• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shevchenko defends decision to enter Ukraine politics

Kiessling

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shevchenko defends decision to enter Ukraine politics

The former Dynamo Kiev striker insists his popularity among many football fans will help his countrymen, and denies allegations of taking money or funding as election day looms

Sep 19, 2012 5:06:00 PM

By Miles Chambers

193021hp2.jpg

Former Chelsea and AC Milan forward Andriy Shevchenko has defended himself against accusations surrounding his political candidacy in Ukraine.

The 35-year-old retired from international and club football after Euro 2012 and had already revealed his intention to enter into politics.

However, some people have criticised his candidacy as a ploy to steal votes from former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko for the ‘Ukraine - Go Forward!’ party that Shevchenko represents, but the former forward has refuted claims he received money from third parties to fund the €1 million he paid towards the election campaign.

"As a player, I think I've done a lot for my country," Shevchenko explained to Italian news outletLa Repubblica.

"Now I have made the decision to enter politics because I want to do good in Ukraine. I absolutely did not take money or funding.

"In the course of my career, I have gained the trust of a large part of my people, and for me this is the most precious thing. I could never want to lose it making up certain things.

"I understand that on the internet you can write many things but what matters is to meet people in person.

"I have already travelled half the country campaigning and many people have told me they support my idea of being in politics.

"If I go into parliament I will dedicate myself to promoting the sport among the young generations of Ukrainians. They do not have to be famous champions, just healthy people."