• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Singapore] - Books Actually turned out to be a shop of horrors

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1632561635588.png

Renée and Kenny married in October 2016 in a small ceremony held in the bookstore. Three months later, in December, Renée began to suspect that there was a romantic affair developing between Kenny and another employee.

At the time, Mel (name withheld) was 22-years-old and two years younger than Renée. Renée had noticed how they would stand close to each other, their body language suggesting a casualness that the other employees did not share.

Kenny would show particular concern whenever Mel was feeling unwell and insisted on running errands with her under the pretence of training. The bookstore became a microcosm in which every interaction grew increasingly tense for Renée, but there was nowhere else to go.

The “affair”, however, was more complicated than it seemed at first glance.

Mel had just come back to work from an overseas trip in December 2016 when she realised that Kenny was suddenly ignoring her. Perplexed, she texted him to ask if she had done anything wrong. Kenny replied, requesting a private meeting with her, on the pretext of work. In the 15 minutes they were alone in the apartment across the street that he used as an office, Kenny then confessed that he had fallen in love with her. He planned to “phase Renée out” over the next two years.

Shocked, Mel told him she was not interested, to please stay faithful to Renée, and asked if she should quit.

Kenny said no, promised that he would keep things professional and that there would be no more advances, on one condition: that Mel would spend a day with him.

Was he asking her out on a date? Or was it more like simple accompaniment? Confronted with this, Mel agreed, but the end of the day led to the same conclusion: she was not interested in getting involved in his marriage. Kenny then apologised and told her that he would leave her alone.

“I just wanted to work in the bookstore”

However, a month later, Kenny once again asked for a private meeting where he confessed his romantic feelings for a third time.

Amid Kenny’s emotional outburst, Mel grew sympathetic and made an offer: “I’d let him hug me for so long as he wanted, then to please, stick to the promise of being professional and not talk to me about this again. He asked if he could also hold my hand, and I relented. Then he asked me if I really didn’t like him at all, and I, not wanting to be mean, told him that I did like him, but he was married, so no, I wasn’t interested…”

“I guess that was where I was wrong because I lied that I did like him. While I did like him, it was in a, “I like what you’ve done for the local art scene, for our local writers, and I respect you a whole lot” way. I obviously did not elaborate on that. and I did go out with him that one time. so I may have given him the idea that I wanted him to do some sort of grand gesture for me …” she says via email.

The fallout was immense. In January 2017, Renée confronted Kenny about his feelings, and Kenny painted a picture of a reciprocal affair. Unsurprisingly, Mel never stepped into the bookstore again.

By the time Buy SingLit Fest rolled around in March 2017, Kenny was romantically involved with yet another employee—according to former staff of the bookstore. This time, the girl was 20.

https://www.ricemedia.co/books-actually-young-women-speak-up/

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

level 1
alive_note

·4h

To all the comments here saying that they already knew about it, is it something that is part of the "arts" circle? Are his contributiond really that great or insurmountable that no one has raised this issue? Just curious and a little upset at how these vulnerable people/ladies were taken advantage of
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 2
IHAVECONJUNCTIVITIS

·4h

level 2
lorong7

·4h

Mainstream media in Singapore just doesn't really care about the arts circle because, well, it is not mainstream. Unless there is something very hipster or attractive e.g. a nice storefront, a pop-up concept shop. The discussions around arts circles in Singapore are within the social networks of the people interested in these "niche" topics.

level 1
stonehallow

·5h

Not even in the arts scene per se but this has been quite an open secret. He never made much of an attempt to hide his grooming and carousel of ‘book elves’. Felt like people just looked the other way mostly cos of Kenny’s ‘contributions’ to the art

level 2
zyrapenguin

·2h

meh, this guy is kinda the tip of the iceberg wrt predatory older-male behaviour within the arts scene. someone should write a "30 above 30" article on "influential" / "pioneering" / "art scene champion" older males that have groomed and "romantically involved" themselves with a carousel of significantly younger females, from their position of relative power/standing in the arts scene. many such "open secrets" over the years.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Kenny Leck

2h ·
Dear all,
This is in response to the allegations that have been circulating about me since Saturday.

There are two distinct periods being discussed.

During the first period (prior to the team of 5 (whom I will refer to as my current team) joining me since mid-2019), I admit to my personal failings as the individual running BooksActually. These failings have caused immense pain to specific ex-employees. It was also a time of personal trauma when I had made mistakes in relation to my marriage to Renee. The extramarital affair has been spoken and speculated about and I do not wish to speak more about it here, save that I acknowledge causing Renee deep pain that she may never heal from. The divorce was properly initiated, and after extensive discussions, a settlement was drafted to both parties’ agreement, of which I am still making restitution as of today. There have been allegations, and inferences, that remain totally untrue. There will be a time when I will be ready to speak to each in detail publicly, but now is not that time. I hope you will allow me my privacy for now.

The second period, after my current team joined me, has been one where BooksActually is not troubled by the shadows of my personal life. It continues to be run responsibly, professionally, consistent with our brand, and it has the current team whom I feel embodies its values.

In early 2020, after the pandemic hit, I have been gradually ceding executive decision-making to individuals in the current team, primarily, the full-timers.

Moving forward, I have decided to cede full legal ownership and directorship of BooksActually Pte Ltd to the current team, who will be the new owners. I will be removed from all decision-making processes with this change. Similarly, the team will be drafting and codifying our workplace SOPs, which includes an anti-harassment policy for future hires. These safeguards will be regularly updated as the work environment changes during this pandemic, and beyond, which I hope we will all emerge safely from soon.

To end, I am deeply sorry to everyone that I have caused pain to. I continue to believe in the importance of BooksActually as a milestone in our literary journey, and as an enabler of aspirations. I hope that you will continue to support the new team as they continue to forge the BooksActually journey.

Sincerely,
Kenny

https://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/threads/kenny-leck-responses-to-allegations.6607913/

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why is Kenny Leak being judged for his personal affairs?

There are other prominent people, businessmen, politicians, celebrities who have affairs, and have done worse things? LGBTs are now accepted into society and given their personal space. They are no longer condemned and judged.

Hotel Properties Ong Beng Seng - so many sex trysts, including Zoe Tay.

Hour Glass Jannie Tay went to jail over her husband's alleged affair.

Lee Hsien Yang's second son married a man.

K Shanmugam and .....

Michael Palmer and Laura Ong

Did the media and people (no one dare) condemn them?