• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SGH 1st magnet hospital? Any SGH horror stories to share?

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
My dad was diagnosed with cancer last year. He did a scan and waited 2 weeks to see a consultant who then told us that we are transfered to cancer dept and it stage 4. An appt was made.

However he was warded a week due to respiratory problems before the appt. Throughout the week, it's a nightmare for us. He is only given drip and protein and nothing else. SGH is flooded with overworked docs and dogs. One of them screwed up giving me the excuse that he was made to work 72hrs. It's amazing that as doctors they are stressed to a point that they can screwed up. Throughout the week we asked to be updated. My Dad's Dog in Charge was never available sending only houseman and MOs to attend to us saying they are part of a team (NO ACCOUNTABILITY!)

After he is discharged, we when to see his Dog in Charge (TWO MONTHS AFTER HE WAS DIAGNOSIS WITH CANCER) and was told he got less than a year and he got to wait for a month before he can get his chemo. We are assured that he wouldn't get past 3 cycles of chemo

Pissed, we switched to private hospital which costs us an arm and a leg. He was immediately given chemo the next day. 1 year passed with more than 10 cycles of chemo, his cancer is under controlwith his cancer index hovering around 5.4

This year he went to A&E again at Sun 0600hrs as his leg got swollen and is constantly in pain . A&E suspected infection and give him antibiotics. They then suspect blood clot and on monday evening they did a scan.

A doc called me with this update on Mon morn promising me they will call on tue which they never did. I got different version of stories from nurses and did not want to get any more info from them. I asked for docs only excuses is they are busy. When I insisted I was given only houseman a lady from mynmar. Pain was so unbearable for my dad that they give him morphine.
On tuesday I kick up a fuss that nothing was being done. My dad was then started to another course of antibiotics. They also give him med for blood clots. On Wed again we go in the morning to see a doc, they promised to draw samples from his knees. This they did on wed night.

On Thurday we went to see a doc and was told infection is very bad and operation is required. My dad had been having pain and fever for 4 days, did not eat much and had not eaten for the past 29 hours. It was real bad

Again I kick up a fuss asking for someone and again I was given a houseman. I insisted on knowing the name of the consultant in charge and was refused again and again. So secretive. Finally they push me to the surgeon. Ops was only carried out at 11pm ending at 2am plus.

This morning the same DOG (Bitch) -in charge threaten to report me to the police. She dared me to go to the newspapers. She ask me to call (her) than change the word to us without any contact numbers SO SINCERE?

My questions to COW are

1. Why are there no accountability?
2. Why are the operations of a hospital so secretive that names cannot be given?
3. Why are there no comms process established between customers and them?
4. Why are we paying singdollars and getting indians, sri lakans and mynmar docs?
5. What happen to our world class medical institution?
6. What kind of dog would threaten a customer even though the fault does not lies with the customer?

:cool:

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was about a year ago that the pharmacist error was shown in the news. Honestly, who u are at the Gen Hospitals is very impt. If you a VIP, you will be seen right away AND treated right away.... 1st world country, 3rd world treatment...

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
1st world country 1st world prices 3rd world doctors 3rd world treatment. Why are we so powerless?

Last edited:

NoOnEsAwMe

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think u either had too much faith in govt hospital, or thought too highly of SGH and the like.

either way, one phrase - "pay peanuts, get monkeys".

c'mon.. your dad had cancer - hey, it's a serious ailment, and u put him in SGH.

and later u could afford to transfer him to a private hospital, albeit cost of an arm and leg - but hey, u could afford it right?

this is the harsh reality of our healthcare - if u can afford to pay, for serious illness, better go private.
if u cannot afford to pay.. oh well, u only go SGH if you're LKY himself.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any bros got any suggestions?

Go to Malaysia, many Sporeans & Indonesians are already doing doing that. They recently had a story on CNA about how much cheaper it is over there compared to Spore. The hospitals there really appreciate Spore patients $$$.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
my friend with stomach cancer flies to bangkok for treatment at 1/3-1/4 of singapore's price (incl stay and tickets and recovery for chemo). Much much better service and professional service.

with singapore government service going down the drain, better to check out overseas treatment.

somemore if LKY in SGH, all resources will be focused in 1 ward only

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just like another forumer suggest. If the price too high can go to Thailand Bangkok/ Malaysia in KL/Penang or JB the nearest just 1 hour drive without traffic jam. Cost figure is the same just different currency. They will treat you like real customer.
Next generation or another 10 years many will have to suicide because cannot afford medical fee.
Bring in FT to help hospital but the cost keep going UP UP Up. Before FT cost more affordable.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Why are there no accountability?
5. What happen to our world class medical institution?

heard from inner dogs' circle that dogs normally view cancer cases with disdain_ you rush to treat the patients, the end result the same, you pay much attention, the end result also same, so better go slow and don't put so much attention

dogs prefer to treat ah pek's constipation

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
Without accountability who can we nail? They can still dare us to go to the papers. They know that we are powerless! All the secrecy about who is in charge!

End of the day all of us will need medical care!

Write in to the Minister of Health

[email protected]

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard that it depends on what kind of ward you are in. If you are admitted in a "C" ward, they operating surgeons are usually the fresh grads with little or no experience. The "senior" aka consultant will supervise.

They treat C ward patients as guinea pigs.

Everything happened in the OT is a close door matter. No accountability, coz' the kangaroo court will protect them.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you need to get the priorities right 1st which is to move your dad to another hospital and also bring his medical files over. As for your grudge with that doctor, that one can wait lah

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
you write disrespectfully with contempt and disdain....about doctors and call them dogs....you think it's right and proper to do that?

your character mirrors what you will get in life...

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
you write disrespectfully with contempt and disdain....about doctors and call them dogs....you think it's right and proper to do that?

your character mirrors what you will get in life...

From his encounters with docs, it is appropriate to call them dogs. Wait till u hear what ppl call lawyers.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
SGH is a very "political" hospital. All the doctors are fighting for their own survival daily.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the same thing happen in ployclinic level too. Now there a new ruling, ppl are turn away after 10.30am due to "huge crowd" and told to be back after 1.30pm to registered for the afternoon. The nurse in charge drunk with her own authority told me to go back after 1.30pm despite i reach the polyclinic at ard 10.45am. i insist to be allow the register as i am not going to waste time and money to go home. She threaten me that she will make sure i will the last patient to see the doc since i insist on cutting "queue". i told her first i willing to be the last patient for the morning session and i am not cutting queue as the afternoon registration only start after 1.30pm.
i insist as a citizen, i am entitled to public healthcare at anytime i like and not imposed timing by the healthcare worker. hello, ppl sick leh, come here for treatment. it not like i have nothing better to do, go ployclinic to pass time.
anyway, i was allow in as they can see they cannot brush me off like other stupid sporeans. The huge crowd was a BS, i only spend more time, abt an hour, to register as there only 4 counters open, and they purposely make sure i am the last to register despite there are other who came in later than me from the elderly homes. after that, another 20min wait for the doc again i am the last patient and collect the medications by 12.30pm.
i think it very wrong to cut registration at 1030, too early liao. at least 1130 to be more fair both patients and healthcare workers. The farking nurse told me with a straight face that the new ruling appear in their website. i told her must be stupid to expect ppl to see polyclinic website every time they unwell. keep saying i am unreasonable, i told her i am sick so expect medical treatment from public healthcare, which by the way is not free, be unreasonable.