• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Show your support to Mr. Chiam and his team this evening:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rally: Potong Pasir
Party: SPP
Venue: Open field bounded by Upp Serangoon Road, Meyappa Chettair & Potong Pasir Ave 1
Time: 07:00pm - 10:00pm[/SIZE]

Last edited:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Rally: Potong Pasir
Party: SPP
Venue: Open field bounded by Upp Serangoon Road, Meyappa Chettair & Potong Pasir Ave 1
Time: 07:00pm - 10:00pm[/SIZE]

To be honest, I teared when I heard him say "I am not actually a brave man. But I love Singapore and I love Singaporeans." I know this came from his heart. We love you too Mr Chiam.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Emotions run high at SPP rally

<cite class="byline vcard">By Jeanette Tan | SingaporeScene – <abbr title="2011-04-29T20:24:15Z">Sat, Apr 30, 2011 4:24 AM SGT</abbr></cite>

630yahoo_cryingman.jpg
An ardent supporter breaks down upon meeting Mr Chiam See Tong, (Yahoo! photo/Christine Choo)

For one man in his 60s, it was just too much to bear.

Moments after the Singapore People's Party's (SPP) first General Election rally at Jurong West ended on Friday, he was so moved by secretary-general Chiam See Tong's speech that he began to tear.

The man cried as he shook Mr Chiam's hand and said, "I feel so happy for you that I am crying. I hope you win."

Others added more words of encouragement, including one who said, "We need more people like you."

Indeed, many in the estimated 1,200-strong crowd had come just from across the island -- some from as far as Woodlands --just to hear Singapore's longest-serving opposition MP speak.

Crane operator Nizam, 26, who stays in Choa Chu Kang, attended the rally even though he would not have the opportunity to vote for the SPP, which will be contesting only in Hong Kah North SMC, Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC and Potong Pasir SMC. "I came down to see Mr Chiam, because I wanted to see him in person, to hear him speak. He's a great man," he said.
"He's a legend," added Hanizah Zaini, 27, a customer service officer. "It's amazing that he is still here (and standing for election again), against all odds."
The most poignant moment of the night came when Mr Chiam -- hunched and bowed by old age and the lasting effects of a stroke -- took to the stage.
Even as the audience chanted his name, the Potong Pasir MP for the last 27 years said humbly, "You give me more applause than I deserve."
Explaining his decision why he's contesting another election at the age of 76, the former lawyer said, "I am not actually a brave man. But I love Singapore and I love Singaporeans."
Speaking in a slow, measured voice, he said that the opposition is the essence of democracy and that the government needs to be more transparent and accountable.
Urging the audience to make their vote count, he said, "Every one of us can take part in politics. I can assure you that nothing will happen to you; I am a living example you can follow."
The crowd responded and at one point, a resident called out, "Mr Chiam, you don't have to speak. We will vote for you!" while others applauded to show encouragement.
630yahoo_sppteam.jpg
(Yahoo! photo/Christine Choo)

During the rally, Chiam's wife Lina -- who will be taking over her husband to contest in Potong Pasir -- also delivered her maiden speech.

Acknowledging that she was more well-known as "Mrs Chiam See Tong", she was determined to stand on her own two feet.
"My name is Mrs Lina Chiam, not Mrs Chiam See Tong. I am my own person, and I will do things my own way," she declared to resounding cheers.
Mrs Chiam, 62, also revealed some of the trials Mr Chiam faced as an opposition MP.
This included an incident where Mr Chiam planted a tree that was given to him as a gift, but it was uprooted and killed with acid by unknown enemies—a story that even her fellow SPP candidates themselves were unaware of.
Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC candidate Benjamin Pwee later told Yahoo! Singapore he was "completely touched by the Chiams", while his teammate Jimmy Lee was inspired by the stories shared on the night.
"I now have renewed strength for the coming week," Lee said.
Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC candidate Benjamin Pwee encourages the crowd to face their fear of voting the opposition. …

Pwee himself took to the podium earlier in the night and spoke passionately about the need for voters to overcome their fear of voting for the opposition. The former government scholar shared that he had battled fear for the longest time, eventually telling himself that "if (he was) going to step out, it has to be for the people."
Addressing comments made previously that voting for the opposition was akin to making a ship sink, he responded, "Which opposition candidate will put everything on the line to bring this ship down?"
Enthusiastic supporters cheer the SPP candidates on as they speak. (Yahoo! photo/Christine)

Despite the night of drama and rhetoric, however, the question remains how and if residents will be swayed to vote for the SPP or the PAP. Hong Kah North SMC resident Linda Tan, 30, remains ambivalent despite the events of the night, having attended the rally to translate what was said to her parents, whom she lived with.
"They (the candidates) brought up a few things, but I will need time to digest what has been said here, as well as to listen to what the PAP candidate has to say," she said.

leoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
wong ks got no say (abt chiam's situation)
if he open his idiot mas selamat mouth say abt chiam's condition, d swing of vote 2 spp is for sure

wong ks is now looking for a new job

To be honest, I teared when I heard him say "I am not actually a brave man. But I love Singapore and I love Singaporeans." I know this came from his heart. We love you too Mr Chiam.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chants and cheers for Chiam at Potong Pasir rally

By Jeremy Au Yong
sppchiam-30.jpg

Singapore People's Party's (SPP) Chiam See Tong (left, wearing a garland) with his wife, Mrs Lina Chiam (hand raised) during a rally at Potong Pasir. -- ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN

IF SATURDAY night's rally at Potong Pasir was to be his farewell to the constituency, the residents certainly gave their former incumbent MP Chiam See Tong a rousing sendoff.
The 5,000-strong crowd chanted his name and cheered almost non-stop the moment Mr Chiam came on stage. And when it was his turn to speak, every sentence he uttered was greeted with loud cheers.
Mr Chiam used his address to explain to Potong Pasir residents why he was leaving the constituency to contest a GRC after 27 years. He said he wanted to push for more democracy and is staking his chances in the five-man Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC.
His Singapore People's Party (SPP) group is contesting the People's Action Party (PAP) incumbent team anchored by Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng.
At the rally, Mr Chiam, together with the other SPP candidates, threw their weight behind Mrs Lina Chiam, who is taking over the Potong Pasir battle from her husband. They promised residents that the other six candidates would also serve Potong Pasir if Mrs Chiam was elected.

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't Be A Carrot Head

The Last Stand

24d3ed5.jpg

<embed width="640" height="480" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v7.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2nvz8jn&s=7"><br><font size="1"><a href="http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2nvz8jn&s=7">Original Video</a> - More videos at <a href="http://tinypic.com">TinyPic</a></font>

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Don't Be A Carrot Head

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LKnosASSnlY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LKnosASSnlY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

cobragold

Alfrescian
Loyal
NO point only going to the rally, must vote for him and change on the 7 th of may, that is our independence day. remember the will smith show where they took on the alien and wow, that was the independence day for them, this may 7 will be ours, free from the shackles of our PAP.
I stay at Tampines and every elections I vote against MBT as I find that he is doing nothing for the people, even allow marine parade to get lift upgrading twice. Here we have flats that do not have lift opening at every floor

jw5

Loyal
NO point only going to the rally, must vote for him and change on the 7 th of may, that is our independence day. remember the will smith show where they took on the alien and wow, that was the independence day for them, this may 7 will be ours, free from the shackles of our PAP.
I stay at Tampines and every elections I vote against MBT as I find that he is doing nothing for the people, even allow marine parade to get lift upgrading twice. Here we have flats that do not have lift opening at every floor

Don't forget that they paved the way for cyclists to ride on the pavement, so that pedestrains and cyclists can live together in harmony. :rolleyes:
Such brilliance and foresight cannot be underestimated. :biggrin:

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tonight's Rally for Singapore People's Party (SPP) [Monday, 2 May 2011]

Constituency: Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC

Where: Bishan Stadium, 7 Bishan Street 14

Time: 7 pm to 10 pm

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A message from Mr Chiam See Tong -- Fellow singaporeans, this is the time to hold the government accountable to YOU, through the power of the secret vote. Exercise it well. I have confidence in you. Thank you.

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I left Bishan Stadium at 10.30pm, there were still a hundred people waiting to shake his hand, young and old, different races, saw young gers jumping excitedly after shaking his hand.

Poor police and plainclothes all wanted to go home but had to wait for some time.

Last edited:

lnchwmn4

Alfrescian
Loyal
Half a league, half a league,
  Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
'Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns' he said:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to the right of them,
Cannon to the left of them,
Cannon in front of them
  Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
  Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turned in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army while
  All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre-stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
  Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
  Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
  All the world wonder'd.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
  Noble six hundred!

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I left Bishan Stadium at 10.30pm, there were still a hundred people waiting to shake his hand, young and old, different races, saw young gers jumping excitedly after shaking his hand.

Poor police and plainclothes all wanted to go home but had to wait for some time.
hahaha...was there also up to around 2230hrs.......
what surprised me a lot was that a lot of those staying back to shake his hands and autograph were very young boys and gals.....some were shouting "I love you CST" and "long Life CST"......very touching.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today's Rallies: Wednesday, May 4
Singapore People's Party (SPP) in Potong Pasir SMC

Open field bounded by Upp Serangoon Road , Meyappa Chettiar & Potong Pasir Ave 1, 7pm to 10pm

chiam see tong! chiam see tong!! potong pasir! chiam see tong!!!!