• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - Permanently crippled after an accident and losing her job, she now dedicates her life to helping poor seniors living in rental flats

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

She acts as daughter to seniors living alone in rental flats​

aasenior11112023.jpg

Ms Priscilla Ong with a rental flat resident from Yishun whom she affectionately calls "smiley auntie" (left), and with another rental flat resident Mr Toh. PHOTOS: COURTESY OF PRISCILLA ONG
AK_sa_170122.png

Shermaine Ang (chiobu!)
UPDATED

NOVEMBER 13, 2023 AT 8:02 PM

FacebookX

SINGAPORE – To seniors living alone in Housing Board rental flats in Yishun, Ms Priscilla Ong is more than just a volunteer.
The 41-year-old is part-daughter, part-24-hour helpline to the lonely elders of blocks 436 and 438, even putting herself down as their next of kin to help them settle their affairs before the end of their lives.
In March, she started an emergency fund to help them foot their medical expenses and cab fare to appointments after noticing that they often put off seeing a doctor when they fell sick as they could not afford it.
“They’re all above 75 years old. Many of them are not in the best of health and are in and out of hospital. I feel that it’s a good thing to be there for them.”
These efforts are part of the former infant care teacher’s initiative Project Love Lunch, which she started in 2014 to provide free food to children who were showing up to class hungry.
But in 2016, Ms Ong met with a car accident which left her barely able to walk.

She was two days away from being promoted to senior teacher, but had to quit as she was unable to keep on teaching.

Get a round-up of the top stories to start your day
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and T&Cs.
She now uses a mobility scooter to get around.
Her partner, who works in information technology, is the family’s sole breadwinner. Her daughter, Stephanie, 20, is interested in studying early childhood education, while her son, Zechariah, 22, will be signing on to the army.
“I could have thrown in the towel then and said ‘forget it’, but when I thought of my own pupils who really benefited a lot from what I’d done for them, I decided to keep going differently,” she said, referring to her volunteer effort.

Ms Ong’s mother, who died when she was 12, is her inspiration.
“She was the most selfless person I have ever known,” she said.
She recalled how her mother, a staff sergeant in the Singapore Armed Forces, kept a metal box filled with cash at work in Seletar Camp so that any national serviceman who was short of cash could take from it.
Wanting to ensure that children living in rental flats had a happy childhood, Ms Ong delivered gifts to them on Children’s Day and during Christmas, and organised carnivals with games and prizes for them.
pris_0.jpg

Ms Priscilla Ong (left) with volunteer Danica Tan and Ms Tan’s daughter, Elise. PHOTO: COURTESY OF PRISCILLA ONG
She also reached out to elderly residents who asked if they could have a share of the food that volunteers were giving out.
She now serves about 400 rental block residents in Yishun, Marsiling and Sengkang, together with about 20 volunteers and a core team of 10.
More than the food, their monthly visits became the highlight of the seniors’ days. “It really hit me when we went back to the block after Covid-19 and they said: ‘We missed you, why didn’t you come down?’
“Being able to see us once a month is heartwarming for them. They feel the love.”
2023111185892051img8212_1.jpg

Ms Priscilla Ong serves about 400 rental block residents in Yishun, Marsiling and Sengkang, together with about 20 volunteers and a core team of 10. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM
As a full-time volunteer, Ms Ong spends her days handling food drop-offs, coordinating deliveries of groceries and household items, and raising funds.
But her condition is getting worse, and doctors have advised her to slow down. “My doctor told me to take it easy. But I want to do what I still can until I cannot.”
She hopes her daughter, who has gone along on her visits since she was nine, can take over as the lead for Project Love Lunch in the future.
steph_1.jpg

Ms Priscilla Ong’s daughter, Ms Stephanie Ong, with a rental flat resident in Yishun. PHOTO: COURTESY OF PRISCILLA ONG
Ms Ong has grown close to the rental flat residents over the last eight years.
She recounted how one of them, Mr Francis Chee, baked a banana cake for her and other volunteers when he learnt that she liked it.
“It’s a way of showing that they care, and they don’t want to feel that they are just asking for handouts. They also want to feel that they are useful.”
Mr Chee, a 65-year-old retiree, enjoys the monthly catch-ups with Ms Ong and the volunteers at the staircase while waiting for deliveries. “She’s a lovely lady, very kind,” he said.
Ms Ong has lost count of the number of elderly residents she has said her final farewell to.
“It’s devastating to lose one after another, but I still have to be there for the rest,” she said.
She added: “I always tell volunteers not to cry in front of the elderly, but to go downstairs first, because it affects them a lot. They don’t need your tears; they need your listening ears.
“My main goal now is to ensure that I’m there for my elderly residents till the end. I don’t want them to leave the world alone. I want them to know that there are still people who care for them.”

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/she-acts-as-daughter-to-seniors-living-alone-in-rental-flats

oliverlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cheebai PAP. It takes a cripple to attend to these compatriots when you cannot be bothered even with the million dollars pay that you're getting?
why bother when they can shiok shiok line their coffers? if any of them had a conscience, they would have all done social work.
Politics is for hard core cheebais

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
In any other first world country, accident victim crippled until like that will be living a life of luxury from proceeds of the lawsuit. But not this alleged first world country

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This kind soul is doing real social work on the ground. All those multi millionaire Ministers don't even know there are multitudes of seniors so poor they will not go and see a doctor because they don't have taxi fare to get to the doctor and also cannot afford to buy medicine. PAP dare to POFMA her or not? This is the reality in Singapore. And the Cheebye PAP will spend $1.5 billion on a German submarine which the cheebye Bargain Hen calls the BMW of submarines. Can you imagine $1.5 billion spend on these seniors? It's enough to pay for every single senior's doctor taxi fare and medicine cost for the next 10 years. Fucking retard Sinkies vote for this cheebye Govt.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
So fat eat all day.
Stuffycunt, she is a cripple, you fucktard. Do u see her riding her scooter or not. Hard for crippled people to walk much less exercise. At least she is fat and she can always fix her weight problem. But you are retarded, and cannot fix your brain problem.

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stuffycunt, she is a cripple, you fucktard. Do u see her riding her scooter or not. Hard for crippled people to walk much less exercise. At least she is fat and she can always fix her weight problem. But you are retarded, and cannot fix your brain problem.
Totally agree.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Her partner, who works in information technology, is the family’s sole breadwinner. Her daughter, Stephanie, 20, is interested in studying early childhood education, while her son, Zechariah, 22, will be signing on to the army.

Glad to know her sex life has not been hindered by her disability. :thumbsup:

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
:thumbsup: