• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Smartphones "as addictive as cocaine"! Are you addicted?

ThugSin

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
iphone-galaxys3.jpg.jpeg

Smartphones are “as addictive as cocaine or any other drug,” according to psychotherapist Steve Pope, who has been helping a man cope with the addiction that cost him his relationship and job.

John Benson from Blackpool in the UK discovered the hard way that his smartphone was no longer just a useful tool or periodic pastime, but something that he felt compelled to use, and something that began to take over his life.

“It's not as if I knew I was doing it,” Benson told BBC Radio 5, “I just got a phone and realised I could play games on it, which is all good and well, but it was like downloading apps or wanting music, or if you were out somewhere and just wanted to listen to one song, you can do it. I thought it wasn't addictive.”

The problem became much larger, however, when Benson began to spend most of his time on the smartphone, downloading thousands of apps and songs, sometimes the same app several times due to impatience waiting for the download to complete.

He stopped eating, stopped bathing or shaving, and did not leave the house. In fact, there was an attempted break-in of his house at one time, but Benson did not stir from his smartphone. He was also £10,000 out of pocket due to the cost of apps, etc, over the three and a half years he spent on the devices.

Benson even smashed up smartphones to stop himself, but he said it does not work, as he just wanted another one. He said he feels better with the phone in his hand, and his hands are sweaty without it.

Pope, Benson's psychotherapist, called smartphones “a silent killer” because of the fact that they are legal and thus it can be deceptive about just how addictive they are in the hands of someone with an addictive personality. He said the problem is particularly prevalent among teenagers and children.

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/smartphones-as-addictive-as-cocaine-/19923.html#ixzz2SJb4uFyr

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smartphones are no different to cars, houses, washing machines, fridge etc. Some people will go overboard and want the best, most sophisticated and have little idea how to get the best out of it. Cars to some are addictive. Except for houses, the rest do not grow in value.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Smartphones are no different to cars, houses, washing machines, fridge etc. Some people will go overboard and want the best, most sophisticated and have little idea how to get the best out of it. Cars to some are addictive. Except for houses, the rest do not grow in value.

Problem is a smart phone is a combination of a number of gadgets like, sufing machine, VCR, camera, TV, MP3 player, calculator, clock, phone, messaging machine, email..... the list goes on.

ThugSin

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
8 out of 10 pple will be playing with their phone inside mrt. Is either games or dramas.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Guess it's not just being connected (work and social), but also lifestyle thingy. Panders to latest fads etc.

Addicted? Maybe latest gizmos can make coffee too?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree and I will never do anywhere without it and some of the features have helped even in emergencies. Practically indispensable when travelling as everything is on it.Cloud now makes it even more indispensable as you can pull your entire archive at a drop of a hat.

Problem is a smart phone is a combination of a number of gadgets like, sufing machine, VCR, camera, TV, MP3 player, calculator, clock, phone, messaging machine, email..... the list goes on.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's not smartphones that are addictive. it's what you do on it with apps and content. such as tony playing angrybeans with the latest version "legumes vs. meatballs".

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i had a nokia 6510 from 2002 to 2010. then i was given a old sony ericsson G900 and i use it until today... if everyone is like me, the mobile shops will all close down... :biggrin:

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Only gullible blur fucks need to bring their phones with them everywhere they go.
LOL LOL LOL.......................

jw5

Loyal
can also be use as a hand grenade :wink:

The other time, we were discussing on another thread that anything can be used as a weapon, including a calculator and an abacus.
Mobile phone hit the head can be very painful too, no wonder that fellow in the pic is wearing a helmet........ :biggrin: