• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie Bitch lost control of car in Phuket, injured other Sinkies in a tour coach and ownself die.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
My uncle watched many road trips youtube vlogs phuket roads mostlee are motorsikal look like a pretty safe place to ride . Yet still have bobo car drivers KNN
In fact my uncle been to phuket with a Thai bangcock gf noticed most of the roads are motorsikal more than cars KNN perhaps he did not travelled far enough within the island to see the dangerous road KNN

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
In fact my uncle been to phuket with a Thai bangcock gf noticed most of the roads are motorsikal more than cars KNN perhaps he did not travelled far enough within the island to see the dangerous road KNN
She was on the downslope with 5 adults in the car. That is easily another 300 kg on a 1.0 L eco car. There was no gear to control and she had to step on the brakes intermittently. I suspect she must have lost concentration while talking to the passengers.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
She was on the downslope with 5 adults in the car. That is easily another 300 kg on a 1.0 L eco car. There was no gear to control and she had to step on the brakes intermittently. I suspect she must have lost concentration while talking to the passengers.
Did leeport state was it auto or manual car? What they mean no gear control ? You mean on neutral gear ? Down slope is using engine brake + foot brake leh KNN

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did leeport state was it auto or manual car? What they mean no gear control ? You mean on neutral gear ? Down slope is using engine brake + foot brake leh KNN
All the rented cars are automatic one. So there is no option like manual car for her to push to a lower gear. She had to use foot brake. It's a lot of difference driving a 1.0L eco car by yourself vs 5 in a car.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the rented cars are automatic one. So there is no option for her to push to a lower gear. She had to use foot brake. It's a lot of difference driving a 1.0L eco car by yourself vs 5 in a car.
Seriouslee my uncle doesn't have a full understandings of auto car operations even he had been a driving instructor KNN
He was a manual driver and instructor all the while.
My uncle thought auto cars are all build with auto engine brake once the accelerator is leeleased ? Eg in a up slope carparks my uncle would need to apply half clutch biting points and handbrake while auto gear don't need all this fanciful control?

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriouslee my uncle doesn't have a full understandings of auto car operations even he had been a driving instructor KNN
He was a manual driver and instructor all the while.
My uncle thought auto cars are all build with auto engine brake once the accelerator is leeleased ? Eg in a up slope carparks my uncle would need to apply half clutch biting points and handbrake while auto gear don't need all this fanciful control?
I'm not sure about the engine braking part. I think there are some modes in the gearshift lever for downslope, depending on year of the model. It's an eCO car nevertheless, and rental companies will use the bear minimum model for sure.

This is the latest Toyota Ativ 2023 gearbox:

Screenshot_1.jpg

Last edited:

Peace Maker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, if you can afford to travel overseas & rent a car. Better rent a SUV , the bigger the better. In Thailand, get the Ford Raptor pickup if travel up country. Although Thailand has the highest accidents rate in Asia, most of accidents are due to young kids or drunken guys riding the bikes. For cars mostly due to fallen asleep or being drunk. Their driving skill wise, 100% surpass Singaporeans even though driving license are easily issued. I had witnessed many people driving their own cars without license to the test centers to take the driving test.

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
There're plenty of hilly winding slope roads in Phuket. Some bends along the slopes are very sharp n it'll catch u by surprise. It's quite dangerous @night n worse if you're speeding..
Always drive @lower speed if you're in unfamiliar terrain.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

21-year-old S'porean driver killed, 4 other S'poreans hurt in Phuket after car crashed into tour bus​

PHUKET — A Singaporean woman was killed and seven others, including her four compatriots, injured when a car she was driving hit a small tour bus while coming downhill on a hilly road in Muang district on Friday (Aug 12) night.

The accident was reported around 10.50pm, said Police Captain Charnnarong Prakhongkua, an investigation officer at Karon police station.

Police, disaster prevention and mitigation officials and rescue workers arrived at the scene and found a badly damaged Toyota Yaris with Phuket licence plates and a small white bus with Phuket licence plates and a broken windscreen on Patak Road in Karon.

A preliminary investigation found that the car was travelling from the town of Chalong to Karon. While the car was coming downhill, the driver lost control of her vehicle, causing it to hit the bus, which had earlier taken a group of tourists to Kata beach.

The impact of the crash caused injuries to five Singaporean tourists in the car — aged between 21 and 66 years old — including the driver, as well as the bus driver and two guides from the tour bus.

The injured from both vehicles were rushed to Chalong and Vachira Phuket hospitals.

The 21-year-old Singaporean woman driver was unconscious at the scene and succumbed to her injuries on the way to the hospital.

A police investigation is ongoing to find the exact cause of the crash. BANGKOK POST

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I drove in Thailand for many years including from Bangkok to Chiangrai and to usual tourist spots like Pattaya, Kanchanaburi and Hua Hin ect .
Even as an "expat" there , I will only drive at night within cities like Bangkok , Pattaya, and Chiangmai where the roads are in good condition ,well lighted and with proper traffic control system.
In the rural areas and provinces where I am not familiar , I will not drive at night as there are many small lanes and unmarked roads where traffic can suddenly appear from both sides and generally less lighting and lower visibility makes it risky for unfamiliar people.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I drove in Thailand for many years including from Bangkok to Chiangrai and to usual tourist spots like Pattaya, Kanchanaburi and Hua Hin ect .
Even as an "expat" there , I will only drive at night within cities like Bangkok , Pattaya, and Chiangmai where the roads are in good condition ,well lighted and with proper traffic control system.
In the rural areas and provinces where I am not familiar , I will not drive at night as there are many small lanes and unmarked roads where traffic can suddenly appear from both sides and generally less lighting and lower visibility makes it risky for unfamiliar people.
Are you able to read Thai ?

I have always wondered how Sinkies who cannot read Thai are able to drive in Bangkok. The traffic is so complicated, and one wrong turn into the expressway I don't know where I'm going to end up. Despite taking taxi so many times, I'm still not confident of driving in Bangkok if I'm left alone.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not sure about the engine braking part. I think there are some modes in the gearshift lever for downslope, depending on year of the model. It's an eCO car nevertheless, and rental companies will use the bear minimum model for sure.

This is the latest Toyota Ativ 2023 gearbox:

View attachment 155978
to the right of drive (d) there’s upshift (+) and downshift (-) lah. this auto transmission car allows you to shift knob right to do gear shifting, may be minimal from 1 to 4. not those on bigger sedans or suvs which can be from 1 to 6.9.

in earlier models of the toyota yaris, the auto gear selector control is like this. there are 3 gearshift levels (3d, 2, l) even though it’s auto. cheap auto cars also allow driver to downshift. just no clutch pedal to deal with.
E0F07608-7537-4DBD-95CE-D2108BF0368B.jpeg

Last edited:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have always wondered how Sinkies who cannot read Thai are able to drive in Bangkok. The traffic is so complicated, and one wrong turn into the expressway I don't know where I'm going to end up. Despite taking taxi so many times, I'm still not confident of driving in Bangkok if I'm left alone.
All the main roads have English signages including places such as tourist attractions, airports, railway stations ect2 , so the major cities should be OK even if you cannot read Thai. I find that Thailand is unique in that you can make U turns on major highways , with the u turn as a slip road going over the highway to the other side.
It took me a few months before I can read very basic Thai .
So I did not venture to the rural areas until then and even so I will bring my Thai helper along just in case I get lost

Last edited:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Google maps is your friend.