• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Sinkies 'Band of Brothers' Set To Be A Blockbuster! Once Armour, Always Armour!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
bp_abtm_101117_97.jpg

SxQgWQml.jpg

dd7a9d3c85dc999c87b04d60d13784f6

SINGAPORE - This is the fourth time that the Ah Boys are appearing on the big screen, but Singapore audiences are clearly not bored of them yet.

Ah Boys To Men 4, the latest instalment in Jack Neo's hit film franchise, took in $310,000 on its opening day on Thursday ( Nov 9), which is about 30 per cent more than how much the very first film, Ah Boys To Men, had earned in November 2012.

The other two films in the series earned more on their respective opening days - the second movie took in $380,000 while the third earned $616,000 - but these were released over the Chinese New Year period, which traditionally sees higher movie ticket sales.

Neo, 57, said in a press statement: "We are very pleased that the Ah Boys To Men franchise is still loved by many Singaporeans.

"We have been through many setbacks and hardships making this sequel. I cannot be more grateful that the movie is still popular and I just hope that people will continue to support Ah Boys To Men 4."

Going by how well the new film did on opening day, distributor Golden Village Pictures believes that the film will cross the $2 million mark this weekend to become the biggest opening weekend for an Asian movie title this year.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifesty...ys-to-men-4-opens-big-at-the-local-box-office

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can see pubic hair spilling out of her bottom too. sloppy fat bitch didn't have the professional courtesy to wax before a bikini shoot

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sg.style.yahoo.com/no-surprise-ah-boys-men-065834496.html

When Singapore-Hong Kong actress Apple Chan was revealed to be the female lead of Ah Boys to Men 4, the Internet exploded with comments ranging from the contentious to the derogatory.

Having an attractive female soldier in the role of a military commander almost immediately triggered the sexists, the chauvinists and the ignorant who lurked on social media with their bigotry.

Now that I’ve actually watched Ah Boys to Men 4, I’m convinced that some of that Internet bile rubbed off on director Jack Neo and whoever else scripted the film.

The film is not just an insult to Singapore-made films – it is a sexist, childish mess that lurches incoherently from one plot point to another. Spoilers below, though I hope you read on so you decide to skip the film altogether.

Ah Boys to Men 4 sees the characters from the previous three Ah Boys to Men films serving their high-key In-Camp Training (ICT) in an armoured reservist unit. It’s this platoon’s fourth ICT and the soldiers are restless, complacent and rebellious.

They accidentally injure their commander after a training snafu, and are openly derisive towards their new commander, LTA Zhang Xinyi, played by the aforementioned Chan.

Apple Chan can beat an insubordinate soldier into submission, but she still can't save Ah Boys to Men 4 from becoming a trainwreck.

Much like the actress did in real life, LTA Zhang has to endure sexist remarks from the men around her. She plays it cool at first, but after I P Man (Noel Yap) challenges her to a fight, she follows through and actually wallops him in a MMA gym when they are both off duty.

Never mind that the officer showed her toughness. It begs the question: is a commander who has to physically beat his or her charges to earn their respect a worthy one?

Maybe it looks cool, sexy even, to see an attractive woman deal some physical punishment to a guy, but the truth of the matter is military commanders do not get a free pass when it comes to assault on their men. Even outside of camp.

This scene is just one of many in the movie that simply stun and befuddle. Throughout the screening, I constantly asked myself how a bunch of males who are almost 30 could act exactly like the impulsive and immature recruits that they were in the first Ah Boys to Men film from five years ago.

It’s not just the infantile acting that is appalling. The writers seem to be stuck in the ‘90s, back when Singaporeans would still lap up Jack Neo’s brand of slapstick humour.

Valuable screen time is wasted on jokes that go nowhere, such as I P Man’s constant changing of his hair colour and inopportune farts from Aloysius (Maxi Lim). “Lobang King” (Wang Wei Liang) even has to break the fourth wall and remind (or perhaps implore) the audience that it is okay to laugh at a joke that just happened.

I appreciated the hint. There was only one problem – I didn’t find the joke the least bit funny.

Oddly, the characters also persistently reference running jokes from the previous Ah Boys to Men instalments even though this movie is obviously not in continuity.

A major part of the plot concerns LTA Zhang’s unorthodox way of disciplining her charges. Instead of a fine or confinement, she instructs delinquents to write 2,500 lines promising to repent for their offence.

The soldiers protest at the childishness of the punishment. LTA Zhang retorts that they deserve such a punishment since they behaved like children.

This is the crux of Ah Boys to Men 4’s failure.

adac3fdd9a4f00297424f2bae5bb0713

Three sequels later, the boys have yet to transform into grown men and continue to behave like teenagers.

In the first instalment, one of the recruits Ken Chow (Joshua Tan) constantly threw petulant tantrums during training, while his goody-two-shoes mate Aloysius sucked up to his commanders and lost the trust of his platoon mates. In one preposterous scene, the soldiers in-training even threw excrement at their enemies.