• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SM Goh urges S'poreans not to make sending parents to elder homes a trend

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay Kiwi boy we'll send you to a home when you're old. Nah, across the causeway lagi better.

You stupid idiot.

Mr Goh Chok Tong shows his ignorance with his statement. He is totally unaware that a properly equipped and staffed nursing home for the aged can be superior to leaving one's parents at home in the care of a poorly trained foreign maid (no medical skills, language/cultural barriers, nutrition training etc).

When a old person loses his mobility or mental faculties or has severe medical conditions it is downright cruel and unsafe to leave one's aged parents(dementia, non mobile with serious medical conditions) at home alone with a poorly trained maid.

What Goh Chok Tong should be doing is to upgrade the facilities of the current nursing homes in S'pore that look more like C Class Wards with little or no privacy. Go and observe the nursing homes in NZ to see how comfortable they are with private rooms and ensuite toilets. Professional Nurses, dieticians, phsiotherapists etc provide expert geriatric care. Emotional support is given in group activities/outings by by the community of similar aged residents staying in the retirement homes.

The NZ govt is also compassionate enough to give REAL $$$ subsidies (NOT market subsidies) for the old and infirm staying in nursing homes. I forgot the word "COMPASSION" is not in Goh Chok Tong's or the PAP's vocabulary.

For readers wishing to know what nursing homes in NZ are: see below for just an example;
http://www.cht.co.nz/rest-homes-royal-oak.html

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wooden oi,,,, look at your own family,,, your sons and daughters are abandoning you, rather to send you to JB, they send themselves to UK,,,,,

speak for yourself woody,,,,

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay Kiwi boy we'll send you to a home when you're old. Nah, across the causeway lagi better.

You stupid idiot.

You are the real brain dead idiot who probably failed English comprehension in school based on your retarded response which shows that you completely do not understand what I have posted.

GOH CHOK TONG doesn't have a clue about GERIATRIC CARE that an aging S'pore population needs. Keeping an aged parent with debilitating degenerative ailments (impaired vision, mobility, hearing, dementia etc) brought on by old age in the care of a maid is NOT FILIAL PIETY or the correct solution.

An old parent left at home with a maid (often overloaded with other general duties) would be most prone to suffer from falls which can cause hip fractures or fatal concussions to the brain depending on how they fall.

Reduced mobility, special nutritional needs, expert nursing care 24/7 can only be provided by a professional nursing home.

Sending old folks to cheap 3rd world standard old folks home in Johore is NOT the solution. Most S'porean's idea including SM Goh Chok Tong of a nursing home is that of a large dormitory of beds filled with old folks with ZERO privacy (C Class ward style) or even worse; those Death houses of SAGO LANE that he probably remembers from his childhood days. GCT should learn what proper nursing homes in 1st world countries can do for their geriatric cases.

Proper funding or subsidies for those with insufficient CPF and upgrading of the nursing homes to professional 1st world standards to give old S'poreans needing them a dignified quality of life in their old age should be the PAP's top priority NOW. Playing on guilt feelings on S'poreans about sending their geriatric parents needing professional attention is totally irresponsible governance on HIS part as an SM. If NZ which has less GDP and lower per capital income can do it why can't S'PORE?

Of course, I don't expect an imbecile like you to understand all of the above. Cos you are only capable of one or two liner knee jerk retarded responses.

Last edited:

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
If GCT believes in what he says we hope to see action on the part of the govt to address this need of the elderly so that they will never have to be sent to more economical nursing homes across the causeway. Otherwise he is simply giving lip service.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mr Goh Chok Tong shows his ignorance with his statement. He is totally unaware that a properly equipped and staffed nursing home for the aged can be superior to leaving one's parents at home in the care of a poorly trained foreign maid (no medical skills, language/cultural barriers, nutrition training etc).

http://www.cht.co.nz/rest-homes-royal-oak.html

Can tell that you have not visited the best nursing home and have no old folks problem yet.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can tell that you have not visited the best nursing home and have no old folks problem yet.

I may not have visited the BEST nursing home both in Singapore and NZ but from those that I have visited in Singapore (Payoh Lai Home, St Joseph's Home and One is Yishun with an Indian name-Sri something home); they are;
1. Usually run like C Class Wards with no privacy for residents.
2. Run MOSTLY by Charitable NON-GOVT Organisations. Makes one wonder; are there any run by the GOVT or if not, is the govt giving subsidies or grants to those who need to be cared for in nursing homes?

In contrast, the nursing homes in NZ are many and very well run and developed. I have seen more nursing homes in a small city like Christchurch (300,000 population) than I have seen in Singapore.

It is Goh Chok Tong who is most out of touch with the real world of lesser mortals. In the S’pore context where the effects of the Stop at 2 policy are being felt; some even stop at 1. Each husband/wife unit would have 4 aged parents (in laws) to care for.

If the wife with NO siblings and her husband(another only child) look after their own parents; they would really need a very BIG HDB flat to have so many people living in the same house so as not to abandon their parents (according to GCT finger pointing)

It is Goh Chok Tong and NOT I who has not experienced what an old folks problem is. The Silver Tsunami is going to hit S'pore as we speak and what has the govt been doing? Instead of developing or upgrading/building more nursing homes he WARNS people NOT to send their aging parents to nursing homes (calling it abandonment- he is very good at giving labels and name calling).

What is the alternative; keep them at home to be looked after by inadequately trained foreign maids? What happens when the supply of foreign maids from the region dries up? Not forgetting also that it is also the same PAP govt that is always raising the MAID LEVY to deter use of foreign maids. It is also the PAP who want people to have MORE children, full time working wives who will also look after aged/sick parents at home.

I have experienced firsthand the problem envisaged when my grandfather suffered a stroke and was totally bedridden. He required 24/7 care but refused to go to a proper nursing home. My grandmother was on 24 hours duty tending to his every need/demand at their own house. It was very tough and she suffered a bad fall as a result; ending up in hospital herself. All his children and their wives had full times jobs and could not be at hand to look after him (how many days of leave could they get to stay home and look after him?)

There was only ONE maid left at home; not medically trained whatsoever and she could not be tending to my grandfather's needs 24 hours in a day. Without proper nursing home care, my grandfather choked on his on saliva and died one night in his own house while the exhausted/overworked maid was fast asleep.

The CPF should have been sufficient for retirees to age gracefully with proper nursing home support till their deaths in a fully developed 1st world standard nursing home industry in Singapore by NOW! It is the PAP who has failed the people with their stop at 2 policies and their failed CPF scheme that has resulted in the impending Silver Tsunami.

Instead of providing funding, subsidies to cater to this urgent need. The PAP strangely claims they cannot afford or is miserly in giving real subsidies/funding for this urgent need (welfare) but hardly bats an eyelash over losing BILLIONS in their investments.

GCT's Minister is even calling for people to go to Nursing homes in Johore and he himself fails to understand the constraints of working families with full time jobs who cannot give 24 hour care for their parents in HDB flats.

Last edited:

Man in the streets

Alfrescian
Loyal
well said Kiwibird !

In reality, all bullshit among the PAP baboons, if they are sincere to a first class geriatric care , it is easy than losing 100 billion.

perhaps, lau Goh should work the ground instead of trying to put on act to impress the old monkey.

You are the real brain dead idiot who probably failed English comprehension in school based on your retarded response which shows that you completely do not understand what I have posted.

GOH CHOK TONG doesn't have a clue about GERIATRIC CARE that an aging S'pore population needs. Keeping an aged parent with debilitating degenerative ailments (impaired vision, mobility, hearing, dementia etc) brought on by old age in the care of a maid is NOT FILIAL PIETY or the correct solution.

An old parent left at home with a maid (often overloaded with other general duties) would be most prone to suffer from falls which can cause hip fractures or fatal concussions to the brain depending on how they fall.

Reduced mobility, special nutritional needs, expert nursing care 24/7 can only be provided by a professional nursing home.

Sending old folks to cheap 3rd world standard old folks home in Johore is NOT the solution. Most S'porean's idea including SM Goh Chok Tong of a nursing home is that of a large dormitory of beds filled with old folks with ZERO privacy (C Class ward style) or even worse; those Death houses of SAGO LANE that he probably remembers from his childhood days. GCT should learn what proper nursing homes in 1st world countries can do for their geriatric cases.

Proper funding or subsidies for those with insufficient CPF and upgrading of the nursing homes to professional 1st world standards to give old S'poreans needing them a dignified quality of life in their old age should be the PAP's top priority NOW. Playing on guilt feelings on S'poreans about sending their geriatric parents needing professional attention is totally irresponsible governance on HIS part as an SM. If NZ which has less GDP and lower per capital income can do it why can't S'PORE?

Of course, I don't expect an imbecile like you to understand all of the above. Cos you are only capable of one or two liner knee jerk retarded responses.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
This problem of an aging population is very real.

That is why you do not need rocket science to deduce the reason as to why so many qualified and educated foreigners are "encouraged" to work and settle here as citizens and PRs.

The paramount reason is the extremely low birth rate and the increase in the number of aged Singaporeans coupled with the increase in the number of singles and wretched divorcees here.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How much does the "best" nursing homes cost in Spore :confused:

I'm no nursing home expert but heard about $3,000 per month :eek:

If they only let you take out a few hundred from your own CPF, how to afford :rolleyes: