• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Should we house the foreign worker offshore?

faithang

Alfrescian
Loyal
My colleague and I was chatting about this issue. It is logical...but is it humane to do this?

http://www.fivestarsandamoon.com/no...orkers-should-be-housed-on-off-shore-islands/

No, I do not believe foreign workers should be housed on off-shore islands
Posted by Benjamin Chiang
Benjamin Chiang on December 11, 2013 at 3:32 pm
Note: The views expressed in this article are the writer's own and do not represent any organisation, the editorial team and/or the editor.

11.jpg

The idea of housing foreign workers in offshore islands seems to be getting revived following the Little India riot on Sunday night.

National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said back in April that Singapore was open to housing foreign workers at offshore islands. The story on that is being reposted and shared again in light of the riot.

The idea is something that many people, the kind who opposed the establishment of foreign worker dormitories in Serangoon, would support.

It would also likely be appreciated by those who join some of the nauseatingly racist discussions online about foreign workers hanging around residential areas in Singapore.

Do you recall the violent rejections when foreign worker dormitories were to be built in the Serangoon area? Only after much negotiation, give & take and cajoling did the dorm finally run. Though it may have cost the previous MP a seat in Parliament.

And just last week, a program on Channel News Asia discussed the issue of groups of foreign workers hanging around residential areas at Race Course Road – the remarks were not pretty.

Through no scientific poll, I don’t think it is wrong to conclude this is what the more vocal people on the ground want.

They may be vocal – but this is not the right direction to head.

We are all labourers – be you a cleaner, a clerk, an executive or a technician, we are all still someone else’s employee. The only difference here is our foreign friends are from another country. They are here, merely because Singapore is such fertile ground to make a living. I was also once a foreign worker working in someone else’s country, and I wasn’t asked to live in such-and-such a district.

(Photo from “Beyond The Border, Behind The Men“, a group promoting migrant worker integration)

Some say they drink too much. Some say they behave funny. Some say they are rude. But wait, have we heard sentiments about Singaporeans from other nationalities? I’m not saying we should do a tit-for-tat, but if we cannot rid ourselves of this “holier than thou” attitude, then we have no right to chide others for saying similar things about us.

On the whole, you will not disagree with me when I say that Singaporeans live in harmony with our foreign friends. I’ve seen uncles at coffeeshops trying to break the language barrier with fellow foreign diners. I have seen supervisors and workers having a good laugh after work.

21.jpg

Just like how not all of them are rambunctious rioters, not all of us Singaporeans are xenophobic pricks either.

Let us speak boldly and let Minister Khaw Boon Wan (of the Ministry of National Development) know that it is integration that we want, not separation.

We cannot allow the ugly Singaporean get their way.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why the hell not? In the 80s many taiwanese, japanese, south koreans and etc. had camps at site during the construction of Petrol Chemicals and refineries situated in various islands (now called the Jurong Islands). What made them so special now?

aerobwala

Alfrescian
Loyal
Already done at remote Tuas South reclaimed land, rows of hostel for foreign worker constructing Tuas transshipment port.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Create an underground cavern and banish them there like the Morlocks were. They should be allowed only to work and frog marched back when they're done for the day.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes why not?in order to pursue the Aryan race of Singapore,I propose offshore ghettos to be build to house all the sub human species of undesirables and untouchables race,this includes Jews,ah neh workers,low class sinkies with the sinkie gene,elderly sinkies,sinkies that can't pay their SCC bills on time.

All undesirables will be required to wear a armband denoting their status

jw5

Loyal
The foreign workers should be housed in the ministars' mansions.

The pioneer can be Toothpick Zorro Lim. :wink:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why the hell not? In the 80s many taiwanese, japanese, south koreans and etc. had camps at site during the construction of Petrol Chemicals and refineries situated in various islands (now called the Jurong Islands). What made them so special now?

Datz the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Please house our resident foriegn trash from matland Tonychat with those foreign workers also.

After all, he says he likes Ah Nehs.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They should be housed at the Istana. Lots of space there for dormitories. It is also strategically located. Near to Little India, Peninsula, Lucky Plaza, Chinatown, Golden Mile etc. They can form guard of honour when foreign heads of state comes to town.