILLIONS and to pay their underlings fucking filthy millions

After they stole what is our money , he can cheebye mouth talk of cannot winner takes all

AFTER WE YUMSENG TO HIS FATHER BECOMING A FUCKING CORPSE, WE WILL YUM SENG TO THE HOOTING OF AH LOONIE INTO SMALL PIECES BY THE SHARPENED KNIVES OF HIS OWN FILTHY PAP BACK AND FRONT STABBERS

iluvgst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always thought that we have a "winner takes all" set up with Million dollar salaries for the elite few whilst the bottom income earners have hardly any real wage growth. With the abolition of estate duties and low corporate and personal taxes, we have almost in place unbridled capitalism. We probably as "winner takes all" as in the USA, where the top 1% owns half the nations wealth. http://youtu.be/aU_ffH7Hb5o

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He said: "In Singapore, it doesn't matter what your starting point in life is. If you work hard, if you have the ability, you can rise."

He said: We cannot be living in a society where the winner takes all.

Blah blah and more blah...........His pedigree already assured him right from the start to be the Winner who takes all for his family.:oIo: His abilities is pretty questionable.:rolleyes:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is inequality anywhere, but in Singapore, the playing field is not really level at all. Upward social mobility is a myth, and meritocracy is an illusion.

Shorter version: Lee Hsien Loong talk cock.