• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore-born Bowler Shayna Ng is world champion!

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
http://www.todayonline.com/Sports/EDC121202-0000002/Bowler-Ng-is-world-champion

by Tan Yo-Hinn
Updated 12:50 AM Dec 02, 2012

SINGAPORE -- National bowler Shayna Ng has won the prestigious 48th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup (Nov 24 to Dec 2) in Poland.

showimageCC.aspx

Shayna Ng (pictured) with the 48th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup title after beating defending champion Aumi Guerra of the Dominican Republic in Wroclaw, Poland to become the second Singaporean after Jasmine Yeong-Nathan to win the prestigious accolade. Photo courtesy of the Singapore Bowling Federation.

At the Sky Bowling Centre in the Polish city of Wroclaw on Saturday, the 23-year-old edged out defending champion Aumi Guerra of the Dominican Republic 2-1 in the women's stepladder final to claim the world title.

Ng lost the first game 224-269, but recovered to win the next 267-259 to force a decisive rubber, which she emerged triumphant 247-169 over Guerra, who also won in 2010.

She becomes the second Singaporean to win the women's crown after Jasmine Yeong-Nathan -- she beat the then-defending champion Ann-Maree Putney of Australia to win the 2008 edition in Hermosilio, Mexico -- and joins national star Remy Ong and Yeong-Nathan in the Singapore Bowling Federation's Hall of Fame of World Champions.

During a phone interview with TODAY from Wroclaw on Saturday night, the magnitude of the win was still sinking in for her.

"I'm overwhelmed! To come so close so many times and not win, and to finally win a world title is a really good feeling," said Ng, who dedicated the win to her sister Mandy, who turned 20 on Saturday.

With the scores level at 1-1, Guerrera started the final game poorly as she had the second, fourth and 10th frames open with splits. But it was to prove costly as Ng seized the initiative and closed out with strikes and spares.

"Losing the first game was upsetting, but I had to pull myself out of it...I've played 36 games to get to the final, and it would have been a waste to just give up," she said.

"Midway through, I changed the ball as I wasn't getting much confidence with the previous one, and the carry wasn't great. Fortunately, the change worked and the reaction was a lot better.

"Everyone also seemed to be cheering for Aumi, and that got me fired up even more."

SBF President Jessie Phua also said: "(It was an) awesome performance! (It) had us all sitting by the edge of the cliff.

"When the rest of the pack came charging in so strongly to challenge her pole position, she was focused enough to keep her cool to ensure a place in the stepladder finals, and what ferocity she showed in the final!"

It is the latest accolade in the bowling career so far of the final year sports and exercise science undergraduate at Edith Cowan University, which includes a gold medal in the women's trios at the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou.

"It feels great to finally win such a big individual title. Now, the next target is the women's team event at next year's World Championship," said Ng.

Ng had qualified as the third-seed -- she finished third in the final qualifying rounds earlier -- for the stepladder semi-finals, where she overcame second-seed Kirsten Penny of England 2-0 (246-215, 231-191).

The result is also a first victory as a coach with the national side for former men's double world champion Remy Ong, who is with Ng in Wroclaw.

"It does feel different as a coach, and not actually bowling myself," said the triple gold medallist from the 2002 Asian Games. "But the satisfaction from being able to help them do their best on the lanes is just as great."

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why is she not receiving more news coverage by the MSMs? Should not Singapore be proud of this young lady instead of those imported talents from China?

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now she should apply for her green card and be US citizen before it all falls apart for her in peesai. Why deal with SSC when shen can easily get US pr and prosper.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is she not receiving more news coverage by the MSMs? Should not Singapore be proud of this young lady instead of those imported talents from China?

Perhaps it is because the SSC did not spend millions of dollars on her training to brag about the importance of their involvement? :rolleyes:

To be fair, she got lucky. Her opponent off form in the third game.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
bowling has very little MIW patronage but the sports that import talent from China .... just look at their benefactors and their links.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

AS you know MSM is controlled by PAP, when talents from China excel they need MSMs to justify their spending hence more coverage than usual. The gov did not spent much on this young Singaporean bowler.

Cheers and congrats to Shayna!