• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Schools in Iskandar

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just Sharing...

Over the weekend my family went over to Fairview Int to check out the school.
Some of the comments from other family members... literally.

Wah the building so old
So "LOK"

Yes the building looks old..it cannot compare with SG Schools with nice facade...so the building factor is something i wouldn't want to consider. Other then that I am ok with the school. The school at most grades usually only have 1 class per grade. They Do have Chinese as 2nd Language. I believe if your child is a Malaysian...you would need to take Malay as 2nd Language. As for school fees, its as per website....per annum just multiply by 2...as 2 term per year.

Overall i am quite happy with it....the school got this kampong feel to it. At the end of the road we just need the O level Cert...and is from Cambridge so this is all that matters to me. I can't guarantee that this is the right school...my only believe is that schools teach children the right thing....if they even have time to teach. So this is a potential candidate for my kids this year.

And for those of ppl who are interested in the facade of schools or that teachers must be foreigners.....just to give you some insights....i was from an international school in KL....when i stopped schooling there go come SG...I as a KID, was very impressed with the school building, it looked really well built. Also i don't recall how many of my teachers were expat or foreigner..i remember mostly the Malay Indian teachers...all were locall. BTW this was quite a top end school back then and is still quite a reputable school. Unfortunately I cannot afford the school fees they are asking for.

Just Sharing.
Cheers

Obviously the so call reputative top international school fail you on your English.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just Sharing...

Over the weekend my family went over to Fairview Int to check out the school.
Some of the comments from other family members... literally.

Wah the building so old
So "LOK"

Yes the building looks old..it cannot compare with SG Schools with nice facade...so the building factor is something i wouldn't want to consider. Other then that I am ok with the school. The school at most grades usually only have 1 class per grade. They Do have Chinese as 2nd Language. I believe if your child is a Malaysian...you would need to take Malay as 2nd Language. As for school fees, its as per website....per annum just multiply by 2...as 2 term per year.

Overall i am quite happy with it....the school got this kampong feel to it. At the end of the road we just need the O level Cert...and is from Cambridge so this is all that matters to me. I can't guarantee that this is the right school...my only believe is that schools teach children the right thing....if they even have time to teach. So this is a potential candidate for my kids this year.

And for those of ppl who are interested in the facade of schools or that teachers must be foreigners.....just to give you some insights....i was from an international school in KL....when i stopped schooling there go come SG...I as a KID, was very impressed with the school building, it looked really well built. Also i don't recall how many of my teachers were expat or foreigner..i remember mostly the Malay Indian teachers...all were locall. BTW this was quite a top end school back then and is still quite a reputable school. Unfortunately I cannot afford the school fees they are asking for.

Just Sharing.
Cheers

Thanks for yr reply. Just called up Austin Heights international school. Apparently they do have Chinese as a subject! Really happy. Their fees are much lower than Fairview 350 sg compared to 1300 or promo 650 sg dollars per month.

Now only need to convince my hubby then maybe can retire there soon.

There are also Sg students in the school too!

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
On a more serious note, the standard of English in JB seems lower than KL, and of course SG. Chinese std is way higher than SG. Something for you to ponder over.

Interested on how you define that. Statistic? Or student's results?

In all seriousness, Marlborough College is the way to go for a proper English lessons. English just like any another languages where you need to practise it with the right teachers and people. Have fun hunting for new schools people.

29ers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Daydreamer...spot on. English was always something i struggled with but i can't be sure if it's the International School or the SG Govt school that was to blame.

Well if money was not an issue, i would definitely send my kids to Marlborough.

Cheers

In all seriousness, Marlborough College is the way to go for a proper English lessons. English just like any another languages where you need to practise it with the right teachers and people. Have fun hunting for new schools people.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Only based on my personal experience working with pple from KL and JB though. I have worked with at least 20-30 over the years (Poly & Uni).

KL pple, esp those from English medium schools, are not bad. For JB, I think there's a shortage of good English medium schools generally. The Kuan Zhong people are v smart overall, & gd in Chinese. But unless they come over to SG at least in their JC days, they are not as gd in English. In fact, a lot of the bright ones will further their studies in Taiwan, and eventually settle down over there.

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Daydreamer...spot on. English was always something i struggled with but i can't be sure if it's the International School or the SG Govt school that was to blame.

Cheers

I don't think they can afford the right people. I'm not sure how much is an average English teacher get pay in Singapore.

Marlborough Brit English teachers get at least RM160k+ per annum with accommodation. If you want your children to get the top jobs in the near future better invest on them.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers

I think learning of language very much depends on oneself, cannot entirely blame on school.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think they can afford the right people. I'm not sure how much is an average English teacher get pay in Singapore.

Marlborough Brit English teachers get at least RM160k+ per annum with accommodation. If you want your children to get the top jobs in the near future better invest on them.

Just found out about a uni in KL called IMU or International Medical University where their MBBS is recognised by SMC if you do their twinning program ie 2.5 years spent in a recognised overseas uni meaning graduates can work in Singapore as doctors. It is a private uni and entry requirements are just BBB or ABC for A levels. Costs about S$280k. There are some Singaporeans studying there already.
Hopefully my children can get in there if they do study in Malaysia.

Last edited:

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think learning of language very much depends on oneself, cannot entirely blame on school.

Completely agree with ginfreely. I did English Literature at A levels and in the class, I had classmates who did not come from English speaking household who scored pretty good grades. IMHO immersion is the best way to learn a language but really with TV, radio and the Internet, one can pick up any language at a very basic level. My two girls are K-pop crazy and they picked up Korean language by just watching the drama (which they know I am not happy about) and listening to the music. And today they speak to each other in whatever Korean words they know and just learnt; I think it's just hilarious.

29ers

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the English SUBJECT...from my observation, usually kids who read a lot do better then those who don't read much.

Anyway my time is running out, I will need to decide by March this year if i am going for the JB International School or the JB School Option. Will probably take a look at 1 - 2 more schools before making a decision.

Any feedback on Tenby? I am planning to visit this school next as it's the closet school from my place.

Cheers

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the English SUBJECT...from my observation, usually kids who read a lot do better then those who don't read much.

Anyway my time is running out, I will need to decide by March this year if i am going for the JB International School or the JB School Option. Will probably take a look at 1 - 2 more schools before making a decision.

Any feedback on Tenby? I am planning to visit this school next as it's the closet school from my place.

Cheers

I will opt for international school for the networking. I find kids generally need enrichment classes (e.g. for memory, music, languages, presentation and financial skills) on top of the routine school classes. There are limited resources and time a school can provide in its curriculum. You probably need to source for these private classes on your own.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
On a more serious note, the standard of English in JB seems lower than KL, and of course SG. Chinese std is way higher than SG. Something for you to ponder over.

It does seem so, we checked with a local mini academic outfit at Seri Alam that teaches Chinese language and the teacher also claimed that the Chinese standard in JB is higher than in Singapore. We were like "Oh issit? Wow. Great to be here then!":biggrin:

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
teaching shit chinese in sg pri sch... if u hve a chance to look @ their materials/text books. :mad:

Dog fart not through.

Last edited:

29ers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok noted, i am 99% sure i wanna put him in an Int'l School in JB..just trying to sort out which one is the "better" choice.

I called up Tenby, the lady over the phone invited me to come down to take a look at the school during schooling hours. Note that they do not open on Saturdays, thus I will only be available to do a site visit during the CNY week.

Some other info i found out in the course of this school hunt.

MOE guideline is that if your kid is a Singaporean it's compulsory to send your kids to school all the way to PSLE. If the kid resides overseas, which they classify Johor as overseas, it's ok for you to send them to a school in the country where the kid resides in.
Will just add the contacts details for those who wish to clarify.. you can also email them.

MOE Compulsory Education Hotline 6879 6458 / 9
[email protected]

I will opt for international school for the networking. I find kids generally need enrichment classes (e.g. for memory, music, languages, presentation and financial skills) on top of the routine school classes. There are limited resources and time a school can provide in its curriculum. You probably need to source for these private classes on your own.