• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

sentosa cove

Harry Lee

Alfrescian
Loyal
From Feb 20 till Feb 28, 1942, several hundred Chinese civilians, bound hand and foot, and tied back-to-back in groups of three or four, were transported by the boat-loads from the docks at Tanjong Pagar to the surrounding waters.

There, in the open sea, they were hurled into the waters and fired upon by the Japanese captors. Many of the dead were swept out to the sea by strong currents.

slaughter2.jpg

Some 300 bodies were washed ashore by the tide to the island of Blakang Mati (Sentosa's old name). A memorial plaque (picture, above) site at Sentosa's Serapong Golf Course marks the massacre at sea.

http://ourstory.asia1.com.sg/war/headline/slaugther.html

Harry Lee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many people were taken onto boats by Japs and then shot and thrown into the sea off Pulau Blakang Mati, now called Sentosa, in Feb 1942.

Some bodies were washed to shore and buried by British soldiers still hiding on the island. (near the golf course)

A few years ago, more than 20 skeletons were found under the sand on the island..........police believe they were murder victims. The case remained unsolved.

To read more: see- IAN WARD, "The KIller they called a god"

Ever wonder why the island was called "back-death" by the Orang laut?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
already got residents complained to MPA that those boats passing buran channel making too much noise everyday. buran channel is the water way south of sentosa, a lot of small boats using the channel to travel from east to west and vice versa. a lot of those multi millions units facing the sea will have to face those noisy small boats passing too. so pay millions to enjoy the noise and those boat crew oogling at the residents there. :biggrin: :p :wink:

Oh I now see why the ferries go slow off Sentosa:eek:

Last time the ferries to Batam would go full throttle once they cleared t Harbour Pavillion

However, recently I noticed that the ferries now wait until they are pass Sentosa before doing so. :eek:

FuzzyDude

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh I now see why the ferries go slow off Sentosa:eek:

Last time the ferries to Batam would go full throttle once they cleared t Harbour Pavillion

However, recently I noticed that the ferries now wait until they are pass Sentosa before doing so. :eek:

If you are talking about full throttle once they cleared Harbour Pavillion, that was a long time ago, when habourfront was known as WTC...:smile:
I think it was the late 90s if I remember correctly, there was an accident involving Indo Falcon when another ferry was backing out. Traffic was too heavy...
After that incident, all ferries slow down near Harbourfront for safety...

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you are talking about full throttle once they cleared Harbour Pavillion, that was a long time ago, when habourfront was known as WTC...:smile:
I think it was the late 90s if I remember correctly, there was an accident involving Indo Falcon when another ferry was backing out. Traffic was too heavy...

The passage way is too slow and too narrow anyway, it takes about 10 minutes for me to clear harbourfront and buran channel everytime i head to the open seas fm harbour front and also bio the rich men's houses, no topless chicks sunbathing though :(

FuzzyDude

Alfrescian
Loyal
The passage way is too slow and too narrow anyway, it takes about 10 minutes for me to clear harbourfront and buran channel everytime i head to the open seas fm harbour front and also bio the rich men's houses, no topless chicks sunbathing though :(

Back then...there were talks about shifting all the ferry services to Tanah Merah but it never happen....
Supposedly its because Malaysia refused to vacate from Tanjong Pagar Railway station. :smile:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Back then...there were talks about shifting all the ferry services to Tanah Merah but it never happen....
Supposedly its because Malaysia refused to vacate from Tanjong Pagar Railway station. :smile:

The cruise liners will move to a new terminal at Marina South, not sure about the ferries though. I will hate to head into the open sea from Marina South cause its so damn far.

Now that Malaysia have 'given' us back the railway track lands, we will see new commercial and residential developments in TG Pagar area and also the closure of Keppel Terminal.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yah, the ferries slowed down near WTC but would pick up speed when they got out of the tiny channel, but recently noticed that they wait until they are clear of Sentosa before really opening up.

I think it has something to do with the "complaints" of noise:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I doubt it will ever happen.

If the indo tourists are diverted to Tanah Merah, who will shop in Harbour Pavillion Mall:confused: Same, same with the Cruise Centre. Will locals go to Harbor Pavillion to get their carrot chopped when it's easier to go to Orchard Rd:smile:

I've been there countless times to catch a ferry, but have never even window shopped at the shops that are there:o

How is the Tanjong Pagar issue related to Tanah Merah:confused:

FuzzyDude

Alfrescian
Loyal
I doubt it will ever happen.

If the indo tourists are diverted to Tanah Merah, who will shop in Harbour Pavillion Mall:confused: Same, same with the Cruise Centre. Will locals go to Harbor Pavillion to get their carrot chopped when it's easier to go to Orchard Rd:smile:

I've been there countless times to catch a ferry, but have never even window shopped at the shops that are there:o

How is the Tanjong Pagar issue related to Tanah Merah:confused:

Well, the reason for shifting ferry services to Tanah Merah was so WTC would become a cruise centre.. Keppel terminal would then be shifted to West Coast. and all the developments would follow.
But because of the Tanjong Pagar issue, everything was put on hold ....
Back then, I had to travel to batam everyday, imagine going to tanah merah everyday:(
Yah... looks like its not going to happen now.:smile:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The cruise liners will move to a new terminal at Marina South, not sure about the ferries though. I will hate to head into the open sea from Marina South cause its so damn far.

Now that Malaysia have 'given' us back the railway track lands, we will see new commercial and residential developments in TG Pagar area and also the closure of Keppel Terminal.

not only keppel, tangjong pagar and brani terminal too. the lease of the land will be expired in another 30 years time.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, the reason for shifting ferry services to Tanah Merah was so WTC would become a cruise centre.. Keppel terminal would then be shifted to West Coast. and all the developments would follow.
Back then, I had to travel to batam everyday, imagine going to tanah merah everyday:(

WTC or habour front will be phase out after the new cruise centre complete at marina south. its a big project with more bigger berth and deep water access with Eastern Fairway. the new cruise centre will be from marina south to where the finger pier used to be, right beside T1 berth. i think harbour front will still serve ferries rather than cruise ship in the future.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
not only keppel, tangjong pagar and brani terminal too. the lease of the land will be expired in another 30 years time.

It's beginning, everytime i head to the anchorage area i see the reclaimation at pasir panjang getting longer and bigger

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's beginning, everytime i head to the anchorage area i see the reclaimation at pasir panjang getting longer and bigger

yes, pasir panjang already got 20 over container berths and going to build more. tuas reclaimed land going to build another container port.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stupid bureaucrates got nothing better to do than think of ways to exploit Spore & Sporeans to make $$$.

I predict in 15 to 20 years time they will want to start moving things around again :eek:

Trouble is the real cost of all this moving around, construction, reconstruction is being borne by Sporeans & not the PAP :( Just look at what happened to the ferry fares:(

I've been to Tanah Merah to catch a ferry to Mersing & it's a pain to get to. If they are going to move the Batam ferry services there I would expect many Sporeans to simply choose alternative destinations like LOS or Malaysia.

CannonFairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pardon me for my ignorance. But personally I do not see why selling over-price bungalows built on rubbish-dump filled land to foreigners is considered a political scandal? Isn't that a good deal for Singapore?

PS: You encouraged netizens to participate in the discussions. I have finally signed-up and here I am. :smile:

Areopagus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Page H5 article.

Auditor sees flaws in govt accounts
Problems listed in latest report include uncollected monies

THE government financial watchdog's just-released annual report on the accounts of ministries and statutory boards says some of them were slow to collect money owed, overpaid salaries and failed to control people's access to computers.

It also identified problems in commercial transactions, including the way land was sold for the Sentosa Cove waterfront housing project, which it said would not be seen as transparent, fair and competitive.

For instance, land for 24 bungalows was sold in 2004 to the sole bidder, Ho Bee Group, at 'significantly below valuation' prices.

The Auditor-General said: 'The result of the tender was neither published nor was the required advice of the Chief Valuer obtained.'

It said a former director of Sentosa Cove was also allowed to tender for land sales through a company he controlled, 33 days after he retired from Sentosa Cove's board.

He was involved in deliberating on the land sales before he retired, it noted.
The Sentosa Development Corporation (SDC) replied that Sentosa Cove is a unique project unlike usual government land sales and needs the flexibility to deviate from some procedures.

The Finance Ministry agreed last month to exempt future Sentosa Cove land sales from these procedures, provided there is fair competition and transparency. It denied exemption to previous land sales.

SDC told The Straits Times: 'This was truly a case of an administrative lapse in procedures, which has since been rectified.'

Check out the election agents in the last election and you will know why people are asking questions.....

Pardon me for my ignorance. But personally I do not see why selling over-price bungalows built on rubbish-dump filled land to foreigners is considered a political scandal? Isn't that a good deal for Singapore?

PS: You encouraged netizens to participate in the discussions. I have finally signed-up and here I am. :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firstly welcome.

Tying the sale of PR rights with sale of property carries a big premium. A proper tender exercise should have be held so that the state receives it's fair share and not an individual aligned to the PAP. Someone has already poste the failure to tender.