• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shackled by their criminal past

youallhumsup

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shackled by their criminal past

December 31, 2012 - 1:51am

By: Syahirah Anwar

019519cd.jpg

TNP PICTURE: Gary Goh

MOST of the job interviews he goes to end abruptly. It is not because he is unsuitable for the job.

Rather, it is because Paul (not his real name), 38, had been to prison. In 1994, Paul was jailed five years for intent to rape his then-girlfriend and for drug charges.

Since his release in 1999, when he fills up job applications, he usually admits that he had been jailed. That is when the awkward moment comes during job interviews.

Said Paul: “I don’t want to lie and (I) make it a point to tell my potential employer of my convictions.

“But the moment I tell them, they either just end the interview immediately or tell me they can’t hire me.”

Paul is just one of many ex-convicts here who say being honest can mean not being hired.

Read the full report in The New Paper on Monday (Dec 31).

Hudson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moral of the story - Sometimes it does not pay to be too honest.

Singapore is a very unforgiving country.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moral of the story - Sometimes it does not pay to be too honest.

Singapore is a very unforgiving country.

Who in right mind will employ a rapist ? The women in the company will freak out. At least if commit other less serious crimes, companies may consider but rapist are just not possible. Best he starts a small business where his past is not so big an issue.

My previous company took in a staff with a record - he "harbored illegal immigrants". He was an exemplary staff with a great attitude and no one minded his past as it was a one off incident and not considered dangerous. So I don't think its fair to label all Singapore companies as unforgiving.