• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SG X-tians dont like other religions

JPMorgan888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Clergy 'wary of inter-faith talks'
Wed, Sep 03, 2008
AsiaOne
By Li Xueying

THE bulk of Christian clergymen in Singapore are apprehensive about inter-faith dialogue, said a sociologist who is also a Pentecostal church pastor.

Dr Mathew Mathews came to this conclusion after conducting a survey of clergymen here.

One of its key findings: Nearly 50 per cent feared inter-faith dialogue would compromise their religious convictions.

So much for peaceful and tolerent singapore. Somebody is going to be called up for tea. Somebody

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Inter faith dialogue ??? ........ Christian Faith focuses on ONE TRUE GOD (who is jesus) and evangalism(saving other sinners) ! I think they are barking up the wrong treeeeeeeeeee !

So by asking them to participate in Interfaith dialogues, it as good as telling Christian that there is other god as well. Other gods are true also ! You want the clergy man to evangalise otheer leaders from other faith also ?

shining shin

Alfrescian
Loyal
So much for peaceful and tolerent singapore. Somebody is going to be called up for tea. Somebody

i think the x-tian clergies are afraid other religious leader asking them about their bmw and bunglow. :eek: never understand why they can preach about after life while living such 'more than above average income' kinda life.

sort of in the same bin as politicians...:p

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not know what is the government's definition of inter-faith dialogue but to me, inter-faith dialogue simply means that i know you exist, you have your own opinion about your faith. Whilst I feel that I have the one true faith and yours is not, yet you have the right to your faith and me, mine.

And perhaps if we hit sensitive spots, we can dialogue about bmws, private condos and compare notes on how much you earn and how many properties you develop. Politics however is a no-no.

Other no-go areas are swiss bank accounts and techniques on persuading the sheep to part with their money.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok...now on a serious note:

(1) i think it is not fair to single out christians because the same survey was not done for other religions

(2) you are probably referring to the mega-protestant churches and if you mentioned bmw, then you are referring to only one particular mega-church leader

but not all churches are like that

and quite a number of pastors live simply and practice a balanced budget...in fact i heard of one pastor who actually informed the entire church that he is taking out $5,000 for a project and at the end of the project, he said he spent $x and is now returning the rest to the kitty.

Come on, $5000! But that is how seriously he is avoiding the temptation to rationalize it into a scumptious dinner.

To those who dislike christians and i am sure there are valid reasons, I would like to apologize to you on their behalf for the hurts caused to you.

Please don't let them taint your entire experience with christianity.

Tehsisiudai

Alfrescian
Loyal

(1) i think it is not fair to single out christians because the same survey was not done for other religions

(2) you are probably referring to the mega-protestant churches and if you mentioned bmw, then you are referring to only one particular mega-church leader

and quite a number of pastors live simply and practice a balanced budget...in fact i heard of one pastor who actually informed the entire church that he is taking out $5,000 for a project and at the end of the project, he said he spent $x and is now returning the rest to the kitty.

Come on, $5000! But that is how seriously he is avoiding the temptation to rationalize it into a scumptious dinner.

To those who dislike christians and i am sure there are valid reasons, I would like to apologize to you on their behalf for the hurts caused to you.

nice 1 bro

vinz_lim

Alfrescian
Loyal

agree with you. Actually i think the talk is not needed. As long as people live harmoniously (ie. did not talk about their faith), there is no need for organising the talk.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

I very much believe inter-faith talks are very important. Those who oppose are those who are very conservative and hence more suspicious. But there's nothing to fear nor lose when all faiths come and talk about common issues.

Common sense is in everyone's thinking anyway.

JPMorgan888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even the Iraqis are more tolerent than us

Iraqi archbishop sends message to Muslim leaders for Ramadan

Rome, Sep 2, 2008 / 11:28 am (CNA).- The Archbishop of Kirkuk, Iraq, Louis Sako, addressed the city’s Islamic leaders yesterday on the occasion of the beginning Ramadan. During his speech, the prelate prayed for goodness, brotherhood and peace between Christians and Muslims around the world.

According to the Italian Bishops’ news agency, Servizio Informazione Religiosa, the archbishop opened his address by sending, “my beloved Muslim brothers and sisters, my most heart-felt congratulations and best wishes for the beginning of the blessed month of Ramadan.”

He continued, “As you know, Ramadan is an extended time of prayers, fasting and charity. It is a month of sacrifices and good deeds. As the holy Koran says, ‘Then shall anyone who has done an ounce of good see it! And anyone who has done an ounce of evil, shall see it’ (99:7-8).”

The prelate encouraged the leaders to “invoke God the Almighty that He may accept your devout obedience and ensure for the Iraqi nation the peace that is the foundation of goodness and brotherhood between us, and that He may remove violence, hostility and conflict from us.” He also called on Christians to “join their Muslim brothers, so that God will ensure peace and stability to all of us.”

The archbishop finished his statement by asking Christians to respect the Muslim devotions of fasting during this time by “not eating in public and dressing properly.”

“May God the Almighty bless us all, each other’s brothers and sisters,” the archbishop said.