• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SG govt is spying on Facebook users

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Singapore among world governments that requested Facebook details about users[/h]
<!--start of story text-->By Derrick Ho

Government agencies from around the world, including those from Singapore, requested information on more than 38,000 Facebook users in the first half of this year, the tech giant revealed on Wednesday.

Among them was the Singapore Government who made some 107 requests on 117 individuals over the six- month period, Facebook said in its first global government requests report. The company complied with 70 per cent of these requests.

Out of the 71 countries Facebook listed, the highest number of requests came from the US government, in which it demanded that the company hand over data on as many as 21,000 users. The UK authorities made requests on 2,237 users. In Asia, the Indian authorities topped the list of requests made. It made 3.245 requests on over 4,100 accounts. Facebook received seven requests on 197 accounts from the Malaysian authorities.

In its report, Facebook did not specify the types of requests it received from each government or what type of information it handed over. However, it did say that the "vast majority" of the information these authorities sought pertained to criminal cases such as robberies or kidnapping. Requests on national security matters also featured in the list, it added.

<!--end of story text-->Copyright © 2013 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spy on me lah! Impress me and let's see how you extract my personal information from Facebook.

I have no Facebook account. :cool:

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think Facebook would grant request for identity of someone who express an opinion against thegovt.

W shshould be grateful for the transparency on the part of Facebook. They Singapore should itself be more transparent on the request it makes to Facebook and Google otherwise there will be distust by citizens who think the pap is using such request against its political opponents and critics for the purpose of maintaining power through unfair means. It does not help the to act in secrecy when Facebook has already exposed their requests

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think Facebook would grant request for identity of someone who express an opinion against thegovt.

W shshould be grateful for the transparency on the part of Facebook. They Singapore should itself be more transparent on the request it makes to Facebook and Google otherwise there will be distust by citizens who think the pap is using such request against its political opponents and critics for the purpose of maintaining power through unfair means. It does not help the to act in secrecy when Facebook has already exposed their requests

Mark Zuckerberg is still a weasel and I don't trust him.

RODYK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having a Facebook account is a ticket to where others got a chance to grab your pain leg.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal

Facebook has never been transparent. They are forced to make such numbers public now after the Snowden data revealed that FB is providing information to governments. Anybody who thinks a facebook page is private and confidential needs to gets his head checked.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's no secret that the PAP "fixes" the opposition. It might have worked in the past but the the problem LHL faces is not from the opposition parties but from the unhappy masses.

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear bro Topsage, please go read the book, The No Nonsense Guide to Global Surveillance, and you will understand the whole story.

Even US, European, Australian, NZ govts are spying on their citizens without constraints, what of......

...what is trust and distrust in this age of internet, Goggle, RDIDs and the latest in nanotechnology???? ...The era of BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING is already here and now...:eek::eek::eek:

....we are all naked, with or without FB, internet accounts....:o

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having a Facebook account is a ticket to where others got a chance to grab your pain leg.
facebook account is not the issue. It is the information, photos and links to friends that may give you trouble in future.

If PAP govt only asked to see a few hundred facebook accounts, I can still think that it is for terrorism related activities.

But to ask to see 38000 accounts? Sounds like much more than terrorism.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear bro Topsage, please go read the book, The No Nonsense Guide to Global Surveillance, and you will understand the whole story.

Even US, European, Australian, NZ govts are spying on their citizens without constraints, what of......

...what is trust and distrust in this age of internet, Goggle, RDIDs and the latest in nanotechnology???? ...The era of BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING is already here and now...:eek::eek::eek:

....we are all naked, with or without FB, internet accounts....:o

It's one thing for the shady powers-that-be to spy on you.

It's another thing to voluntarily offer every single piece of personal information to the world and let corporations and govt spy agencies data mine the shit out of you.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
facebook account is not the issue. It is the information, photos and links to friends that may give you trouble in future.

But a Facebook account is precisely the platform, the vehicle for information, photos and links to friends.

Even the 'Like's you've clicked, the things you declare to be interested in can easily map out the real you.

No one really needs Facebook. Most people who get on Facebook are voyeurs, narcissists or insecure people desperate for social acceptance.