• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SPH open apology for fabricating Covid interview!

Valium

Alfrescian
Loyal

订阅

查看冠状病毒19最新报道

关于“南大生不解为何染疾”的报道 ——致读者的公开信
文 / 韩咏梅
发布 / 2020年5月13日 2:40 PM

字体大小:

《联合晚报》在5月7日刊登一则新闻“阻断措施期间足不出户 南大生不解为何染疫”,被当事人柯政杰在网络上指责,引起关注。因为华文媒体集团三合一网站zaobao.sg上也节录了这篇报道的一则文,一些读者和公众以为《联合早报》也刊登了这则新闻,实际上《联合早报》并没有刊登。
首先,我们要回到报道这则新闻的初衷。
这个新闻发生在4月中旬,是病毒阻断期。那段期间,社区里还是出现一些零星的无法追踪病例,让人担忧。所以,当柯先生在社交媒体Instagram上,公开自己得病的消息(public post),我们的记者因为之前已认识柯先生,因此就注意到了他的贴文。当时柯先生以英文写道:我一直留在家,仍然感染了冠病。

柯先生和记者是旧相识,他们通过IG沟通。当记者表明自己的记者身份,要求访问时,柯先生拒绝了。
记者在尝试说服柯先生接受访问不果后,仍然选择了错误的方式根据柯先生当时公开的贴文以及对他的认识,当成对方受访写了新闻。然而,记者这么做时,并没有告诉他的直属上司,柯先生其实并不愿意接受访问。
新闻室有一套记者应该遵守的工作守则。我们承认在这个采访环节上,记者确实违反了我们的工作守则,柯先生既然已明确拒绝接受访问,我们可以根据已在社交媒体上公开的信息写报道,但是绝对不能说他接受访问。
另外,记者在报道中把柯先生的姓氏改为“许”,把他的家庭成员组成做了一些修改,是因为记者以为这样可以让他的朋友柯先生,避免被人对号入座。但记者这么做并没有得到柯先生的同意,也没有在新闻中明确指出这是化名,因此同样的,没有遵守我们的工作守则。

柯先生在5月7日晚上,在社交媒体指责记者“不道德”。8日下午,他发电邮到新闻室。我们严肃对待柯先生的指控,我们跟记者确认柯先生并没有答应受访的真相。当晚,我给他发了电邮,通知他经过内部调查,我们确定报道错误地指他接受我们的访问,实际上记者是根据他的社交媒体贴文写的新闻。我们已经从zaobao.sg上把文章撤下。
星期天(10日)傍晚,柯先生在面簿上发表文章“National Newspaper fabricates interview based on my COVID-19 experience”,指责《联合早报》刊登了虚构他得病过程的新闻。他说:This is misleading because it suggests and perpetuates the idea that people can get COVID-19 even if they stay home.
我们必须郑重纠正这点,《联合早报》完全没有刊登这则新闻。我们的报道更不是虚构的,而是根据柯先生的社交媒体贴文写的。
ig_post_on_stayhome.jpg
柯先生IG story截图。
回到我们的记者,他刚刚加入新闻工作,至今不到八周,他已知道自己的过失造成的影响。柯先生在5月10日的第二次来函中,要求我们考虑立即开除记者。尽管这是一个沉重也严重的错误,记者坦诚地承认了自己的错误。我们必须承担这个责任,并接受和处理它,从中检讨以避免重犯。
我们郑重向柯政杰先生道歉,我们不应该在柯先生拒绝受访的情况下说他接受访问。这件事提醒我们,必须不停地审视我们的作业,贯彻我们做新闻的原则与程序。
华文媒体集团新闻中心
总编辑
韩咏梅
2020年5月13日
Open letter to readers concerning news article "NTU Student perplexed at how he contracted COVID virus"
Lianhe Wanbao published an article on 7 May, titled "NTU Student perplexed at how he contracted COVID virus despite not having left the house during circuit breaker period". The content of the article was later refuted by Mr Quah Zheng Jie, the subject of the article, in his social media post.
As zaobao.sg carries the content of SPH's three Chinese news dailies, readers and the public alike assumed that the article was carried in Lianhe Zaobao, which was not the case.
Firstly, let me explain the rationale for reporting this story.
Our reporter had worked on this story since mid-April, during the circuit breaker period. At that time, there remained a number of COVID cases in the community that could not be traced. This was a concern to our readers, and therefore became a focus of our reporting. Our reporter, who is acquainted with Mr Quah, saw his Instagram post which read: "If by the end of the few stories and you still don't get it I got the covid even though I stayed home".
Our reporter contacted Mr Quah via IG and struck up a conversation. When our reporter made it clear that he was a journalist and requested an interview with Mr Quah, Mr Quah turned down the request.
Notwithstanding the unwillingness of Mr Quah to be interviewed, our reporter used the wrong method to report on the story, by framing the article as an interview when it was actually written based on Mr Quah's IG posts and his personal understanding of Mr Quah. He did not inform his immediate supervisor that he had not obtained Mr Quah's consent for the interview.
The newsroom has in place strict protocols and procedures to ensure that our news reporting standards are upheld. In this instance, the reporter had not followed the procedures and protocols expected of all our journalists. As Mr Quah had declined to be interviewed, the reporter could still have written the article, making reference to the facts publicly available, e.g. public social media posts, but should not portray it as an interview piece.
In addition, Mr Quah's family circumstances and surname were changed in an attempt to obscure the real identity of Mr Quah. No permission was granted to do so and the reporter also did not indicate, as our protocol requires, that an alias was used to protect the identity of the newsmaker. These actions also constituted a deviation from our protocols.
On 7 May 2020, Mr Quah took to social media accusing our reporter for behaving unethically. He followed up with an email to our newsroom on 8 May 2020. The newsroom management took his accusations seriously, and after confirming that the reporter in question did not interview Mr Quah, we replied to Mr Quah saying that "we have taken down the report from our website and social media after an internal investigation".
We further explained to Mr Quah that the reporter had written the story based on Mr Quah's social media posts, and that the reporter "had made a mistake and a wrong judgement to mention in the article that you were interviewed despite the fact that you said you were not willing to. We apologise for the wrong attribution and the inconvenience caused".
On Sunday 10 May, Mr Quah posted an article on his facebook page: "National Newspaper fabricates interview based on my COVID-19 experience".
The article accused Lianhe Zaobao of fabricating his experience and alleged that, "This is misleading because it suggests and perpetuates the idea that people can get COVID-19 even if they stay home."
This news in fact ran on Lianhe Wanbao and not Lianhe Zaobao. In addition, the story was not fabricated. The details were based on extracts from Mr Quah's social media posts.
ig_post_on_stayhome.jpg
Screenshot from Mr Quah's IG Story.
The reporter is relatively new to the job, having just joined the newsroom two months ago. In his second email to the newsroom on 11 May, Mr Quah urged the newsroom to consider dismissing the reporter. Although the reporter has indeed made a mistake, the reporter has been truthful in admitting his mistake and expressing his remorse for misleading readers and impacting the newspaper's reputation. We need to carefully consider if there are mitigating factors for someone who is just starting off his career.
The company has a disciplinary system in place, and if a reporter or staff is alleged to have violated any protocols or code of conduct, he or she has the right to a proper investigation process and hearing. We have set up an independent disciplinary committee to review the case, and will decide on the penalties to be imposed. SPH, as the employer of the reporter, will take responsibility by addressing the mistake, and take measures to avoid further recurrences.
We sincerely apologise to Mr Quah, as we should not have attributed the story we ran to an interview with him when he expressly declined the interview request. This incident serves as a timely reminder to us, that we should constantly review our working procedures and reiterate to our colleagues the importance of adhering to journalistic principles and processes.
Han Yong May
Editor, NewsHub
SPH Chinese Media Group
13-05-2020

LIKE我们的官方面簿网页以获取更多新信息

阻断期照做生意被控 女老板庭上崩溃磕头痛哭
阿娇离婚传为“猪扬风波”救火
热文推荐
Recommended by

推荐新闻

阻断期照做生意被控 女老板庭上崩溃磕头痛哭

珍珠大厦公寓砍人案另外八男一女也落网 警方仍在寻找两涉案男子

进巴刹不会扫QR码 阿嫂遭呛:活这么老怎不学?

疫情当前 吉隆坡竟现斋戒月市集

即时新闻

中港台 14分钟前
大陆外交部促法撤对台售武计划

国际 15分钟前
慕克力否认吉打州希盟政府倒台

国际 23分钟前
西班牙113岁老人战胜冠病康复

新加坡 24分钟前
提升冠病采样效率 武装部队与国防科技局合作推出流动检测站

国际 26分钟前
欧盟:航空公司无须空出中间位子来防病毒传播

中港台 42分钟前
中信银行原行长孙德顺涉嫌受贿被提起公诉

热门

新加坡即时 17小时前
珍珠大厦砍人案 共11男1女被捕

新加坡即时 2小时前
本地新增675起病例 仅两人是本地居民

新加坡即时 18小时前
本地两名冠病病患逝世 死因与冠病无关

新加坡即时 2020年5月11日
68岁本地男子因冠病并发症逝世

明星 2020年5月12日
毁掉罗志祥太嚣张? 周扬青妈妈看不下去

读者投票
投票结果

在手机下载合力追踪(TraceTogether)应用,有助于尽早发现冠病感染群,你愿意下载?
愿意,防止冠病传播是全民的责任
不确定,不懂得下载
不愿意,虽然病毒可怕,我还是担心隐私被侵犯
更多精彩内容

晚报精选
新明精选
一带一路

关于我们
联络我们
关注我们
广告联络
投函/投稿

热线
新加坡报业控股总机 63196319
订阅热线 63883838
早报广告联系 63198611
早报新闻热线 1800-7418383

logo-footer@2x.png

新加坡报业控股版权所有(公司登记号:198402868E)
在中国的用户请游览 zaobao.com
提醒:新加坡网络业者若未经许可,擅自引用本网内容将面对法律行动。
第三方公司可能在早报网站宣传他们的产品或服务。不过您跟第三方公司的任何交易与早报网站无关,早报将不会对可能引起的任何损失负责。
Facebook

Twitter

WeChat

WhatsApp

Email
分享

宅在家做什么?

quidnunc

Alfrescian
Loyal
"The article accused Lianhe Zaobao of fabricating his experience and alleged that, "This is misleading because it suggests and perpetuates the idea that people can get COVID-19 even if they stay home."
This news in fact ran on Lianhe Wanbao and not Lianhe Zaobao. In addition, the story was not fabricated. The details were based on extracts from Mr Quah's social media posts."
End quote.

The editor is splitting hairs. Zaobao.sg is the digital version of Zaobao. The complainant may have missed the difference. But it is not the main focus. Instead of giving a sincere apology, the editor attempts to obfuscate the matter.

As for her defense that the story was not a fabrication, it is a lame argument. The very fact that the reporter manufactured the story citing it as an interview is in itself a lie.

Our media must learn to come clean and not behave like the politicians of this country.

Valium

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Quah's reply to the SPH prostitute Ms Han.

Quah Zheng Jie
Disappointing response from SPH - A follow up to ‘National Newspaper fabricates interview based on my COVID-19 experience’.
9 MINUTES AGO · PUBLIC
I thank SPH’s editor, Ms. Han Yong May, for her public response (on behalf of SPH) to my situation and my earlier write-up. On top of Ms. Han’s public response, I also have received an email response* from SPH’s legal counsel, the contents of which I shall not disclose.

edit: *To clarify it was not a legal letter, but just an email from their legal counsel. (“Private and Confidential”)
In my view, both responses were disappointing and did not fully address all the points I have made in my first write-up, hence I am compelled to pen this open response to SPH.
In short, SPH asserted that:
  1. James’ story was not fabricated – the details were based on extracts from my social media posts
  2. James was in the wrong for lying about interviewing me (to date, the only thing they have apologised for is “wrongly attributing a story they ran to an interview with me”)
  3. James is still allowed to write the article, making reference only to publicly available facts.

Here is my response:
1. Ms. Han shared one of my public Instagram stories in her response. I wish to clarify this Instastory: when I mentioned getting COVID-19 despite staying at home, “staying at home” meant I stopped non-essential exposure to the outside world in line with the Circuit Breaker rules.
Not once was I asked by James/SPH about what my Instagram Story meant, even though SPH published that I “never left the house during CB”.
2. James’s story IS concocted, just not wholly. It was a mix of my actual personal details, details from social media, and fake information as clarified below:
97122738_10158229756867383_4675405577705226240_n.jpg

"Time to fact-check!"

3. How can SPH make up a fictional story based around my real information?
  • SPH claims that the changes made to my family circumstances and my surname were an attempt to obscure my identity. I cannot help but doubt this statement, but I do not wish to pursue it.
  • The true identifiers (age, school, gender) mentioned in the article easily linked back to me and - by extension - my family. As mentioned in my first write-up, a friend’s father easily recognised that the person “interviewed” in the article was me. This has psychologically affected me and my family.
  • I am perplexed by how this fake news managed to make its way through so many pairs of eyes in the organisation (e.g. editors, typesetters). Especially since it was given front page (top story) coverage in the papers, it is implied that they must have viewed it as important, exclusive news.
96662612_10158229809927383_3905078093378748416_o.jpg

Featured on cover page, article even took up a majority of a page" Source : (James, 2020, p. 3).retrieved from: https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/main/sphnewspapers

4. What exactly was the purpose of the article?
  • SPH claims that they reported their story following public concerns about the number of untraceable COVID-19 community cases.
  • By downplaying my pre-CB routine, and conconting a fictional tale of how my parents stayed home during CB, it feeds the paranoia that one could get infected with COVID-19 even with less exposure (“Staying Home”)?
  • The original article was also titled “NTU Student perplexed at how he contracted COVID virus despite not having left the house during the circuit breaker period”. It perplexes me why this title, when unproven, was published in such a time of public concern and paranoia.
  • In actual fact, the article has stoked public concern (see NTU confessions, FB comments). Did James/SPH not consider this potential consequence before publishing his false story?
  • Hence, I can only ponder the intended purpose of publishing this false story.
5. A fact that we have established: James went against my wishes by publishing a story quoting my actual social media/personal details despite me explicitly saying that I did not want my experience to be used for a story.
  • I have been told that it is common practice to utilise citizens’ information, but only if permission has been granted and the source appropriately cited (which never happened).
  • It is upsetting that SPH seems to defend their actions by implying that my social media was publicly available, without acknowledging their fake story concocted based on my Instagram Stories.
6. Disciplinary Action
  • It is unfortunate that SPH published my request for James to be fired. Nevertheless, I apologise if I have offended anyone.
  • I hope the public understands that this request was made when I was under extreme stress from many sources, including catching COVID and the entire Wanbao situation.
  • I firmly believe that all journalists hold a special place in society. They are entrusted with serving and informing the public with the truth and translating complex matters into understandable terms. Therefore, I hope that fresh journalists (like James) can be supervised more, with additional layers of vetting of their publication drafts. This ensures accuracy of information, allowing the media to fulfil their sacred responsibilities.
  • Finally, I acknowledge and thank SPH for their swift response in setting up an independent committee to review this matter. I will also respect any disciplinary decisions (if any) meted out to “James”.
In Summary:
  • SPH has made multiple assertions in their response, but I am of the view that some were incorrect as explained above. Additionally, SPH has also not fully acknowledged my concerns. Contrary to SPH’s claim, James concocted fictional information. In light of the recent introduction of POFMA, I also hope the public can ponder the following questions:
  • Is the media allowed to take citizens’ real details and associate/extrapolate liberally into a fictional story?
  • If a citizen says “no” to the sharing of his social media/personal information/experience, is it acceptable for the media to do so against his wishes?

Ending Note:
It has been a stressful, tiring, and long Covid-19 recovery process for me. This long-drawn situation has not made things easier. As I am physically and psychologically drained, this will be the last time that I address my issue against SPH and Wanbao publicly, regardless of the adequacy of their response.
I hope my ordeal will remind journalists, regardless of seniority, that the pen is mightier than the sword. The words they use and stories they run can potentially feed into and become someone else’s reality. I also hope that the public can be reminded to always be critical and not take anything at face value. May some good come out of this entire situation.
At this juncture, I would like to sincerely thank all those who have lent me support in this trying time, from wishing me good health to stepping forward with your own unfortunate encounters with the media. To those dear to me and to the strangers who have read my earlier piece, I thank you all. :smile:

Some other clarifications:
  1. SPH claims that James and I are old friends. The Chinese version of their response used “旧相识“, a phrase which suggests a degree of closeness that is not true. The English version used “acquainted” which would be a slightly more appropriate term for this matter. The fact of the matter is that I have only briefly met James ONCE in real life.
  2. I would also like to thank Ms. Han for clarifying that the story was published in Lianhe Wanbao and zaobao.sg, and the latter carries the content of SPH’s three Chinese news dailies. For this, I would like to acknowledge this new information and apologise for my blunder in associating zaobao.sg with Lianhe Zaobao. Nonetheless, they posted the article on Zaobao’s Facebook page. I would like to clarify that my previous write-up referred to a Lianhe Wanbao published story instead.
Reference list:
“James” (2020) "阻断措施期间足不出户 南大生不解为何染疫", 联合晚报, 7 May, p.3.
97493034_10158229789972383_896119452859367424_o.jpg

PUBLISHED WITH APPROVAL FROM MYSELF: "IG Stories posted on the day James reached out to me do not contain my daily activities, and my details of my family."
Show more reactions
Comment

33 Shares

Quah Zheng Jie
It seems like my photos were REPORTED and thus, REMOVED from my previous post.
I will update them again
1 hrLikeReplyMore

Sean Tan
good job calling it out! Supporting David against this massively unaccountable Goliath.

#Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
30 minsLikeReplyMore

Thang Thang
Very high handed of them to issue legal counsel letter on the sly by leaving this out from their open letter. Get your rest now but reserve the right to pursue this contravention of your privacy later. They must have done the same thing to countless victims whom they intimidated before.
25 minsLikeReplyMore
Thang Thang replied · 3 replies

Nigel Kow
Well done! Need any financial backing for legal fees? Let me know.
23 minsLikeReplyMore
Quah Zheng Jie replied · 1 reply

Windsor Lim
Is not worth to talk to stubborn bulls. Just cut the ties totally with this unethical reporter.
1 minLikeReplyMore

Write a comment...

quidnunc

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's no excuse for lack of supervision by editors on the writer. All the more so when the writer is a rookie. One of the first questions an editor should ask a writer is his source. Unless the writer also lied about it to his editor, the fact that the story had not originated from an interview would have been evident from the start. So, Ms Han's defense is lame.

I am intrigued by the legal counsel's letter. I can only surmise one of two things. First, an offer of goodwill in some form monetary compensation for their mistake, on condition that this marks the end of the matter. Two, a veiled warning to Mr Quah to not repeat certain accusations against SPH and its newspapers. I wonder...

quidnunc

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.straitstimes.com/busine...utm_medium=share&utm_term=2020-05-14+22:23:28

Another attempt to hoodwink readers and investors. Anybody can implement Google Analytics 360 as long as you purchase the software from Google. About $150k a year, I think. Unless Anthony Tan, the dy CEO is saying SPH gets to use it free of charge, which I doubt.

You're probably wondering why SPH has to cooperate with Google. Truth is SPH has no choice but to surremder it's own backyard to a media superpower to survive in the digital sphere. For all the talk about its digital first strategy, SPH has no answer to the Google and Facebook of this world. So, instead of competing, SPH is caving in and yielding its market to Google in return for crumbs. Things are getting from bad to worse under the current leadership of NYC and Anthony Tan.