• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans want to Emigrate... why har???

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many Singaporeans want to migrate – Why?
Posted by Shihan on February 10, 2010467 Comments
Leong Sze Hian

I refer to the article “Singapore envies Kiwi lifestyle” (New Zealand Herald, Feb 9).
It states that

“The bait was better working hours, cheaper cars and housing – and in three weeks thousands from Singapore have registered their interest in living in New Zealand.
An Immigration New Zealand pilot project aimed at attracting Singaporean migrants has resulted in over 1000 registrations each week since it was launched last month, with 3565 potential immigrants having registered their interest in just three weeks”.

According to another article “Survey finds that workers in Singapore put in longest hours” (The China Post, Jan 12),
“Singapore’s workers continue to lead the pack when it comes to the number of hours they put in at work, according to a report by the International Labor Organization (ILO). The report puts them at the top of 13 economies in the group’s Global Wages Report for 2008-09, surpassing even the notoriously hardworking Japanese and Taiwanese”.
Singaporeans are among the hardest workers in the world, but do not have enough, upon retirement, to live in comfort in their home country. Is there any wonder why they should choose to migrate to other places that are much more affordable?

Cars for example, are so expensive in Singapore that a car owner may end up with $2 million less in retirement. This is calculated from an estimated cost of $1,000 monthly compounded at 6 per cent over 40 years.
To explain the poverty of retired Singaporeans, we’d have to explore the possible link between the 2 largest entities that effectively ‘lock up’ the wages of Singaporeans – HDB and CPF.
Increasing flat prices decrease the amount of CPF upon retirement

In line with the government’s policy of letting Singaporeans use their flats for asset enhancement, many Singaporeans have bought their flat, using the bulk of their CPF in a typical 30-year mortgage, in hope that the continued increase in property prices would serve as a boon during retirement.

By pricing flats under ‘market subsidy’ pricing, asset ‘enhancement’ schemes such as upgrading inevitably become a burden to Singaporeans who have no choice but to use even more of the CPF for their upgraded HDB flat. In addition to that, HDB has never disclosed the cost of building flats. Thus, flat pricing, and the amount of CPF ‘locked’ in it, is really at the whim of property speculation.
With 80 per cent of the population living in public housing, and with a bulk of a typical homeowner’s CPF savings ‘locked’ by the flat, social security for the average Singaporean is contingent on HDB policies. When you can’t pay your mortgage, you may lose your home and maybe your life CPF savings too.
Consequently, with the bulk of their CPF ‘locked’ in unliquidated assets, many Singaporeans end up with very little CPF when they retire.

CPF gets transferred out of Singaporeans’ hands, into HDB’s pockets

When the HDB sends a notice of Compulsory Acquisition to flat owners, 90 per cent of the flat’s valuation is used to offset the loan arrears; HDB makes a profit of 10 per cent of the valuation. While it is understandable that HDB as a statutory board has to run on a sustainable business model, it seems counterintuitive that a public housing board should profit from the destitution of its citizens.
For example, flat owners in addition to losing 10 per cent of their flat valuation to HDB, are only given one month to vacate their flats. Why does the HDB not give them a bit more time to find alternative accommodation?
As a public housing authority with the mission to provide affordable housing for Singaporeans, is the HDB not in a sense, in breach of its fiduciary duty, in this arbitrary practice of ‘pinching’ 10 per cent of the valuation?
Are there any public housing authorities in the world that takes an additional 10 per cent profit on foreclosure?
Parliamentarians may like to raise this issue with a view to refunding the ‘pinched’ valuation to all past foreclosed flat owners.
Why it’s almost impossible to get enough cash upon retirement
Effective last year, if you sell your HDB flat after age 55 to downgrade to a smaller flat and to monetise your flat for retirement, any CPF utilised plus accrued interest has to be returned to the CPF account if the CPF Minimum Sum (MS) has not been met.
With the current MS at $117,000, what this policy change means is that this sum cannot be used to purchase the smaller flat downgrade.

Why are we making it harder for Singaporeans to downgrade to monetise their flat for retirement?

Many Singaporeans subscribed to the call for asset enhancement by purchasing HDB flats – only to be hit by the policy change now, which in effect, may result in their inability to cash out of their “enhanced” HDB asset.
The CPF Minimun Sum (MS) was raised from July 1, 2009, for those aged 55 years, to $117,000, up from $106,000. 

This is an increase of 10.4 per cent, much more than the inflation rate for the previous year, which was 6.5 per cent. How can the increase in MS be “an adjustment for inflation, is to ensure that Singaporeans set aside sufficient savings for their retirement?”
Similarly, the MS was increased by 6.4 per cent in July 2008, from $99,600 to $106,000, when inflation was only 2.1 per cent in 2007.
With the current recession, some of those reaching age 55, may have lost their jobs or failed in their businesses, and thus a large increase in the MS, may cause some financial stress to them. 

As last year’s increase is the highest in the history of the MS scheme, at its current quantum of increase, does it mean that by 2013, the MS may be about $161,000 ($117,000 now plus $11,000 increase for 4 years)?
Can anyone afford to retire in Singapore in future?

The Longevity Insurance Committee’s (LIC) CPF Life report last year only projected a MS of $134,000 in 2013 (chapter 4). 

Adding the projected Medisave Required Amount (MRA) of $36,000 in 2013, does it mean that those reaching age 55 may only be able to withdraw $5,000, if they have less than $197,000 (MS $161,000 plus MRA $36,000) in their CPF? 

How many Singaporeans will have more than $197,000 in their CPF in 2013?
The answer can be found in the LIC report: only 60 per cent are projected to have at least $67,000 in their CPF in 2013.
At the current rate of increase of $15,500 per year ($11,000 MS + $4,500 MRA), will the combined MS and MRA be $352,000 and $507,000 in 2023 and 2033 respectively?

In conclusion, is it any wonder why so many Singaporeans may be thinking about migrating to New Zealand?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
http://www.transitioning.org/2010/07/22/singaporean-prefers-australia-after-migrating-20-years-ago/

another personal view - the thing is i really like what he says and it is nothing but the total truth.

Sorry, but I disagree with Kathi-lyn. Like this 14-yr-old boy, I feel the same.

That’s why I made the decision 20 yrs ago to migrate. Life in Australia is totally different from Singapore.

The Government really looks after its own citizens despite taking in refugees every year. They don’t have money-faced politicians and the opposition in parliament are not afraid to question any dubious acts passed.

Likewise the media there is constantly looking to dig up any attempt at coverups to give maximum exposure.

Although the country is rich in minerals, they don’t fritter away their reserves as they are answerable in parliament.

As for medical attention, they have world-class facilities which are available to rich or poor.

Being a retiree, everything from bus fares to hospital care is subsidised. There is no need for the jobless to collect cans from the rubbish, sell tissues or fold cardboards to make a living.

The elderly here retires with their dignity intact. Although there are sporadic acts of racism, these are short-lived.

Being a minority, I’ve experienced worse in Singapore ! I really feel sorry for those in Singapore who don’t have the choice to move out from Singapore, what with it’s oppressive environment where the ordinary Joe is treated like dirt.

Where the politicians behave so arrogantly knowing full well that nobody can shake them from their iron rice bowl. Where they denigrate the very citizens who voted them in with names like “daft”. Where when they made serious mistakes, they do not take responsibility despite being paid million-$ market-rate salaries and are not required to step down eg. LKY, HC, WKS, etc.

I wish this intelligent 14-yr-old all the best and hope he makes it to the other side!
God Bless Singapore.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Australia Australia.. the Almighty , powerful Australia.. Bringing all the PAP to their Kneesss...... Wahahhah!!!!

Australia is so big and it can housed all Singaporeans at once...leaving all the FT with the PAP... wahahhahahahhah

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi,
My family and I migrated to Melbourne in Dec last year. Have never
regretted the move and in fact, looking forward to become Australian
citizen in 2005.

There is a big Singaporean community ( be it Chinese, Malay or Indian
ethnicity) in Australia. Where I am right now, we know quite a number of
Singaporeans who have migrated and also know of some that are emigrating
here. So, you are not alone here.

Anyway, Australians (soon, that term 'Australian' would include me :-))
are very friendly and helpful. I am sure you will get to know your
neighbour and they will surely help you feel at home. Trust me on this one.

Regards,
Sanif

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i have never felt sooo good before while posting in this forum.. should have done this a long time ago...

talkincock

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yup. Including you the loser and failure. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Tonychat comes from the old forum and those who have been in both just as long will remember his numerous attempts to get into OZ. I like the way he started his thread where he indicates that you invited him to consider migrating to OZ giving the impression that it's his first consideration.

Just as his futile attempt to remain in Thailand, this will be a long drama yet to be played. I remember his last attempt when a migration agent started a thread and Tony was all over him. He obviously landed in OZ having discovered that Burger King is called Hungry Jacks. He probably discover that unless you are an asylum seeker, you cannot apply for PR while remaining in the country.

Let's all pretend that he has no idea what all visa requirements and that recycling has 2 parts. There is the part that requires lots of capital because you need large land, equipment and vehicles and the second is what we refer to as Karang Guni.

Let's watch this journey. It might help revive the emigration folder.