• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore vote a 'wake up call' for ruling party

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.malaysia.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5208320

By Agence France-Presse, Updated: 8/28/2011

Singapore's voters gave the ruling party a "major wake-up call" in weekend elections, with critics feeling more and more empowered and no longer afraid to speak up for change, analysts said Sunday.

The results of Saturday's presidential vote, in which Tony Tan, seen as a proxy for the People's Action Party (PAP), scraped to victory, showed the government needed to evolve and be more open if it wanted to stay in power.

The vote was essentially a spill over of the voter discontent seen in May, when the opposition made a historic breakthrough in legislative elections and prompted Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to reshuffle his cabinet, they said.

"It's an indication that support for the PAP is not so strong," said Reuben Wong, an assistant political science professor at the National University of Singapore, after results showed Tan secured just over 35 percent of the vote.

"They have to figure out whether they need to reorient themselves away from the old-school authoritarian conservative PAP towards something that's more mainstream Singapore, more liberal, more plural, more open to different ideas."

Bridget Welsh, a political science professor at the Singapore Management University, described the result as "another major wakeup call for the PAP".

"Tony Tan is the PAP of old, tied to LKY and its conservative roots," she said, referring to Lee Kuan Yew, the stern founding father of modern Singapore and its first prime minister.

"The PAP has to shed its LKY skin and evolve into a less authoritarian animal that all Singaporeans can connect to."

Former deputy prime minister Tan, 71, only narrowly escaped defeat after a recount early Sunday gave him a margin of just 7,269 votes over his closest opponent out of more than two million valid ballots cast.

Nearly 65 percent of voters cast their ballots for candidates who had been critical of the PAP.

Song Seng Wun, a Singapore-based economist with financial group CIMB, said the scale of the vote against Tan in the four-way race for the largely ceremonial post was significant.

"Only one in three voters chose the winner who is closely associated with the government. Two out of three chose somebody else and that's quite telling."

"It shows that the stranglehold of the PAP is no longer as firm as it was in the last four decades," he told AFP.

Although the presidency is seen as a non-political role, the poll was seen as a direct referendum on the PAP, which has ruled Singapore for 52 years, because of Tan's close links with the party and its top leaders.

Song said that the number of people who believed that "the PAP knows best" was declining and the younger generation, who have increasingly making their voices heard through the Internet, were pushing the boundaries.

"You now have a growing group of people with greater political awareness and maturity who are no longer afraid to speak up," Song added.

Facebook, YouTube and Twitter have been credited with helping the younger generation bypass restrictions of a pro-government media as the wealthy city state evolves from strict political control to a more open democracy.

Under the PAP, Singapore has risen rapidly to become one of Asia's wealthiest societies and Singaporeans had a gross domestic product (GDP) of nearly $50,000 per capita in 2010, one of the highest in the world.

Critics, however, say that economic growth has come at the expense of certain political freedoms, and there is a general reluctance to question policies because the government supposedly knows best.

But rising living costs, soaring housing prices, a widening income gap, and a liberal policy on foreign workers blamed for jobs being taken from locals have galvanised support for the opposition.

The PAP lost an unprecedented six seats out of the 87 at stake in May's general election and its share of the vote fell to an all-time low of 60 percent from nearly 67 percent in the previous election in 2006.

Song said that faced with a politically more mature population, the PAP would have to shed its "we know best" image.

"The process of engagement going forward must also change because the kid is not a kid anymore," he said.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the FAP princelings can play dirty like conspiring to deny WP of event venues, do you think they will ever change?

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.malaysia.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5208320

By Agence France-Presse, Updated: 8/28/2011

Song said that the number of people who believed that "the PAP knows best" was declining and the younger generation, who have increasingly making their voices heard through the Internet, were pushing the boundaries.

"You now have a growing group of people with greater political awareness and maturity who are no longer afraid to speak up," Song added.

Not only the younger generation, look around you in this forum, I dare say some of the most vocal are about the same age as me, an old fart.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As LKY's appointment with his maker comes closer and closer, the peasants grow bolder and bolder.
Its hard to feel scared of a man who can hardly walk and seems at time struggling to make a speech.

It will be soon when the man join his wife and a " thousand flowers will bloom".

Last edited:

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
another 5 years for 'them' to massage/exploit/cover-up..IF indeed push comes to shove.. opposition will takeover an empty coffer...

daft sinkies been had once again in this EP....

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
We are just starting to find our feet, we've spent too many decades living under oppression, restrictions and in fear. So, we will evolve eventually to a more palatable form of democracy. The pap losing power is probably not in our lifetime to witness. It will be a long and arduous process to dismantle this pap behemoth, knowing how deeply entrenched it is in every aspect of Sporean life. One GE at a time, and to a lesser degree one PE at a time (assuming the constitution is not amended in future). But I see hope that what has been started by our generation in 2011 will benefit our children and grandchildren in the years to come.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
The future lies in the hand of the "grey" voters... as in those who are neither hardcore opposition nor PAP. It is pretty obvious by now the hardcore PAP supporters are barely 40%, while the hardcore opposition supporters are in the range of 30%. Hence the importance of this 30% or 700k borderline voters. If i were from PAP i would increase the intake of new citizens by about 1m over the next 5 years to tip the scale.

Last edited:

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if the idiots here and in the TRE even understand wtf will be happening in the backgrounds.

The contest just gave all who contested the real data on where the voters are for and against certain message types. It also shows them which constitutency is for and against PAP. If I am the PAP, I will start drawing the boundaries with this data, and call an erection in 3 years after a cabinet resuffles. If the daft idiots saying TJS was the frontrunner even understands this, it will be a miracle.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not only the younger generation, look around you in this forum, I dare say some of the most vocal are about the same age as me, an old fart.

Speak for yourself, old fart. Some old farts are rebels without a cause.

After living for more than half a century you should be smarter - and not let some smart Aleck geeks pull you by the nose.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We are just starting to find our feet, we've spent too many decades living under oppression, restrictions and in fear. So, we will evolve eventually to a more palatable form of democracy. The pap losing power is probably not in our lifetime to witness. It will be a long and arduous process to dismantle this pap behemoth, knowing how deeply entrenched it is in every aspect of Sporean life.

Looking at how quickly some regimes have fallen apart once the leader goes, I doubt people will have to wait long once LKY ups the lorry :smile:

This is especially true with a party like the PAP. Many are in the party for power & money, and not for some idealistic reasons. They'll turn on each other once the alpha male is gone:rolleyes:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
The future lies in the hand of the "grey" voters... as in those who are neither hardcore opposition nor PAP. It is pretty obvious by now the hardcore PAP supporters are barely 40%, while the hardcore opposition supporters are in the range of 30%. Hence the importance of this 30% or 700k borderline voters. If i were from PAP i would increase the intake of new citizens by about 1m over the next 5 years to tip the scale.

PAP should work on the premise that one day too soon there is going to be a split within the party. There is a striking similarity between the PAP and LDP (Liberal Democratic Party) of Japan which also was responsible for the Japanese economic miracle since its formation in 1955.

People like TCB fractions may feel that Singapore will be better served by them. A vast majority of Singaporeans are pragmatic enough to recognise that Singapore is better served by people who made up of the PAP - talented and pragmatic. Not those from the Worker's Party or SDP who are seen more like fly-by-night opportunists by many people.

However, we may not expect this to happen when LKY is around. Whole of Singapore is still indebted to him and his party for transforming Singapore from an economic backwater to a first world economy and society worthy of praise even by the most successful countries like Japan, USA and Britain - and large countries like India and China.

Whatever we say, we still give LKY face - unlike the younger Generation X, Y and Z who still think that manna falls from heaven, and their success is attributed to their own-self - not even their parents. These are the people who populated the social media and forums like this - thinking that that is the reality - virtual reality is REAL to them.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
However, we may not expect this to happen when LKY is around. Whole of Singapore is still indebted to him and his party for transforming Singapore from an economic backwater to a first world economy and society worthy of praise even by the most successful countries like Japan, USA and Britain - and large countries like India and China.

How can we be grateful to LKY & Co when we know so little facts :confused:

Don't know about you but I would like to know if anything is left of my CPF, what is state of the reserves, how many billions LKY has managed to amass & if this was through corruption :confused:

So let's leave any feeling of gratitude out until we know the "hard Truths" :rolleyes:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speak for yourself, old fart. Some old farts are rebels without a cause.

After living for more than half a century you should be smarter - and not let some smart Aleck geeks pull you by the nose.

Just an observation and a comment in passing, why so uptight?

Now I truely understand why someone someone said,' Youth is wasted on the young'.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was not so critical of PEEAPEE until that old cunt appeared in here

Oi! I am an old FART, OK?

Everyone should be critical of the PEEAPEE, most of all themselves. The trouble now is only 60% is, while the PEEP thinks they're gods.