• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore tobacco duties should be increased by further 50%.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore tobacco duties should be increased by further 50%.

Last time they said cannot increase because then smuggling will increase cos more profit margin and ICA not enough manpower to catch smugglers, jails too full of contraband cigarette smokers etc.

Now Malaysia has movement control order and causeway in effective shutdown with less 300,000 people crossing the border , so ICA and customs is now very very free (no more 300,000 travellers to do baggage checks on), just a few goods vehicles to do thorough checks and probably zero cars to check as well.

So they can check check check for contraband cigarettes.

Also, cigarettes smoking causes people to get heart attack, cancer and diabetes, which occupies ICU beds, which is one reason to prolong the shutdown/ DORSCON orange or whatever just to 'flatten the curve' so that ICU beds continue to be available to those who need care.

Smoking should be forbidden because it is antisocial because it squanders medishield-life insurance fund pool on unnecessary medical treatment and unnecessarily occupies hospital ICU beds.

Many people also experience less work.stress because in truth, there is now less work to do given the lock down and gahmen is paying everyone 25-75% of their salary to compensate for the free time at work.on their hands.

Perhaps all these free time should be spent in smoking cessation clinics, which will be well subvented from the increase in tobacco duties by a further 50%.

Once they have been off tobacco for the duration of COVID-19, they will probably drop the bad and unhealthy habit.

And no point they hunt for contraband cigarettes because there are none to be found anyway (all contraband access is cut off by COVID-19 lockdown policies and customs officer efforts).

Gahmen should take my suggestion seriously, so that we emerge stronger, with fewer addictions after COVID-19 has blown over. Then, we will be fitter, have less diabetes etc and be ready for all economic challenges when COVID-19 is over.

Gahmen must hit when iron is hot, otherwise this is a golden opportunity wasted to the detriment of Singapore in the long run.

The earlier people stop smoking, the earlier we can end the COVID-19 lockdowns (since we will then have sufficient hospital ICU to treat COVID-19 patients in case they are infected and fall terribly ill).

References:
Singapore 'has 2nd-highest proportion of diabetics' (in no small way due to tobacco addiction I must add):
fNO5FUe.jpg
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/singapore-has-2nd-highest-proportion-of-diabetics

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The best solution is to:

- require all smokers to register and carry a smoker registration card (SMR)
- this SMR will be the equivalent of NRIC for smokers ie illegal to get out of the house without carrying it on you
- stores will be heavily penalised for selling cigarettes to any one without the presentation of a SMR and checking that the photo on the card is the face of the person buying the stuff
- those who use their SMR to buy the stuff for other people will also be heavily penalised
- in order not to squander limited medical resources on inconsiderate people who choose to eat poison, all doctors and
hospitals, whether public or private, will be banned from treating those who have a SMR for smoking related diseases like lung cancer. For any other conditions, those with SMR will be given lower priority in treatment.
- those with SMR will be required to serve a corrective work order and clear rubbish such as discarded cig butts on the streets at least once a month.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People become diabetic because they lack discipline, and their liver cannot metabolize the excess sugar.

A meddling govt quite often creates bigger problems than the ones it purports to solve. But I guess Sinkies are conditioned to live in a nanny state ruled by an interventionist, micromanaging govt. :rolleyes:

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am a smoker and it is costing me a fortune! Nevermind my health, I am ready to die anyway. If they ban smoking and ciggies, I will have no choice but to quit. Please ban ciggies, pap!
You must thank PAP. In Australia,a pack of twenty costs $25.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Glockie, was (pleasantly?) surprised 7-11 now drop pack price to $13.2-12.30 (depending on outlet). Before it was $14+.
Same as some kopi stalls charge before. Would expect they drop in tandem?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Glockie, was (pleasantly?) surprised 7-11 now drop pack price to $13.2-12.30 (depending on outlet). Before it was $14+.
Same as some kopi stalls charge before. Would expect they drop in tandem?
Recession mah, need to take care of customers so dropped price *cough cough*. Oh excuse me. Anyway, it has always been different pricing at different places (location, outlet types). I don't usually buy from 7-11, I buy from provision shops, sundry shops. So if you find a good outlet, stick with them. *cough cough cough* And if you buy cartons like I do, there is usually a further discount *cough cough cough*. Damn these ciggies are killing me!:biggrin: