• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Sinkie Doing Stupid Things Like Cycling Across Europe Instead Of Getting A Stable Job! Clothes Stolen While Cycling In France! Guess If He Cycled Nude

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1672103079583.png

SINGAPORE: After completing multiple long-distance cycling trips and triathlons around the world, Mr Lawrence Loh found himself sweating for another reason altogether – the COVID-19 pandemic.

Years of being a sportsman and retailer merchandiser went out of the window when global travel restrictions kicked in.

Instead of putting on his bike helmet, Mr Loh began strapping on an N95 mask for his new job as a swabber. He also swapped his cycling jersey and tights for a full-body protective gown, two layers of gloves and a face shield.

The protective gear made him sweat from his head all the way to his feet, the 37-year-old said during an interview with CNA earlier this month.

But two years of being at the frontline of the pandemic was more than enough for the avid outdoorsman. When the land borders to Malaysia reopened in April, Mr Loh decided to quit his job and return to cycling under the open skies.

A few months later, his adventures landed him in the Singapore Book of Records.

He is now the record-holder of the longest solo unsupported bicycle ride across Europe completed by a Singaporean. He was also the only Asian among 20 cyclists to finish the 7,400-km North Cape-Tarifa bicycle race – the longest one in the world.

There is no time limit or prize money for the race, which begins from the northernmost tip of Europe – North Cape in Norway – and ends at the southernmost point, the town of Tarifa in Spain.

What participants get is a vast sense of achievement and bragging rights.

Mr Loh himself took about three months from Jun 20 to Sep 29 to complete the ride, crossing 15 countries on a 25kg bike that he built himself with the help of a friend.

But before heading to Europe, he had to get used to cycling extremely long distances again after not doing so for two years.

BUILT UP STRENGTH, EXPERIENCE
Mr Loh started out in the sport around 15 years ago, sticking to park connector networks in Singapore. He initially found it difficult to even complete a round of 100km to 140km around Singapore.

“At first, I had to do it alone because my friends were too fast and I found it very hard to keep up. Even riding 100km was tough for me,” he said somewhat sheepishly.

With time and experience, Mr Loh’s stamina improved and he took up mountain biking. He then participated in his first Ironman triathlon held in Langkawi, Malaysia in 2008.

Two years later, he cycled from Singapore all the way to Hong Kong. His initial destination was Russia, but he confessed to being too tired to go further.

Over the next decade, Mr Loh made it a point to participate in at least one long-distance ride or race annually. He was happiest with the wind blowing in his helmet-covered hair and being on two wheels, he said.

1672102790446.png

Usually, he would not tell his loved ones what he was doing until he was set to leave Singapore at Changi Airport. This was a premeditated move to avoid demeaning remarks from loved ones.

Just before his Singapore-Hong Kong trip, he quit his job as a lifeguard. When his parents and some friends heard about this, they asked him things like why he quit his job to cycle and why he did not want to have a stable income.

He told CNA: “I don’t want to have any negative thoughts. I don’t know why in Singapore, people will give a lot of negative comments like, 'Huh, you do these stupid things again?'

“Then when it comes to parents, ‘Why do you do such things? Why you don’t get a girlfriend, get married?’”

WHEN THE PANDEMIC HIT
He held onto this mentality until 2020 when the coronavirus began wreaking havoc throughout the world. He was working in retail merchandising at this point – a sector that was badly hit by the fall in tourism.

This prompted him to switch industries. He had seen a Ministry of Health advertisement seeking COVID-19 swabbers and wanted to do his part for the nation.

He was first stationed at foreign worker dormitories, where COVID-19 cases hit 10,000 a day at their peak. He then moved to swabbing travellers at hotels, before going to hospitals to perform regular checks on doctors and nurses there.

The personal protection equipment that he donned on a daily basis, as well as his surroundings, “became depressing”. “I grew sick of my job and tired of my life,” he lamented.

In April, he decided to throw caution to the wind once more and quit his job. He had been looking for long-distance rides and came across the North Cape-Tarifa race, which was more challenging than anything he had ever done.

That sealed the deal for him.

After signing up for it, he began training in earnest. He rode from his Woodlands home to Malacca and back, and trained for steep climbs at places like Mount Faber.

“But no matter how much you prepare, things will still go wrong,” he said in a somber tone. “You’ll still fall sick and run into problems you didn’t anticipate.”

1672102815910.png

Mr Lawrence Loh in the Austria city of Bregenz, where the second checkpoint of the race was. (Photo: Lawrence Loh)

UNEXPECTED CUISINE, WEATHER
Ultimately, it was not the long distance that bothered him, he said. It was the 80,000m elevation climb, along with the initial lack of decent food options and erratic weather.

During the first month, Mr Loh traversed mostly rural areas in Norway, Finland and Estonia – among other countries – where he rarely saw other people, let alone eateries or restaurants. He subsided mostly on bread and other carbohydrate-heavy foods like pizza.

After three weeks of this, he vomited and fell ill. He was not used to the food and was burning a lot of energy cycling at least 100km a day.

“I couldn’t get rice at all!” he lamented. “For Europeans, it wasn’t an issue, but it was something I never expected.”

It was only when he got to the Czech Republic, almost halfway through the ride, that he managed to find rice and noodles. He ended up losing 5kg.

It was also difficult to find shower facilities and he once went four days without taking a shower. In Finland, he developed a skin infection stemming from insect bites because he usually slept outdoors overnight, such as at gardens or even cemeteries.

On occasions like this, he would find a hotel room to wash up and clean his inflatable bed and pillow. Aside from that, he carried just two sets of clothes and medication along with his water bottles.

While camping outside a condominium complex in France one evening, he woke up only to discover his clothes had been stolen. He managed to secure new ones at a familiar retailer – a Decathlon outlet.

His bicycle tyres also sustained punctures several times, forcing him to head to bicycle shops and get his trusty companion fixed with the help of Google Translat

1672102845926.png

Where Mr Lawrence Loh's clothes got stolen while he slept outside a residential complex in France. (Photo: Lawrence Loh)

The extreme changes in weather also caused some issues. Over the duration of his trip, the temperatures ranged from single digits to a whopping 45 degrees Celsius during an unprecedented heatwave in Europe.

On a single day in Poland, he experienced temperatures between 15 degrees Celsius and more than 30 degrees Celsius. When it got too cold, he knocked on strangers’ doors or sometimes received invitations from others to stay at their homes.

Participants are tracked through a satellite GPS system. Members of the public, usually other cyclists, could see where they were on the race website.

When asked what the scariest part of the race was, Mr Loh immediately pointed to Pico de Veleta, the third highest peak in mainland Spain. It is also the highest paved road in Europe at nearly 3,400m above sea level.

The 2,600m elevation gain was the steepest climb that Mr Loh completed. To make matters worse, the weather forecast was initially fair, but he was soon plunged into almost-zero visibility and temperatures as low as 1 degree Celsius.

A hailstorm also struck as he ascended the mountain, leaving him unable to locate the checkpoint.

“I nearly died there,” he added. “What kept me going was the will to just go on. Giving up the race or being disqualified was never in my options.”

His efforts paid off when he eventually found the checkpoint and hightailed it back down the mountain. About a day later, he finally made it to the coastal town of Tarifa, cementing his spot in the Singapore Book of Records.

The extreme changes in weather also caused some issues. Over the duration of his trip, the temperatures ranged from single digits to a whopping 45 degrees Celsius during an unprecedented heatwave in Europe.

On a single day in Poland, he experienced temperatures between 15 degrees Celsius and more than 30 degrees Celsius. When it got too cold, he knocked on strangers’ doors or sometimes received invitations from others to stay at their homes.

Participants are tracked through a satellite GPS system. Members of the public, usually other cyclists, could see where they were on the race website.

When asked what the scariest part of the race was, Mr Loh immediately pointed to Pico de Veleta, the third highest peak in mainland Spain. It is also the highest paved road in Europe at nearly 3,400m above sea level.

The 2,600m elevation gain was the steepest climb that Mr Loh completed. To make matters worse, the weather forecast was initially fair, but he was soon plunged into almost-zero visibility and temperatures as low as 1 degree Celsius.

A hailstorm also struck as he ascended the mountain, leaving him unable to locate the checkpoint.

“I nearly died there,” he added. “What kept me going was the will to just go on. Giving up the race or being disqualified was never in my options.”

His efforts paid off when he eventually found the checkpoint and hightailed it back down the mountain. About a day later, he finally made it to the coastal town of Tarifa, cementing his spot in the Singapore Book of Records.

1672102894486.png

Mr Lawrence Loh at the Pico del Veleta peak in Spain. (Photo: Lawrence Loh)

Despite the challenges, Mr Loh said that he did not regret his decision at all. Among the highlights of his trip, he got to see “the most beautiful sight” – the Swiss Alps – and made many new friends with whom he keeps in contact through social media.

“If anything happened to me, it was my choice. I’m glad I climbed that mountain. In this ride, I’ve seen a lot of things, experienced a lot of things that other people never experienced before.”

As for his next big endeavour, he wants to ride around the world and hopes to set another Singapore record. He also plans to return to healthcare.

But one thing is for sure: He will continue ignoring naysayers on his quest to cycle everywhere.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/cyclist-lawrence-loh-solo-record-europe-3154601

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he didn't cheat his achievement and determination is far exceeded any saf commandos.
My uncle wonder how he manage to charge his GPS gadgets ?

Last edited:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
WHEN THE PANDEMIC HIT
He held onto this mentality until 2020 when the coronavirus began wreaking havoc throughout the world. He was working in retail merchandising at this point – a sector that was badly hit by the fall in tourism.

This prompted him to switch industries. He had seen a Ministry of Health advertisement seeking COVID-19 swabbers and wanted to do his part for the nation.

He was first stationed at foreign worker dormitories, where COVID-19 cases hit 10,000 a day at their peak. He then moved to swabbing travellers at hotels, before going to hospitals to perform regular checks on doctors and nurses there.
Many useless fucks who can't get decent jobs and have to settle for being swabbers are portraying themselves as some noble save the world type. If he was really that passionate about saving people, wouldn't he get a cert or Diploma in nursing and continue?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many useless fucks who can't get decent jobs and have to settle for being swabbers are portraying themselves as some noble save the world type. If he was really that passionate about saving people, wouldn't he get a cert or Diploma in nursing and continue?

You don't need a diploma in nursing to save people. You can always save people by becoming a missionary or serving in your HDB block's RC.

Singapore Dancing Spirit

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOE of Singapore should be proud of its policies and the politics
1. This guy is single with no girlfriend (Gays don't deal with girls anyway)
2. No Educaton after NS as he strayed away from society
3. He was mugged but he did not tell that he was raped when his clothing was stolen.
3. He is now 37 and working odd jobs already and he will feel the pinch when he reaches 60
4. His life will be desolate empty at old age
4. Not only him, but several Singaporeans also perish as there is no vision for MOE to bring up the society

MOE will be a bottleneck if we wanna plan for a Meritocratic society

Eisenhut

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOE of Singapore should be proud of its policies and the politics
1. This guy is single with no girlfriend (Gays don't deal with girls anyway)
2. No Educaton after NS as he strayed away from society
3. He was mugged but he did not tell that he was raped when his clothing was stolen.
3. He is now 37 and working odd jobs already and he will feel the pinch when he reaches 60
4. His life will be desolate empty at old age
4. Not only him, but several Singaporeans also perish as there is no vision for MOE to bring up the society

MOE will be a bottleneck if we wanna plan for a Meritocratic society

He is rich man son. That bicycle is not cheap..chao chao 30k

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lucky he never come up with some hair brain idea of doing it for charity and asking for sponsors to fund his adventure like this fucker....

Singaporean cycles from China for Charity​

Mr Lim Wee Yin, 57, will be making the cross-country journey from Guizhou over about 50 days, travelling mostly by himself. He did a similar fund-raising trip in 2004 with a friend, cycling 10,000km in 100 days. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND LIM

Mr Lim Wee Yin, 57, will be making the cross-country journey from Guizhou over about 50 days, travelling mostly by himself. He did a similar fund-raising trip in 2004 with a friend, cycling 10,000km in 100 days. — ST PHOTO: DESMOND LIM
The Straits Times, 18 February 2013 by Lim Yi Han

HE CYCLES 30km to work and back home every day, just as he has done for nearly a decade. Now, he aims to cycle 5,000km from China to Singapore to raise funds for the sick.

China-based Singaporean Lim Wee Yin, 57, will be cycling in April from Guizhou in China to Singapore for Assisi Hospice. The hospice takes care of adults and children with life-limiting illnesses.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
How does this cycling for charity work? Cycling all by himself and people donate to charity due to that?

I’m taking a dump in the toilet. Anyone care to donate to SPCA for my efforts?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
View attachment 173779

SINGAPORE: After completing multiple long-distance cycling trips and triathlons around the world, Mr Lawrence Loh found himself sweating for another reason altogether – the COVID-19 pandemic.

Years of being a sportsman and retailer merchandiser went out of the window when global travel restrictions kicked in.

Instead of putting on his bike helmet, Mr Loh began strapping on an N95 mask for his new job as a swabber. He also swapped his cycling jersey and tights for a full-body protective gown, two layers of gloves and a face shield.

The protective gear made him sweat from his head all the way to his feet, the 37-year-old said during an interview with CNA earlier this month.

But two years of being at the frontline of the pandemic was more than enough for the avid outdoorsman. When the land borders to Malaysia reopened in April, Mr Loh decided to quit his job and return to cycling under the open skies.
Their father very rich, milking tax monies and joined the papaya cronism club, so that their own children can eat "air" and don't have to work. Once you vote PAPpaya out of power, all these good-for-nothing children will return to their grinding mill in society to face hardship in life.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
How does this cycling for charity work? Cycling all by himself and people donate to charity due to that?

I’m taking a dump in the toilet. Anyone care to donate to SPCA for my efforts?
If he post his journey on youtube, he gets paid based on viewership.lots of travellers doing it. Its lucrative enough.
But so far, nobidy posted climbing on mount everest. Maybe equipment or batteries incapable. So no need to climb mountain to experience the thrill.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
During the height of Covid-19, our front liners only received claps from residents from HDB blocks; it's impossible to fill the nurses' empty tummies with just claps. LOL!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In other words, he's a patriotic gongkia who perpetuated the scamdemic. :rolleyes:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If he post his journey on youtube, he gets paid based on viewership.lots of travellers doing it. Its lucrative enough.
But so far, nobidy posted climbing on mount everest. Maybe equipment or batteries incapable. So no need to climb mountain to experience the thrill.
have lah. gopro awards video.