• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Slip of tongue? Or finally an honest admission by the holy GohCT?

neji

Alfrescian
Loyal
When asked by an undergraduate if the move towards more political openness was done out of "necessity", Mr Goh Chok Tong replied:"Necessity, in a way. Because to be relevant as a government, you must know the aspirations of the people."

:eek::eek::eek:"We can control you, oppress you. But we'd lose you - you'll move elsewhere. So we have to move with the times.":eek::eek::eek:

Source: Straits Times 28th Aug 2008

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Through GCT's speech, I think he is beginning to feel guilty under LHL leadership. At the same time, because LKY is still around, he dared not openly criticise the policies. The best he can do now is to go around the bush, say out his light thought and the rest hoping peasants can read them between the lines.

I remembered he said, in the past, that no matter how unpopular the pap policies were peasants still want to vote for them, typical Singaporean.

Few days ago, he mentioned that the govt should not be afraid of protest if they are clean and uncorrupted.

Now....he admitted the quitters have their reason to leave because they, the pap, has been controlling and oppressing them..

What's next, I hope he comes out to say more as he has been very quiet lately. Something happened internally?

When asked by an undergraduate if the move towards more political openness was done out of "necessity", Mr Goh Chok Tong replied:"Necessity, in a way. Because to be relevant as a government, you must know the aspirations of the people."

:eek::eek::eek:"We can control you, oppress you. But we'd lose you - you'll move elsewhere. So we have to move with the times.":eek::eek::eek:

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal

See ...they are honest politicians.
Neber bother to lie at all.

:p :biggrin: :p

neji

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe he got possessed by the righteous spirit of the late Mr Ong Teng Cheong (BLess his soul, meant no disrespect, just satirizing the situation). :biggrin:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The late Mr Ong Teng Cheong was the DPM under LKY and was one of PAP MPs that control the parliament and form the cabinet.

whenever bad LKY was involved in from the 80s. OTC as part of the regime was also responsible.

can't believe people are thinking he's good just because he grumbled about his presidency powers.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
goh.jpg

My tongue did not slip, just kena tied last time. So dun any how say things! *hee*hee*

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I wonder why they are still in awe with LKY still around. He is so old already. Even if he is young, putting a bullet in his head can settle it. I think the whole sinkie population thinks that they still own him their life. ( through PAP education and brain washing since young?)

But there are some who dun own him anything at all, so they dun give a shit.

At the same time, because LKY is still around, he dared not openly criticise the policies.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore starts to open up and relax some of the rules and restrictions during his period.
So it is not a slip but his truthful thoughts la.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... :eek::eek::eek:"We can control you, oppress you. But we'd lose you - you'll move elsewhere. So we have to move with the times.":eek::eek::eek: ...

ooo... so we're not that different from North Korea after all... 'cept for the fact we can still move elsewhere easily... :biggrin:

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before GCT became PM his favourite was "Let it be me".
Now it is "I will follow him".

Yes it is a slip of tongue that spoke loudly of his mind. Just like "fixing the opposition."

PAP_agent

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP has always believed in openess. Any retard can know that a happy population means more productivity and more taxes! But from our elite insight, we knew that in the beginning, autocracy was the only way to govern singaporeans. They are a crass and self-centred bunch of monkeys. The newer generation is different now - thus the changes.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder why they are still in awe with LKY still around. He is so old already. Even if he is young, putting a bullet in his head can settle it. I think the whole sinkie population thinks that they still own him their life. ( through PAP education and brain washing since young?)

But there are some who dun own him anything at all, so they dun give a shit.

LKY is still holding the respect bcoz of his status.
but
honestly speaking, those born in the 80s and 90s...dun really give a hoot of who he is.

He deserves my respect
but
at the same time, he also need to understand when to let go his power and status.

Dun keep harping on singapore history again...what racial riots, wat msia-spore tensions..how sg get independent.....nation building...blah blah blah.

i will go library to search for history books if i'm interested in it.

:p :o :p

troubledtimes

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY is still holding the respect bcoz of his status.
but
honestly speaking, those born in the 80s and 90s...dun really give a hoot of who he is.

He deserves my respect
but
at the same time, he also need to understand when to let go his power and status.

Dun keep harping on singapore history again...what racial riots, wat msia-spore tensions..how sg get independent.....nation building...blah blah blah.

i will go library to search for history books if i'm interested in it.

:p :o :p

If we keep on harping on the past , well never move to the future. Look at Isrieal and the Gaza strip. The quarrel was about 2000 years old and they are still fighting over it!

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... If we keep on harping on the past , well never move to the future ...

pardon me, but this sounds like the classic phrase from the MIW... Let's Move On! :biggrin:

but yeah, you're right, sometimes we really should move on... :p

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore starts to open up and relax some of the rules and restrictions during his period.
So it is not a slip but his truthful thoughts la.

SDP has successfully pressured the PAP govt to open up a bit more and relax some of the restrictions.

Keep it up, SDP!