• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - Malaysian Chicken Farmer on the chicken export ban to Sg

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
symphix
·1 day ago·edited 20 hr. ago

And don’t forget there was the subsidy that we chicken farmers filed for (yes, I’m a farmer so it’s to add substance to your statements). With the rising feed price (it’s now on average of RM51.40 for a 40kg bag of a non-descript feed), the ceiling price and now the export ban isn’t helping myself in the upstream and my contracting customer downstream. They don’t profit and we’re holding this burdening expense that they can hold off on.
The subsidy is just enough to cover labor costs for the 45-day cycle that my 4 house with two floor farm goes through. To say that the intention to cover the cost of food for this place is laughable at best.
I understand Malaysia needs better food security but this should have been the priority of the government since the Badawi era. They keep talking about it. I’ve been to several talks and workshops set by the government on their dairy line (yes, I am involved in the dairy and beef industry too) that keeps pushing for greater food security. In spite of the NFC scandal, food security is a salient point but they keep rewarding idiots and government waste that the government never reaches its targeted goal as they profited in other stupid ways.
With the war, I just take it as a matter of fact that this happened and all I can do is sigh, put on my Phua Chu Kang boots, and feed my chickens. It’s a chicken and egg situation for everyone. Raise the price and a common commodity is too expensive for those who used to rely on it. That also hurts the farmers and the contract companies and the merchants too when people buy less. The ceiling makes sense in that retrospect. But you cannot have the ceiling and an export ban at the same time. We need alternative markets to make ends meet and shutting down pathways while putting a cap on prices doesn’t help.
It’s frustrating for Singaporeans.
It’s frustrating for Malaysians.
Heck, Indonesians too… (rip their oil foods issue)
But as a farmer… this is just too hard…