• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore welcomes West Aussie talent, passion

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
March 12, 2015

Wealthy investors in Singapore have welcomed West Australians' creativity and work ethic as the island nation continues to secure its place as an international business hub.
Expatriates say cashed-up businesspeople in Asia are keen to support Australians eager to make their mark in Singapore. In return, the investors' financial backing and clout help open more doors in the "business-friendly" city-state.
The country is fast becoming a favourite destination for WA's expat community and the changing face of modern Singapore includes a burgeoning food and beverage scene that has attracted West Australians ranging from coffee experts to ice-cream producers and top-notch chefs.
On a recent trip to Singapore, one of the strangest conversations in a taxi about the history of the country's sex industry was launched by the address given to the driver for Burnt Ends, a restaurant on Teck Lim Road run by Perth ex-pat chef Dave Pynt.
Part of the red-light district in Chinatown, the area has undergone a massive makeover as brothels have made way for trendy bars and restaurants and boutique hotels.
Pynt, who has worked in international restaurants including in London and Copenhagen, moved to Singapore two years ago after business partners approached him to open a "barbecue place", which has been a huge success.
Burnt Ends took out one of the coveted places in the prestigious Asia's 50 Best Restaurants list this week, coming in at number 30.

"Singapore's a gateway city with millions of residents plus a lot of travellers and businesspeople coming through," Pynt said.
"It's one of the places where there's a thriving F&B scene so there are a lot of young people with great ideas moving here.
"But you can't afford to rest on your laurels."

Perth-born brothers Christian and Julian Tan contributed to the transformation of Sentosa Island with Tanjong Beach Club - acombination of restaurant, bar and "urban escape".The concept of Tanjong - just one of the Tans' hugely popular establishments - has proved a hit with locals and expats alike.
"There are a lot of opportunities here, especially in F&B," Christian said.
"You have to be business savvy, but you also have to have passion for what you're doing.
"We operate a hands-on business, so it's not uncommon to see us working alongside our staff and having fun."
The hospitality industry may well be thriving, but staffing - what the Tan brothers describe as a small pool of labour - can be problematic.
WA expat Harry Grover, 34, from 40 Hands Coffee and Common Man Coffee Roasters, said business was good but finding staff was an issue.
"My cafes have never slowed down because of a new generation of coffee devotees in Singapore," Grover said.
"They are more educated, savvy and discerning customers who appreciate specialty coffee.
"But F&B gets harder every quarter mostly because of labour.
"I've had stability and success because I've been able to tap into a foreign labour quota because of my business partners."

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore got no talent ?

http://therealsingapore.com/content/prc-singaporeans-are-really-stupid

You only need to tell the Singapore tourists that De Sheng Gate is a museum, and is run by the government, that’s all. They would fork out lots of money to shop. However, those from Taiwan and Hong Kong are not as easily fooled.

One might wonder how Singaporeans can be cheated so easily. The answer is simple. Firstly, Lee Kuan Yew meddles with everything in the lives of Singaporeans, everything is put in perfect order, hence there is no need for the people to use their brains, just follow Lee Kuan Yew’s instructions will do.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These angmo F&B business exist only because of the foreigners here.

Get rid of the core group of foreigners ...a few hundred thousands will disappear together with it.

It is ridiculous to have 24-year old oil rig technician coming here to be a foreign talent displacing experienced local talent.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also well well the cum those rednecks n blonde talent to b maids or mates at Geylang. Many many cum.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been thinking about this question a lot since arriving here. I keep seeing and finding former "Malaysian-born" aussies making the headlines here instead of Singaporean. Kamahl, Penny Wong, Adam Liew, GUy Sebastian, Helena Carr, and even TPG, David Teoh, recently. What is it that makes Malaysian so successful here but not Singaporean? UMNO discriminatory policy encourage their own citizens to be real foreign talents? While Singapore's pro-FT policy makes Singaporean complacent?

Singapore got no talent ?

http://therealsingapore.com/content/prc-singaporeans-are-really-stupid

You only need to tell the Singapore tourists that De Sheng Gate is a museum, and is run by the government, that’s all. They would fork out lots of money to shop. However, those from Taiwan and Hong Kong are not as easily fooled.

One might wonder how Singaporeans can be cheated so easily. The answer is simple. Firstly, Lee Kuan Yew meddles with everything in the lives of Singaporeans, everything is put in perfect order, hence there is no need for the people to use their brains, just follow Lee Kuan Yew’s instructions will do.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been thinking about this question a lot since arriving here. I keep seeing and finding former "Malaysian-born" aussies making the headlines here instead of Singaporean. Kamahl, Penny Wong, Adam Liew, GUy Sebastian, Helena Carr, and even TPG, David Teoh, recently. What is it that makes Malaysian so successful here but not Singaporean? UMNO discriminatory policy encourage their own citizens to be real foreign talents? While Singapore's pro-FT policy makes Singaporean complacent?

Got many more Malaysians making a name in Aussie in mining and real estate. And many Malaysian developers following the migratory pattern to build homes and apartments, mostly in Melbourne.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got many more Malaysians making a name in Aussie in mining and real estate. And many Malaysian developers following the migratory pattern to build homes and apartments, mostly in Melbourne.

Indeed, the list I made is just tip of the iceberg, I don't remember seeing any "Singapore-born" aussies in the media here.

Alfrescian
Loyal

born and bred sinkies will never change wherever they go to......they will want to have the best of everything BUT don't have the drive to work for it but expect to have it dropped off at their door.....the oversea-2nd gen sinkies will be ok....

if you are born and bred in SG, you will lose the drive to excel in life...

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore borned usually keep a low profile. Semi retired or simply burnt out in Singapore.
Our wealth caused jealousy. I did not realise until my peers asked me where did I find the money to buy a flashy car (which I replaced with a Korean car) do all the travel to Europe, etc.

The Malaysians are different. They did not have the opportunities back home, and may be working at 2-3 jobs back in Mudland.

Moreover, Malaysia and Australia are closer in the ways things are being done, from Federalism to lazy entitled Bumiputras.

Last edited: