• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Siambu Whore CB Eating Wind during Covid19

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being A Sex Worker In Bangkok During COVID-19: How The Pandemic Has Affected Our Forgotten Workers
Jun
Sex workers in Thailand
sex worker in thailand

Four years ago, Nira came out to me and another close friend over dinner as a sex worker. We spent the entire evening talking about it. I was fascinated by her choice and remembered looking at her from across the table thinking, “she rocks.”

Nira and I went to the same high school in a small province of Angthong, in central Thailand. After graduation, she fully embraced her true self as a trans woman and grew up to be one of the most stunning women I’d ever seen, both inside and out.

I got back in touch with Nira, now 24, during the pandemic, where she shared her personal struggles of being a sex worker in Bangkok amid COVID-19 – through virus transmission risks, curfews, and lockdowns.

Note: ‘Nira’ is an alias, which she borrowed from the trans female protagonist with the same name in Bai Mai Tee Plid Plew, a Thai novel that was recently adapted into a TV series. Her real name remains undisclosed to protect her identity.

The interview has been tweaked for clarity.

Life before COVID-19
sex worker in Thailand

Soi Cowboy, a popular red-light district in Bangkok, looks a bit strangely empty, especially in broad daylight, as Nira and I walk through it while having our conversation.

“I went into the [sex work] industry around 4 years ago,” Nira begins.

“At first, I was really uncomfortable, but I gradually started having fun and became happier with my job.”

Before the pandemic struck, Nira said that her job made her “a lot of money” each month.

“I started off as an ‘entertainer’ in a bar, which involved a lot of talking. If customers wanted to take me out, then we would settle on the payment first before taking off,” she shares. “Simultaneously, I also worked independently on the streets.”

Nana Plaza
Nana Plaza is where Nira began her career as a sex worker

She then gave me some insight into what it was like working in a bar, and how different it is like to work as a freelancer, which is what Nira does today.

“At the bar, I was obliged to pay a small commission fee whenever I left with the customers, while I got to keep the money all to myself as a freelancer,” she adds.

Nira is now a full-time freelancer because she prefers the flexibility and higher pay, despite it meaning that she has to spend most of her hours on the streets.

“I lost all income.”
empty bar in soi cow boy
Bangkok’s nightlife today is a far cry from the vibrant city many know and love

To combat the virus, most businesses have faced abrupt closure. The international flight bans in Thailand have also caused a huge dip in tourism in the country, with the ban being extended till the end of June. This greatly affects Nira’s life as all of her customers are now gone.

soi cow boy
Soi Cowboy has suffered great losses because of the pandemic

“Most of my clients were foreigners from Asian and European countries, so when the lockdown took place, I lost all income.”

For Nira, shopping and dining out are not options anymore. The decrease in her income has shifted the way she lives her life during the pandemic.

When I ask about how she’s been coping over the past few months, she pauses for a brief moment before answering.

“To make ends meet, I’ve been selling [cosmetics and clothes] online as a side job. I’ve also started managing my money and thinking my spending through,” Nira laments. “I’ve become very frugal.”

empty bar in soi cow boy

But she’s not the only one.

“Many of my coworkers are in the same situation as me,” she adds.

Although people from all walks of life have been facing financial hardships in this economy, Nira believes it’s even worse for workers in such “night-time businesses” as the curfew was in effect for months, and with the government having not set a reopening date for places like bars and entertainment venues.

Sex workers are not on cash relief
Thai bath money
Image credit: Posttoday

In late March, the government launched a cash relief programme called ‘Rao Mai Thing Gun’, which translates to ‘We’re Not Leaving Anyone Behind’.

The relief aims to help workers whose jobs have been affected by the pandemic. If one is eligible, they would get ฿5,000 for 3 months, totalling to ฿15,000 (~USD 482).

We then ask Nira if she’s signed up for it.

“I didn’t sign up [for the cash relief fund] because my work wasn’t on the [approved] occupation list, since it’s illegal,” says Nira, her expression visibly dropping.

She added, “I believe that sex workers are bringing money into the country, just like other jobs, so I want the government to help us during a crisis like this too.”

Soi Cowboy

Nira is right. The tourism industry has always been a prominent sector for Thailand’s economy. Last year, it was responsible for 10% of the country’s total income, as reported by BBC Thai.

And while it’s a hard pill to swallow for some, sex workers like Nira play a part in this industry.

Stigmatised and unprotected
sex worker in Thailand

Being left out of the cash relief fund during the pandemic was not the only time she’s felt overlooked.

“I personally believe that [sex workers] are less likely to be protected by the law when compared to other kinds of workers,” she says.

Nira also admits to me that if anything bad were to happen during her working hours, she isn’t likely to go to the police as prostitution is still illegal in Thailand.

“Let’s say I get beaten up by my clients while on duty – I wouldn’t dare walk up to the police as I fear that I’d be the one to get prosecuted.”

It’s a harsh example, but she makes a clear point.

In a cultural aspect, sex work is still largely stigmatised by the majority of Thais, and those who participate in it are often deemed to be immoral. To that, Nira simply said: “Sex workers are human beings just like all of you. Our job is to make a living, just like yours. Stop discriminating.”

And her frustrations are valid.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bangkok should just legitimaise sex work and start collecting tax from it. Also start a minimum $pop on their sex work. It will collect more tax and it will also better protect the sex worker.

Leave no one behind.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bangkok should just legitimaise sex work and start collecting tax from it. Also start a minimum $pop on their sex work. It will collect more tax and it will also better protect the sex worker.

Leave no one behind.
Tax and pay for your son school? No shame arh u? :o-o:

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
she should go take courses and upgrade herself like pap always insist,
Jo teo as manpower minister should be seconded to bangkok to help out
she can help pimps cut down on rental costs by demonstrating how to fuck in a small space

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tax and pay for your son school? No shame arh u? :o-o:
It's to induce more protection for these sex workers. Protect them from the perils on the job and make them socially and economically viable as a profession. It also easier to control the number of people going into the trade. This also make taxation easier.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's to induce more protection for these sex workers. Protect them from the perils on the job and make them socially and economically viable as a profession. It also easier to control the number of people going into the trade. This also make taxation easier.
Sure let's vote for the MP want tax live off prostitute earnings. :laugh:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another sad sob sob story by a typical Siambu whore. Local demands still high even if there are lack of sex tourists now in Thailand. And don't forget, many of these whores also have many foreign boyfriends , the Gong Gong ones sending them money every month.

searcher1

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you have a Thai GF, her family problems will be your problems as well.

Not only Thai lar, but the whole planet earth, female as well.
How many times we hear sob story about their family brother, sister, mother, father, uncle, auntie

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
They know you are well able to help them. Let's say her pretty sister is in trouble, can you request for her sister to pay it off by keeping you company for a year?

After that the debt is repaid? Will your gal friend object to it?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ditto ATBs. Msian gals always the best.

Depends... some ATBs are independent.

They might tell you about some of their family drama. For example my ATB friend told me how her mother and her greedy uncle went to court because of a dispute over an inherited house. She won. Just lend a listening ear, you also can't do much to help. :wink:

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
she should go take courses and upgrade herself like pap always insist,
Jo teo as manpower minister should be seconded to bangkok to help out
she can help pimps cut down on rental costs by demonstrating how to fuck in a small space
Jo Teo will demonstrate to the Siam Bu how to increase productivity by farking in a compressed space.