• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore's 40 richest

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Generally this is just based on listed company holdings wealth, so may not be that accurate. I bet there are other billionaires in Singapore, wealth carefully hidden away in holding companies and off shore companies etc. But I must salute Peter Lim, turning US$10m investment into a US$700m capital gain is solid.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No ministers name on the list? Surely they have accumulated enough millions to be listed? Or they are exempt from declaring their assets?

With the abolishment of the death taxes, we will never, ever know how rich the MPs are. Including the most powerful & probably the richest old man of Spore?:confused:

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The people in this top 40 list have a net worth of at least 9 figures in US$.
My guess is that most of the ministers would be in the 8 figure range.
I didn't see Sim Wong Hoo in the list, where do you think he is ranked?

ministers are salaried workers who have no chance of making this type of money unless they are corrupted

jbsmith

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn't see Sim Wong Hoo in the list, where do you think he is ranked?

Last year he was ranked 40, with a net worth of USD105 million.

Look at the way Creative share price drop- from $10+ (Jan 2007) to $6.10(last closing), his net worth is definitely shrinking. :o

jw5

Loyal
Generally this is just based on listed company holdings wealth, so may not be that accurate. I bet there are other billionaires in Singapore, wealth carefully hidden away in holding companies and off shore companies etc. But I must salute Peter Lim, turning US$10m investment into a US$700m capital gain is solid.
It is not just based on listed company's holdings wealth. I don't think NTF's FEO is a listed organization. But you are right in that the list is based on what is known.
There may be lots of "unknown" rich people, perhaps even a few billionaires.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chemoil chief Robert Chandran dies in copter crash
By Fiona Chan , Nicholas Fang and Yang Huiwen

ST_IMAGES_FIOCHANDRAN-IO4.jpg

GLOBAL PLAYER: India-born Mr Chandran, 57, was one of Singapore's richest men.

ONE of Singapore's richest men, oil industry entrepreneur Robert Viswanathan Chandran, died in a helicopter crash in Indonesia on Monday, aged 57.
He is survived by his wife Vivian, 53, and daughters Sharon, 31, and Ashley, 20.

Indian-born Mr Chandran, a Singapore citizen, amassed personal wealth estimated at US$490 million (S$701 million) after building the world's largest 'petrol station' operator for ships.

Mr Chandran was founder and chief executive of Chemoil Energy, which was listed in Singapore in 2006 and has an annual revenue of about US$4.4 billion.

He grew the business from a two-person firm in 1981 to what is now the biggest independent operator of shipping fuel, or bunker, in the world.

The Mumbai-born businessman had earned an MBA and found a wife in the Philippines, then made his fortune in California. But Singapore was where he chose to make his home.

Mr Chandran moved his family here and gained citizenship in 2005, after watching a National Day Rally speech on TV, where he was struck by the Republic's message of 'Asian values and Western conveniences', according to an interview he gave with The Edge Singapore, a business paper, last year.

His presence here was lauded by Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam in last year's Budget speech. Mr Tharman cited him as an example of global players choosing to sink roots in Singapore.

Mr Chandran's death stunned his family and friends, colleagues, and the wider industry.

Analysts yesterday said it is not clear who will take over the running of Chemoil, of which Mr Chandran owns 50.5 per cent.

Some brokerage houses downgraded the stock, saying its immediate and medium-term prospects were now uncertain.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chandran was 'alive, talking' when pulled from wreck

PEKANBARU (SUMATRA) - SINGAPORE businessman Robert Chandran was alive and talking to rescuers after the helicopter he was in crashed in Sumatra on Monday, eyewitnesses have told The Straits Times.

But he died during the 45-minute drive from the crash site in a rural village to the hospital in Pekanbaru.

He was the only one among the 11 in the ill-fated Indonesian military aircraft who perished.

The India-born Mr Chandran, 57, was founder and chief executive of listed marine fuels supplier Chemoil Energy, and ranked by Forbes magazine as the 14th richest man in Singapore.

He is survived by his wife Vivian, 53, and daughters Sharon, 31, and Ashley, 20.

His body was moved to the Mount Vernon funeral parlour here at 5pm yesterday. His family turned up there about 11/2 hours later.

A private funeral will be held this morning, and a memorial in the late afternoon.

Villagers of Desa Lubuk Ogung near the crash site had a shock when the ageing Indonesian Air Force helicopter came to grief in an oil palm plantation near their homes on a cloudy Tuesday.

Housewife Suratni, 55, who lives 10m from the scene, said in Bahasa: 'It was hovering low, just above the trees, making a deafening sound. I thought it might crash into my house. Then suddenly, boom! It came down.'

More than 20 sarong-clad men rushed to the scene.

Farmer Is Ropel, 30, and his brothers were among the first to get to the fallen craft, a Sikorsky Twin Pack S58T.

He said they were shocked to find several men in it, slumped at one end.

Mr Is said: 'One looked like a Westerner, another an Indian. The others looked like locals. All were alive and moaning. The Indian asked if everyone was OK.'

Mr Chandran was the only Indian on board.

Mr Is' brother, village chief Dam Heri, 49, who said he helped pull Mr Chandran out, said the businessman appeared the least seriously hurt and was talking the most.

Mr Dam added in Bahasa: 'He spoke in English, which I did not understand. I was surprised to find out that he died.'

The injured were ferried to hospital in an ambulance, three cars and a police car.

Besides Mr Chandran, the other civilians were Chemoil vice-president for business development Terence Gidlow and the company's business associates Alexander Taslim, Harino T. Kusumo, Hendri T., Andre Hendrik and Michael. Four Indonesian Air Force crew members were also on board.

It is believed that the helicopter had engine trouble and was trying to land.

When The Straits Times visited the site yesterday, the helicopter's nose was on the ground and its tail in the air. The area was cordoned off by the Indonesian Air Force.

Villagers said chartered planes flying over the area were a common sight, but military aircraft were not.

The Indonesian armed forces said on Tuesday that Mr Chandran and Mr Gidlow had been on a 'joint flight' programme which lets civilians take flights in military aircraft.

A spokesman for the hospital in Pekanbaru said five of the injured had been sent to Singapore for treatment and the Indonesian air force men were recovering.

Meanwhile, Chemoil Energy assured its customers and investors that its operations would carry on, as would operations at its new Helios Terminal on Jurong Island.

Chemoil's Singapore-listed shares dipped to 46.5 US cents shortly after markets opened yesterday before rallying to close half a US cent higher at 48.5 US cents. It hit 50 US cents during the day.

N

norris

I wonder how Forbes does their ranking. I got an issue but it seems that they go through lotsa research to do this list. Most chiam is those that hiding under the radar long time then kanna expose now... siam tax ah.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
No ministers name on the list? Surely they have accumulated enough millions to be listed? Or they are exempt from declaring their assets?
different category, those in the list r non political ppl. they're ppl from secular industry who made their mark by some means of their own.

maybe can try searching on forbes for ministers names.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
familee that own temasek holding was not inside. is it because they siam income tax? so not recorded?