• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SMRT found lightning as the next culprit for train delay

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Lightning causes electrical failure on North-South Line, leads to 35 min delay[/h]
SMRT

Train services on the North-South Line was delayed on Sunday morning after a southbound train had an electrical failure.

By Royston Sim

Train service on the North-South Line was delayed on Sunday morning after a southbound train had an electrical failure.
In a statement on Facebook, SMRT said the fault was caused by lightning that struck somewhere around the Kranji station area during the morning thunderstorm.

The affected train stalled at Woodlands MRT at about 6.40am and was later pushed back to the depot by another empty train.
SMRT said the incident caused a delay of about 35 minutes and affected some 3,500 passengers.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry I cannot accept this reason.
Singapore is a lightning prone country and why did SMRT breakdown due to lightning and first time in the history?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore is a lightning prone country and why did SMRT breakdown due to lightning and first time in the history?

They are coming up with more excuses to cover up their mistakes, by blaming on nature, who can neither reply or be sued. But the 60% had been struck by LIGHTNING since 1959 & have never recovered. To them, this is all right..

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scientists has proved that according to physics, lightning only struck the highest point within the area.
Does SMRT has any antenna or whatever installation so high up the ground?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yeah, no lightning-caused breakdowns for the few decades, now suddenly there's one. :rolleyes:

Why not blame floods, earthquakes, haze, dengue mosquitoes for train breakdowns?

:kma:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scientists has proved that according to physics, lightning only struck the highest point within the area.
Does SMRT has any antenna or whatever installation so high up the ground?
Not true. Lightning strikes on path of least resistance and highest charge.

MRT tracks and trains should have been lightning protected. I suspect the untold story is that the SMRT lightning protection system was not maintained properly, resulting in lightning strike damaging the train.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess only volcanic eruptions are an acceptable cause to interrupt train services in Singapore...

Last edited:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess only volcanic eruptions are an acceptable cause to interrupt train services in Singapore...
Singapore has highest lightning strike per sq km. It is known issue and every building and even bus stop also have lightning protection. How to explain the lightning damage the SMRT train resulting in another delay? It is like saying the rain damaged the MRT train and you find that acceptable.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not true. Lightning strikes on path of least resistance and highest charge.

MRT tracks and trains should have been lightning protected. I suspect the untold story is that the SMRT lightning protection system was not maintained properly, resulting in lightning strike damaging the train.

You can sure that the designers, of the system, the engineers that built it, have lightning protection factored in & installed. You hit the nail right on the head with the maintenance thing, in which they will try to deflect...deflect to blaming gourd!. They have a 'friend of the family', running the company ( now ex), whose expertise is in sales...so, the emphasis is on MAKING MONEY..not so much on, maintaining the rail system.

We are really thankful, despite this oversight...no one has died YET! from a rail disaster! :p

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
guess who screwed SMRT?

PAP_logo_variation.png

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore has highest lightning strike per sq km. It is known issue and every building and even bus stop also have lightning protection. How to explain the lightning damage the SMRT train resulting in another delay? It is like saying the rain damaged the MRT train and you find that acceptable.

1 lightning-caused breakdown in a few decades is too much? What's there to compare...

ScarFace

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel that it is a perfectly acceptable and reasonable explanation. Even with the best of lightning protection system installed, no equipment is guaranteed to not fail during a thunder/lightning storm. Not unless it operates within a Faraday's cage.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I feel that it is a perfectly acceptable and reasonable explanation. Even with the best of lightning protection system installed, no equipment is guaranteed to not fail during a thunder/lightning storm. Not unless it operates within a Faraday's cage.

Who does not know that? But to strut around like a 'peacock" and boast they are they best, deserve to take a pot shot at!. Come off it also, poor maintenance...is poor....who in the bloody world don't know...wear & tear...as any ah pek in the coffee shop, they do not need a degree to explain that to you...:rolleyes:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
1 lightning-caused breakdown in a few decades is too much? What's there to compare...
Tomorrow it will be a bug, followed by a snake. Maybe a speck of dirt the following week. An overgrown weed next month. There is something called minimum standard, and lightning strike is not suppose to disrupt the train, period.

There's something more to this incident.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tomorrow it will be a bug, followed by a snake. Maybe a speck of dirt the following week. An overgrown weed next month. There is something called minimum standard, and lightning strike is not suppose to disrupt the train, period.

There's something more to this incident.

I really don't see how you can compare a lightning strike with a bug...you are clearly biased towards them.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who does not know that? But to strut around like a 'peacock" and boast they are they best, deserve to take a pot shot at!. Come off it also, poor maintenance...is poor....who in the bloody world don't know...wear & tear...as any ah pek in the coffee shop, they do not need a degree to explain that to you...:rolleyes:

Which company doesn't claim to be world leaders and the best nowadays...