• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

She scores 12 A1s but gets 0 scholarship

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,202217,00.html?

She scores 12 A1s but gets 0 scholarship
Many top students shocked over failed applications
May 17, 2009

NP_IMAGES_STUDY16.jpg

--PICTURE: SIN CHEW DAILY

SHE has a stellar academic record, and is among the top in her cohort in the most recent Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) national exam.

SPM is equivalent to O levels.

But 17-year-old Cai Bao Yuan, who scored an impressive 12 A1s in the national exams, will not fulfil her dream of studying overseas on a Public Service Department (PSD) scholarship, Sin Chew Daily reported.

Bao Yuan, who is from Pahang, wrote to the press after she found out her scholarship application had been rejected.

She told Sin Chew Daily: 'Why is it that students who do the best cannot get a scholarship? This is ridiculous.

'I hope something can be done about this situation.'

She added that she had worked hard her whole life in order to get a scholarship to study overseas.

She is not alone.

Top students across Malaysia have found that straight As do not guarantee a scholarship.

When Mo Ye Voon, a student from Malacca, scored 10 A1s and an A2, she thought she stood a good chance at a scholarship to study medicine.

But her dream was dashed when she found out she had not been selected by the PSD as a scholarship recipient.

'I was not even considered for a medical course at any of the local universities,' she told The Star.

Reconsider decision

She added that there is no way she can afford to pay for a medical course at local universities on her father's income as a factory supervisor.

'I hope the PSD would reconsider my application as I have no one else to turn to,' she said.

Ye Voon's mother, Madam Teo Ai Woo, said her daughter was not just academically outstanding.

She was also active in co-curricular activities and had represented the district in badminton.

'She has been crying every night since learning that she did not get the scholarship,' Madam Teo said.

Chok Chun Ynh, 17, a student from Sungei Petani, is another top student who has been unable to secure a scholarship to study abroad.

He, too, has an outstanding academic record - he is among six students in Malaysia who obtained 14 A1s.

His mother, Madam Tan Lee Mei, said her son had plans to study medicine, and had received numerous academic awards throughout his school years.

According to The Star, there were three students with 16 A1s, two with 15 A1s, six with 14 A1s, 41 with 13 A1s and 229 with 12 A1s in last year's SPM. Some 15,084 students applied for scholarships under the PSD's foreign degree programme.

Of these, 8,363 were interviewed.

Two thousand scholarships were offered to candidates to pursue their undergraduate education in local universities.

Unsuccessful candidates have until 18 May to appeal.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
makapa. this is about matland lah. anyway, after this newspaper report, our garment is going to swoop in to offer all these poor souls scholarship all the way to PhDs.

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's because she's Chinese. It is a well known fact that in Malaysia, the Chinese are sidelined by their own Government.

Most of the places in universities are given to the Bumis then to the Chinese.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
singaporeans should always be grateful to our world class governance and first class democracy and high standards of honesty, fairness, integrity and incorruptibility. we are living in a great country run and managed by great talents and gifted scholars. we should be eternally be grateful to have so many ministers and senior ministers to take care of our country and we have one greatest statesman of all time - our mm lee - to help govern this wonderful city. don't u feel grateful and lucky to live here?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I should start company that liase such people over here !

PAP loves them and at the same time allow a pre-dug hole for Singapore to bury Malaysia !

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You not bumi / non-Malay ! We void your application ! We give to Locals !

Your application fee can be used for our quaterly Dinner and dance for our Kementerian Pelajaran Malaysia

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont think the m'sian govt is that bad. I hv seen many m'sian chinese studying o'seas under their govt scholarship ofcourse these were the trusted one. But majority who recv'd scholarship betrayed their govt, badmouth the malays and their govt to the ang moh. Some jumped ship and did not return and some make it a stepping stone to become singapore ministar....if u r the govt do u give such ppl who probabilty of stabbing you is 999999%

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Medicine. They want ONLY medicine. That is why they never get. If they ask for other courses like Engineering or Business, they should have not problem I think.

prince123456

Alfrescian
Loyal
Medicine. They want ONLY medicine. That is why they never get. If they ask for other courses like Engineering or Business, they should have not problem I think.

yes.. they love medicine cos can jump ship and go overseas.
plus can surrender their citizen and waste tax money.

malaysian student attitude love medicine so can show off.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Malaysia and Singapore Universities should just take in 2,000 medicine students a year per Uni for the next 5 years. After that see who still want to go medicine. Those who still want, are then the genuine ones, not the glory hounds.