• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie Catholic nun with a taekwondo black belt

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore celebrates its 48th birthday on Aug 9, and to tie in with this, The Straits Times Photo Desk has put together 48 Singaporean Seconds, an audio-visual tribute to Singaporeans who have made this little red dot their home.

We are releasing their stories and videos in the next few weeks. In the 18th instalment of our series, we talk to Sister Linda Sim.

Linda Sim, 58, mission awareness coordinator

When Sister Linda Sim was growing up, all she wanted to do was serve the nation.

1094675_708682252482580_2031668091_o.jpg

Sister Linda Sim, 58, a Catholic nun who earned a black belt in taekwondo. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND LIM

In the 1970s, she applied to the Singapore Armed Forces to be a front-line soldier, but was told women could take up only clerical positions. The Singapore Police Force also turned her down as she was too petite.

Undeterred, the gutsy woman took up taekwondo and eventually earned a black belt. Then she heard her religious calling.

"If I couldn't serve in the army, then I will serve in God's army," quipped the 58-year-old Franciscan religious sister.

She ran a Catholic hospital in Zimbabwe for three years, and spent 17 years in England as a religious trainee and trainer before coming home in 2004.

She now works as a mission awareness coordinator at the Mount Alvernia Hospital and Assisi Hospice. On weekends, however, she swops her religious robes for a taekwondo dobok.

She teaches martial arts to kids who are in remission from severe illnesses in a class sponsored by the Singapore Taekwondo Federation.

She has also represented Singapore overseas and has won medals at numerous competitions, including a silver medal in the Korea Open International Championships in July.

"I thought I was too old. But I got the chance to represent Singapore and wear the flag on my uniform," she says proudly.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey! I know her. She's one amazing woman. She could have been very successful but chose to be a nun. This is what public service is all about.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All Catholic nuns and priests should be proficient in martial arts
To give those useless assholes in ISD a flying kick in their ass
Should these goons have the temerity to try another Spectrum
There never was any Marxist conspiracy but there sure as Hell
Was an Old Fart who will use a knuckle duster even on a Bishop
Danger lurks when this Old Hack is dying and unpredictable

jw5

Loyal
Hey! I know her. She's one amazing woman. She could have been very successful but chose to be a nun. This is what public service is all about.

Could have been very successful in what field?

If she volunteers as a martial arts instructor to kids in remission from severe illness, she's already very successful in my book.

Much more than errrrr........................toothpick collectors?

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could have been very successful in what field?

If she volunteers as a martial arts instructor to kids in remission from severe illness, she's already very successful in my book.

Much more than errrrr........................toothpick collectors?

Well she's not doing all these for fame or money, that's I know!