• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Service charges VS tipping

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
can't help but noticed a large number of F&B outlets charges service charges...

but is there a law that states that we must pay the service charges? can we refuse to pay the service charges indicated in the bill?

i was thinking a tipping culture could and better promote better service standards in our F&B outlets... what's your take? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All people have choice. Why complaint service charge and GST since most know already before they eat?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
All people have choice. Why complaint service charge and GST since most know already before they eat?

imagine you're stepping into a fine dining restaurant for the first time, expecting good service and good food, and you're greeted with lousy service and lousy food, would you still pay the service charge?

GST is payable because i think there's a law governing so, but is there a requirement to pay for the service charge indicated in the bill? that's my question. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
these are two seperate items. u need to pay gst for service charge isn't it? :eek::eek::eek:

that reminds me...

some F&B charges like this:

100 bucks for food,
10 bucks for service charge,
7 bucks for GST.
total is 117 bucks

some others charges like this

100 bucks for food,
7.7 for GST
total is 117.70 bucks

why such discrepancies? :confused::eek::confused::eek:

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
that reminds me...

100 bucks for food,
7 bucks for GST.
total is 117 bucks

100 bucks for food,
7.7 for GST
total is 117.70 bucks

the first one they round down the value. the 2nd one is they charge u the full amount. it depend on company policy right? :p:p:p

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
that reminds me...

100 bucks for food,
7 bucks for GST.
total is 117 bucks

100 bucks for food,
7.7 for GST
total is 117.70 bucks

The second one is correct. GST as you know means Goods and Services Tax (some say gasak semua tax :eek:), so you pay 7% on the food (goods) and 7% on the service charge.

If we revert to tipping, there are no records and so the gahmen will lose out on the revenue collected from service tax.

The possible loophole Zhihau has pointed out as to whether we are legally bound to pay the service charge, I am not sure and cannot answer that. The question also follows is, if we are allowed to with hold paying the service charge, then are we also legally not liable to pay the service tax?

wayway

Alfrescian
Loyal
The so called service charge is a scam by some restaurant owners to charge more.I know as I was in the service industry.
If I am not mistaken the service charge was originally meant to be distributed to service charge instead of depending on customer's tips.Are service charges really distributed back to the service staff?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't people realise they can AVOID the establishments that charge service charge? Its their money & these days its getting harder to earn $$.

Time consumers push back. :rolleyes:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Don't people realise they can AVOID the establishments that charge service charge? Its their money & these days its getting harder to earn $$.

Time consumers push back. :rolleyes:

is it even a legal requirement for consumers to pay any service charges in the first place?

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal

but is there a law that states that we must pay the service charges? can we refuse to pay the service charges indicated in the bill?

i was thinking a tipping culture could and better promote better service standards in our F&B outlets... what's your take? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Like it or not, restaurants in most countries uses tips to supplement their employees' income.

If restaurants in Singapore were to revert to tipping, their employees will suffer. Asians are generally lousy tippers. The generous tippers are usually VERY VERY generous, but they are far in between.

Tipping is a culture. It is not going to happen overnight. It works in North America because a lot of people had waited on tables at least once in their lifetime. It is a common way to pay for college, or a second job to supplement their income. They understand and appreciate the service they get, and they tip accordingly.

Then, if you look at countries with no service charge and tipping is not expected, the wages earned by the service staff is usually higher. This usually means we pay more for our food as well.

My personal preference? No service charge and no tips. Let the restaurants pay their staff what they deserve, and we consumers will pay for what we eat.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tipping is meant to be voluntary, but in many European and American Restaurants it is almost expected as a right.

Problem is many Asian tourists (SG, Malaysians etc) do not tip because they will never ever return to that restaurant again. As a result the 'offended' waiters do not give 'good service' by ignoring all "Asian" tourist diners who show up on free and easy tours.

The only time tipping is useful is when a horny male diner is hoping to impress a 'chio' waitress and get a date.

I am against the culture of tipping. The owner of the restaurant should pay their waiters well and charge the price accordingly on the menu. One pays for what is listed on the menu and nothing more to avoid misunderstanding. Waiters who give lousy service should have their employment terminated.

The worst system is when they charge you a hefty price for the peanuts, tea and towel and then charge an additional 10% service charge and finally a GST component on the peanuts/tea/towel and service charge.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that reminds me...

100 bucks for food,
7 bucks for GST.
total is 117 bucks

100 bucks for food,
7.7 for GST
total is 117.70 bucks

y muz dey tel u dey hv included service charges? ...

y dun dey juz simply say ...

110 bugs 4 eating n drinking here,
7.7 4 bugs gst
total is 117.70 bugs

? ...

jw5

Loyal

A tipping culture would improve service standards, but knowing Singkie customers, they will probably give zero tips.