• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serial Numbers On Ballot Papers Ensure Election's Integrity and Accountability!

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Voting in Singapore is secret. The serial numbers on ballot papers are very important as they ensure the Election's integrity and accountability so that people will vote responsibly. Should there be a shocking freak election result, there should be a thorough investigationt. This is done for the sake of our National Security.

The serial numbers on ballot papers enable strict accounting of all ballot papers issued and cast. That way, the number of papers found in the ballot box at the end of the election can be reconciled with the number of papers issued during the poll and the number of papers stocked before the poll began. This is a means to deal with the threat of ballot boxes being stuffed with false ballot papers.

Ballot papers have to be numbered to provide evidence if there is an allegation of impersonation, i.e. that a voter has cast his vote pretending to be someone else. This is done if the court orders so, by matching the suspicious ballot paper with the counterfoil, on which the voter's registration number is recorded. If proven, the vote can then be subtracted from the declared election results. Without the serial number on the ballot paper, it will be difficult to establish such an allegation, and to adjust the declared election results accordingly.

While some argue that it would be better to nullify an entire election if there is any such electoral fraud, calling for a fresh election would be too costly for taxpayers and traumatic for the electorates if there are only a few allegations of impersonation.

So, is ballot secrecy compromised by reason of having a serial number?
Theoretically, it is possible for anyone with access to the ballot papers to identify who cast a particular vote. The link between the ballot paper number and the electoral register through the counterfoil does facilitate tracing from a ballot paper to a voter's identity on the register. However, ballot papers can be examined only under strict conditions, and there are safeguards that make it extremely difficult to find out how any particular voter voted.

After the ballot papers are counted, all ballot papers and their counterfoils have to be sealed in the Supreme Court vault for 6 months, after which all the ballot papers and other election documents are destroyed. During those 6 months, these documents can only be retrieved by court order. The court will issue such an order only if it is satisfied that a vote has been fraudulently cast and the result of the election may be affected as a result. Our courts have issued no such order to date.

The serial number on the ballot paper is to protect the integrity of the democratic process, and not to undermine the secrecy of the vote.

The ballot paper number is still a feature of UK parliamentary and local government elections.

Last edited:

Soul_Reaper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Voting in Singapore is secret. The serial numbers on ballot papers are very important as they ensure the Election's integrity and accountability so that people will vote responsibly.

Got serial number so what?
You can have my NRIC and contact number too.
I will write them down on the ballot paper so you know that I voted for the Opposition !!

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
This serial number will only instill fear in the uneducated Ah Beng

They will fear for their jobs, welfare handouts and be afraid of getting tekan in NS

If you are a winner, you don't give a shit about this little X you put on a ballot paper

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will write them down on the ballot paper so you know that I voted for the Opposition !!

You retarded gay dog:oIo:

Why don't you write down your name and IC number here:mad:

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal

They will fear for their jobs, welfare handouts and be afraid of getting tekan in NS

If you are a winner, you don't give a shit about this little X you put on a ballot paper

You spastic maggot:oIo::oIo:

Voting is secret but if a freak election result should transpire, it is in the everybody's interest to see who has been betraying our country.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....pse treat the voting procedure seriously.
mark the cross clearly within the box.
don't write anything more than the cross.
the ballot paper is considered as spolit if instructions are not followed.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

applause.gif

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
serial number so what

hougang and potong pasir residents voted for oppositions for 20+ years and PAP cannot do anything to them..

serial number , names whatever fuck, who cares, vote the PAP out

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Actually, not just the uneducated Ah Bengs. The Civil Servants or staff of Temasek Linked Companies and Stat Boards are also afraid.

I don't think PAP track them, but they still fear and so vote for PAP, even though they may not want to do so!

:smile:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't give two hoots about serial number. In fact I am going to use it to buy 4D on that day. I was worried there is no number and I may have to request one from the polling officer. If they want my signature on the ballot paper, I can give them too.